Draft Daddy 'Insider" notes (1 Viewer)

workhorse

No White Flags!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From the "take it for what it's worth" department. Who knows, it may even be from Bongo.

Interesting notes to me is that he picks Mayo as the first LB taken, not Rivers, Jets may take Alberts at 6, and that the Saints and the Bengals love Ellis but won't trade up.

Draft Daddy: Blog : 2008 NFL Draft News as it Breaks: Updated Regularly

Our "inside source" from the Combine, who everybody loved, is back and he's got some more pre-draft opinions and insider tidbits:

Strength's of the upcoming draft:

1. Offensive line, specifically offensive tackle, is the best in the last 30 years. Every scout I talk to says this is the case. G.M.'s also love this group.

2. This draft reminds the old timers of the 1970's for running backs. The group isn't as talented as the offensive lineman, but this draft for running backs is the best we have seen in several decades. There will be very good backs found all the way to round 5.

3. There are some elite cornerback talent in this draft, but there is also depth in this draft for cornerback.

After these three spots the draft is weak, particularly at quarterback and wide receiver.

Random Notes & Opinions from our insider:

East Carolina running back Chris Johnson has been given a first round grade by over half the franchises in the N.F.L.....Eastern Kentucky cornerback Antwaun Molden is now in round one on a few teams' boards....Arkansas' Felix Jones is going to make a name on special teams before he does anything as a running back, according to my sources....Few are saying this publicly, but many N.F.L. teams love Chad Henne and think he's the best quarterback in this draft.

While many think taking Branden Albert in the top 10 is crazy, I know 50 percent of scouts think he can play left tackle and make an impact there in the N.F.L. Also, a key N.F.C. executive recently told me if Steve Hutchinson and Leonard Davis can be paid $50 million to play offensive guard, then taking a prospect like Albert in the top ten makes sense for teams that need an immediate line boost....Some think the New York Jets way overpaid for Alan Faneca and they still need to shore up the middle and offensive tackle, so drafting Albert at #6 overall could solve all their offensive line needs.

I'd draft Tennessee's Jerrod Mayo before any linebacker. I think he is the next Al Wilson or Ray Lewis and he can play either scheme. But he'd probably be best suited to a 4-3 team. I, personally, see him in Cincinnati or Buffalo, if there guys don't fall to them.

Solid inside linebackers for the 3-4 can be gotten in the latter rounds. Curtis Lofton and Beau Bell can fit that bill. Keith Rivers is not a new Keith Bulluck. Bulluck is the best 4-3 outside linebacker in the league and he went at 30 back in 2000. I think Rivers is media hyped. His game film is pretty ordinary. I love Cliff Avril and Stanford Keglar of Purdue more than Rivers as far as 3-4 outside linebackers.

Word in N.F.L. circles is the Oakland Raiders will take Darren McFadden at #4 overall. New Orleans and Cincinnati both covet Sedrick Ellis, but neither will pay the price to move up in the draft to get him because they know the New York Jets will never really take him due to their scheme and the Dwyane Robertson failure.

These are but a few of the things scouts with teams stacking their boards have said. Also, many scouts believe this draft is at its best from 31-65. That is what has many teams excited.

I can see Mayo going 1st... he was more productive in a tougher conference and didn't get all of the hype that Rivers and the rest of the USC guys get.

I don't like the idea of trading up... simply because we have so many holes to fill... we still need a CB, FS, OLB, and DT, and you don't fill holes by giving picks away for one guy.

Would love Mayo, but 10 is too high, and he won't be there in the 2nd. Dream scenario would be trade back with Philly for Sheppard and draft Mayo. We get our CB and impact LB. Then BPA in 2nd, or trade it for Shockey.

Would love Mayo, but 10 is too high, and he won't be there in the 2nd. Dream scenario would be trade back with Philly for Sheppard and draft Mayo. We get our CB and impact LB. Then BPA in 2nd, or trade it for Shockey.

I agree with DD's assessment of Mayo, Rivers, and Albert. Albert is not as polished, but his upside may be right there with Jake Long. I also like Curtis Lofton. I think he has been under rated, but seems to be rising a bit lately.

I would hate to see the Saints give up any draft picks because there will be so many great players in rounds 2-5.

The depth in later rounds is why I'm gun shy about moving up. I certainly don't want to give up our 2nd round pick. I wouldn't mind moving down a bit in the 2nd if a guy we really want isn't there.

From the "take it for what it's worth" department. Who knows, it may even be from Bongo.

Interesting notes to me is that he picks Mayo as the first LB taken, not Rivers, Jets may take Alberts at 6, and that the Saints and the Bengals love Ellis but won't trade up.

Draft Daddy: Blog : 2008 NFL Draft News as it Breaks: Updated Regularly

Our "inside source" from the Combine, who everybody loved, is back and he's got some more pre-draft opinions and insider tidbits:

Strength's of the upcoming draft:

1. Offensive line, specifically offensive tackle, is the best in the last 30 years. Every scout I talk to says this is the case. G.M.'s also love this group.

2. This draft reminds the old timers of the 1970's for running backs. The group isn't as talented as the offensive lineman, but this draft for running backs is the best we have seen in several decades. There will be very good backs found all the way to round 5.

3. There are some elite cornerback talent in this draft, but there is also depth in this draft for cornerback.

After these three spots the draft is weak, particularly at quarterback and wide receiver.

Random Notes & Opinions from our insider:

East Carolina running back Chris Johnson has been given a first round grade by over half the franchises in the N.F.L.....Eastern Kentucky cornerback Antwaun Molden is now in round one on a few teams' boards....Arkansas' Felix Jones is going to make a name on special teams before he does anything as a running back, according to my sources....Few are saying this publicly, but many N.F.L. teams love Chad Henne and think he's the best quarterback in this draft.

While many think taking Branden Albert in the top 10 is crazy, I know 50 percent of scouts think he can play left tackle and make an impact there in the N.F.L. Also, a key N.F.C. executive recently told me if Steve Hutchinson and Leonard Davis can be paid $50 million to play offensive guard, then taking a prospect like Albert in the top ten makes sense for teams that need an immediate line boost....Some think the New York Jets way overpaid for Alan Faneca and they still need to shore up the middle and offensive tackle, so drafting Albert at #6 overall could solve all their offensive line needs.

I'd draft Tennessee's Jerrod Mayo before any linebacker. I think he is the next Al Wilson or Ray Lewis and he can play either scheme. But he'd probably be best suited to a 4-3 team. I, personally, see him in Cincinnati or Buffalo, if there guys don't fall to them.

Solid inside linebackers for the 3-4 can be gotten in the latter rounds. Curtis Lofton and Beau Bell can fit that bill. Keith Rivers is not a new Keith Bulluck. Bulluck is the best 4-3 outside linebacker in the league and he went at 30 back in 2000. I think Rivers is media hyped. His game film is pretty ordinary. I love Cliff Avril and Stanford Keglar of Purdue more than Rivers as far as 3-4 outside linebackers.

Word in N.F.L. circles is the Oakland Raiders will take Darren McFadden at #4 overall. New Orleans and Cincinnati both covet Sedrick Ellis, but neither will pay the price to move up in the draft to get him because they know the New York Jets will never really take him due to their scheme and the Dwyane Robertson failure.

These are but a few of the things scouts with teams stacking their boards have said. Also, many scouts believe this draft is at its best from 31-65. That is what has many teams excited.

I have to say, i agree with just about everything. Specially the Chad Henne part.

The dream scenario for me would be to trade back twice, picking up 2 more 2nd round picks, or a 2nd and a 3rd and fill all our needs: late 1st LB Mayo, 2nd DT Trevor Laws, 2nd CB Antoine Cason, and late 2nd/3rd S Thomas Decoud.

Last edited:
That's a really nice piece. It really shows the problem with taking a LB at #10. Rivers doesn't have the sheer numbers in total tackles to warrant that pick and the FO would never have the nads to take MAYO or even Connor over Rivers. There are tweener LB that grade out well at the combine every year. But it's the "tackling machine" guy who is gonna do well in the pros.

Normally to even talk about taking a LB in the top 10 he needs to be special. Nobody is even close to saying Rivers = R Jackson.

I'm sure Loomis is trying to put a deal in place to jump in front of Cincy. EVERY YEAR it seems "somebody" falls. You know but in all likelyhood if we end up picking at 10, CB will be where the value is.

Personally, a few years from now, Mayo will be viewed as the better player.

ps - forgive me pookie.

Last edited:
Normally to even talk about taking a LB in the top 10 he needs to be special. Nobody is even close to saying Rivers = R Jackson.

You know but in all likelyhood if we end up picking at 10, CB will be where the value is.

That's kind of the point, I think. Cornerback is very deep and the guy you get in the 2nd or 3rd is just as likely to be a star as the guy you'd get at 10, so there is no value in picking a CB at 10. Linebacker, on the other hand, is NOT deep, so the value is in getting a good one early, even if it's reaching by a spot or two (which, 10 isn't much of a reach at all for Rivers because Denver is said to want him in the worst way and they're right behind us). He may not be Rickey Jackson, but Rivers will be a good starter. DRC could either be Deion Sanders or Alex Molden. If I'm paying a guy top 10 money, I'd rather know that, at worst, he won't be a weakness on my team. Save the gambles on upside for rounds 2-7.

I think that could be one of the surprise draft picks, Bengals taking Mayo at 9 (if they Dorsey and Ellis are gone) or just take him at #9 because they like him that much...Its gonna be an interesting draft, there is loads of talent this year its gonna be excited watching who all 32 teams pick.

I think Mayo's "Off the field " concerns or "character issues" keep him from going that early. He also has had some knee injuries. As far as on the field performance he is a tackling machine. The closest thing to Patrick Willis in this draft.

I think Mayo's "Off the field " concerns or "character issues" keep him from going that early. He also has had some knee injuries. As far as on the field performance he is a tackling machine. The closest thing to Patrick Willis in this draft.

Prepare to be bombarded with people asking for a link regarding Mayo's issues. He seems to have jumped ahead of DRC as the "popular player" on this board. Just warning you because you probably irked a bunch of people with that statement.

what off the field concerns?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom