Draft day trades...a thought (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i haven't seen many particulars about how they are handling the specifics about this remote draft, but it seems like there should be some protections with trades.
my suggestion:
no trades while another team is on the clock
each team has 5 minutes to make their pick
run the draft i batches of 5 -- teams 1-5 draft then a 15 minute break for any potential trades, then the trade window closes than batch 6-10 drafts their players (teams 1-5 would have made their trades before the draft starts)

i haven't seen many particulars about how they are handling the specifics about this remote draft, but it seems like there should be some protections with trades.
my suggestion:
no trades while another team is on the clock
each team has 5 minutes to make their pick
run the draft i batches of 5 -- teams 1-5 draft then a 15 minute break for any potential trades, then the trade window closes than batch 6-10 drafts their players (teams 1-5 would have made their trades before the draft starts)
Woudn't work. Teams need to know who is being picked before they commit to a trade. 5 picks ahead is not enough to react to what may be happening. They could have tentative deals, but no way to commit that far ahead of a pick not knowing what is going to happen.

Given that in a traditional 'event' draft, trades are worked by the teams on phones, I'm not sure how this aspect would change?

The issue would be if the teams still have to get a physical card with the selection or trade to the 'front desk' and I would like to think that's entirely replaceable by a telecoms/technology-facilitated direct link instead. I'm no IT expert, but setting up a secure Comms channel for these things is hardly rocket science.

Given that in a traditional 'event' draft, trades are worked by the teams on phones, I'm not sure how this aspect would change?

The issue would be if the teams still have to get a physical card with the selection or trade to the 'front desk' and I would like to think that's entirely replaceable by a telecoms/technology-facilitated direct link instead. I'm no IT expert, but setting up a secure Comms channel for these things is hardly rocket science.
the issue is essentially lag time
i'm sure we've all gone through a bunch of recent tech hiccups recently - dropped meetings, freezing screens, dropped cell reception, crackly audio - teams are dependent on local utilities/services
the built in pauses (and added 'thumbs up' from each team to proceed) would keep everyone on as close to an even playing field as possible

the issue is essentially lag time
i'm sure we've all gone through a bunch of recent tech hiccups recently - dropped meetings, freezing screens, dropped cell reception, crackly audio - teams are dependent on local utilities/services
the built in pauses (and added 'thumbs up' from each team to proceed) would keep everyone on as close to an even playing field as possible
Haha yes, I know I certainly have, every day!

I guess the thing is whether better tech can get delivered/installed to the 'at home' team contingent responsible for drafting. That as well as the always sensible alternative of multiple back up Comms options.

Aren't the Saints taking over a facility set up just for the draft? If we can, others can.

Haha yes, I know I certainly have, every day!

I guess the thing is whether better tech can get delivered/installed to the 'at home' team contingent responsible for drafting. That as well as the always sensible alternative of multiple back up Comms options.

Aren't the Saints taking over a facility set up just for the draft? If we can, others can.
no (to the last question) - Goodell said everyone has to work from home 'to even the playing field' (even though my point is that different broadband service is not even at all)

heard today that there will be 2 main lines/rooms
one with just coach/ML/Ireland? and maybe DA was the 4th
then another line with all the scouts that SA/ML will host so they can unmute who they need to hear from (presumably the scout who knows X player the best)

Interesting stuff. I wonder what actually led Goodell to 'leveling the playing field'. Given he normally only gives a damn about money and pleasing the most powerful owners, I wonder whose interests this served.

It might come down to, "Hey you picked the player I wanted. Do you want the player I picked". LOL

Interesting stuff. I wonder what actually led Goodell to 'leveling the playing field'. Given he normally only gives a damn about money and pleasing the most powerful owners, I wonder whose interests this served.
Goodell has one purpose! To make as much money for the 32 league owners as possible. They all share equally in the league profits. So a level playing field for ALL teams is in his best interest, or else. And “else” is not an option he wants to part of. End of story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom