Draft Daddy 'Insider" notes (1 Viewer)

what off the field concerns?

I googled it and saw this from his freshman year

Redshirt freshman Jarod Mayo is grateful to Tennesee coach Phillip Fulmer for standing by him during his arrest on assault charges this spring. Mayo was one of five Vols arrested for assualt during the off-season. All the charges against Mayo were dropped last week when a key witness for the prosecution failed to appear in court to testify.

Mayo has expressed his thanks to Fulmer and tells The Tennessean's Chris Lowe that is ready to show his gratitude in his play on the field.
In what is quickly becoming a recurring theme this off-season, the University of Tennessee has had two off-the-field court cases involving players resolved. Jerod Mayo and Robert Ayers resolved their court cases yesterday and will be reinstated to the team.

Both players were accused of hitting UT student Shadiyah Murphy in a fight that broke out in March between football players and members of the Alpha Phi Psi fraternity. Murphy's jaw was broken in the fight, according to reports in this morning's Tennessean.

The charges against Mayo, a redshirt freshman were dropped when former UT player and witness for the prosectution Thomas Stallwroth failed to appear in court. Mayo was accused of a felony aggravated assult. Ayers pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in the incident and will have pay court costs and restitution to the victim that will not exceed $3000. Should Ayers satisfy these requirements, the charge will be erased from his record, assuming he avoids further run-ins with he law.

Last edited:
If Ellis makes past the Jets.....we'll trade up! No way we let the Bengals get him!

That's kind of the point, I think. Cornerback is very deep and the guy you get in the 2nd or 3rd is just as likely to be a star as the guy you'd get at 10, so there is no value in picking a CB at 10. Linebacker, on the other hand, is NOT deep, so the value is in getting a good one early, even if it's reaching by a spot or two (which, 10 isn't much of a reach at all for Rivers because Denver is said to want him in the worst way and they're right behind us). He may not be Rickey Jackson, but Rivers will be a good starter. DRC could either be Deion Sanders or Alex Molden. If I'm paying a guy top 10 money, I'd rather know that, at worst, he won't be a weakness on my team. Save the gambles on upside for rounds 2-7.

CB command higher salaries and are generally are picked early. I like idea of taking the first or second best from a very strong group of DB over a guy from weaker group of LB, especially if he isn't a tackling machine.

In all fairness, odds are that both will make good starters, not just rivers. If we want a primo DB, I think we need to draft for one. A #10 slot is pretty much a perfect slot money and position wise to get one.

ps: I'm not sure where you feel I'm a DRC guy. There are three and maybe four guys I think could play for this team THIS year. BUT yea DRC is one of them. Any other DB's, I look at more as projects.

Last edited:
At least somebody agrees with my that Rivers is way over-hyped....

That's funny because more than half of this board thinks he's overhyped. I'm not one of them, but it's funny that you think you're alone in that assessment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom