Draft may get pushed back (tug-o-war ensuing) (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Last edited:

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Point out to Jerry Jones that face lifts are considered non-essential surgery and are not being performed right now, and he'll quickly realize just how serious things are.
If you've got money you can get things done right now. When they're saying they have a shortage of tests so you shouldn't get tested without symptoms...Then you hear of actors, athletes and politicians testing positive without symptoms it's clear people with money and power do what they want.

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see an issue with delaying it at least 45-60 days to see how the landscape evolves.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the draft gets pushed back, then watch out. It won't be a good sign of things to come.
If the draft goes as planned or is delayed, it has nothing to do with the current situation and a possible delay of the season.

General Managers are looking for the draft to be postponed because they don't have the tools to carry evaluations, trade proposals, medicals, etc. They just want to do their job in the best conditions possible in order to bring the best results. Just like any one of us.

The NFL may want to keep the draft on the current dates because, since nothing else is happening, it would be the only subject of discussion from here to the end of April. This is not about competitive balance, it is about controlling the narrative.

And finally, as we explained to you on a different thread. The possible delay on the start of the season, won't be because of the decision of the NFL owners. The delay will be a consequence of municipal, state and federal decisions about when people can return to have social gatherings, and the amount of people that can be together in one room.

Right now, nobody knows how long this will last, and we should be patient and listen to the scientists and people who are building statistical models to understand when it will be safe for the population to return to normal life.

j4m2b

Rookie
Reaction score
I had read this was the plan going forward. Old-school, pre-1990s style draft done by phone. With perhaps a remote announcement of each pick by the commish for the purposes of TV. No rock concert going on during each selection like last year.

I feel the draft has gone way past what is should be with the red carpet and concerts. I would welcome a basic draft with attention to team needs and players.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As it has been said by others, teams want to meet these guys in person so they can play mind games with them and let the team docs examine them. I don't see that happening with skype or face time.

MJ in Calif

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think the NFL as a hole is taking a wait and see with respect to this as the draft is still a month away. Testing is ramping up in a big way in the coming days and in the next week or so, we will have a much better understanding of this covid19 pandemic. The way it is looking, New YorK is the epicenter and is accounting for more than half the cases. LA county is pretty bad too but nowhere near New York. I also think that the optics is going to fade as the number of cases begins to level off as well and the people will be pushing more of a get-back-to-normal existence. My take is currently there is a 75% chance the draft will go forward as planned.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the NFL as a hole is taking a wait and see with respect to this as the draft is still a month away. Testing is ramping up in a big way in the coming days and in the next week or so, we will have a much better understanding of this covid19 pandemic. The way it is looking, New YorK is the epicenter and is accounting for more than half the cases. LA county is pretty bad too but nowhere near New York. I also think that the optics is going to fade as the number of cases begins to level off as well and the people will be pushing more of a get-back-to-normal existence. My take is currently there is a 75% chance the draft will go forward as planned.
Makes sense but I'll suggest a 50% possibilty. Most of the progress is still slow to be implemented on a national scale (quick and widely available testing, protective gear for health workers and venalators for the sick).

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It's not really mainly about the Athletic testing from Pro Days or getting a 40 time, it's about getting tangible Medical clearance on players that still have concerns with Surgeries during the off-season... and also about players with not football related issues, they need in person sit downs to get a better picture on the mental aspect of a prospect.

Some teams have extremely strict policies regarding Medical, and Psychological clearances on prospects.

Some teams will not even have Tua on their Draft board if they don't get the physical MRI slides of his Hip joint looking healthy.

A guy like Linebacker, Willie Gay Jr. is another example.. he has 2nd round speed and talent.. but he punched a teammate in the face, and cheated on a Chemistry test... a GM needs more background information on what happened to prompt those decisions and if this is just an example of a kid making a bad mistake, or if he has legitimate character issues that will follow him into the league before they will even consider drafting him.

This is vital information that directly effects the decision making of building your team for the future and it cannot be obtained right now, and GMs have a legit case for getting the Draft pushed back a few weeks if it means they can obtain this info.
I don't see why that couldn't be done with a video call interview

SammyIsGod

Can he play safety? Yup!
Reaction score
This seems like it would affect us more than other teams. The brass has been great at hitting on our picks for several years. We need to have another good draft, with some immediate difference makers, like CGJ, to go all in on Drew's window. If they can't do their homework the way they want to and have had success, that could hurt if it leads to draft whiffs. If it were a rebuilding year or transitional time, I'd say start trading this year's picks for future ones to use when things are back to normal. Gonna make it harder to nail this draft and find immediate contributors.

Reaction score
From the news that i saw recently, the draft should be maintain at the original date but without a crowd off course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom