Draft deep at CB shallow at DT...it's obvious... (2 Viewers)

DT is the most important need for us on defense. Just upgrading this one position can upgrade the quality of play we get from the LB's and CB's by making it easier for them.

DT is the most important need for us on defense. Just upgrading this one position can upgrade the quality of play we get from the LB's and CB's by making it easier for them.

I agree with the need to upgrade the DT position, but how often do rookie DT's light it up their first season?

I agree with the need to upgrade the DT position, but how often do rookie DT's light it up their first season?

I think that DT light it up alot more that CB do. You very seldomly here of a CB lighting it up as a rookie unless he is an absolute stud. There is no one like that in this draft. CB is alot harder to transition in the NFL than DT.

I think that DT light it up alot more that CB do. You very seldomly here of a CB lighting it up as a rookie unless he is an absolute stud. There is no one like that in this draft. CB is alot harder to transition in the NFL than DT.

I'd have to agree with you on your point, but I was looking for examples of rookie DT's because I don't have the answer.

Pretty often honestly...more often than CB's.

OKoye, just last year bolstered the entire DL for the Texans. The year we drafted Sullivan, Kevin Williams had a very good year for a rookie. 2 years ago Ngata helped Ray lewis look like Ray Lewis again.

A good DT can excell right away.....the same cannot be said for CB's, the CB would have to be great to excell year 1.

Trading up worked with Jamal Brown, right? We had a need, saw a player that could fill it, and went after him. We stepped directly on the Panthers toes and I loved it!

I have no problem trading up this year, and many mocks have us doing just that. Look at the difference Albert Haynesworth made to the Titans Defense, night and day when out on the field. Maybe Ellis or Dorsey could do this also and we finally replace La'RoiGlover after all these years. I like Brain Young, but he's not a difference maker.

DT should be a shorter learning curve for a rookie--beat the guy in front of you and get to the ball.

That being said, I really got the feeling Payton and Gary Gibbs are scared to put a rookie DB on the field (probably because of the learning curve for the variety of special Defenses).

Otherwise, how could they justify letting David Jones get signed off the practice squad and keeping DBs on their last legs?

I think being that close to the Super Bowl led to fear of rookies getting burnt, ie, play the vets and get to the Bowl. (Which we all know didn't work.)

In hindsight, wouldn't we have been further ahead to play Usama Young & David Jones (and maybe Josh Lay or Anwar Phillips) in a sink or swim to gain experience? Ala the niners back when they started 3 rookies and a vet back when Ronnie Lott came into the league. They developed into the DBs of the niners' SB teams.

The vets we kept over the rookies are gone now, so are a couple of the rookies--and we still didn't make the play-offs. Sometimes you just have to throw them in and let them learn from their mistakes and hope they learn from it instead of keep repeating them. (Freddy Thomas & Jason David the last 2 years--FT was just at the end of his career, while JD needs to show he learned last year, or be gone.)

I have to resist lamenting over letting David Jones go. It's done and I can't change it now!

I have to resist lamenting over letting David Jones go. It's done and I can't change it now!

I'm not losing any sleep over it... yet... lol
I just meant that if SP and GG weren't so scared of rookie DBs, we might be sitting pretty right now. Then again, maybe not.. who know.. ;)

Anyone else on the McKelvin bandwagon with me?? i just think it would be 2for1 to fill a need at cornerback while also getting a great return man.

If the priority is CB then don't bother trading up...if the priority is DT,then trade up for Ellis or Dorsey. If the previous posts are correct about starting a rookie CB then it looks like we'll be trading. As the stats proved last year having JD in was almost as bad as having no one, i fail to see how starting a rookie could be any worse.

The DTs are pretty deep too.. Ellis, Dorsey, and Balmer are all first-round picks, though Balmer's not a top-ten pick like the other two. Laws is a very solid early/mid second round pick. Dre Moore is another second round DT.

DT has only suddenly become a need with the prospect of getting Dorsey/Ellis. How many people thought it was a major need last year in the 07 draft? We had the exact same starters and I don't remember hearing anyone on here talking about how destitute our interior lineman position was.

Can the position be upgraded? Sure, but I dont see it as a huge need like I see the cb position.

DT has only suddenly become a need with the prospect of getting Dorsey/Ellis. How many people thought it was a major need last year in the 07 draft? We had the exact same starters and I don't remember hearing anyone on here talking about how destitute our interior lineman position was.

Can the position be upgraded? Sure, but I dont see it as a huge need like I see the cb position.

Totally agree.... Last year I dont know what alot of you saw but no pressure was going to help Jason David cover better, iff you throw it high in JD's direction your WR was going to catch the ball.

I am hoping somehow we can get Leto and Dorsey, but if we cant get a good CB we are going to get killed on the deep ball again this upcoming season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom