Draft may get pushed back (tug-o-war ensuing) (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Last edited:
If the league still wants to have its big “Draft” event - it makes sense to push it back while we’re still in a social distancing phase. Doesn’t mean the season has to be pushed back - but the reality now is that getting a bunch of people together is unnecessary and against public health policy.

But this is 2020 - the NFL could have the actual mechanical draft using technology. Having a “draft” doesn’t mean a big production and a stage. The league and individual team officials can use Zoom and other collaborative platforms. This is totally do-able. Many companies and groups are having to transition to this reality for now - it’s what they do to keep functioning.

If the league postpones the draft, it’s because they want to try to have their big event with TV revenue and not about having the teams be able to draft and manage their roster as usual. Maybe it will work out and the league can have it in late May (or even June?) or so and it’s not that disruptive. Or maybe they should just go ahead and try to make it work with a remote draft. Depends on what their priorities are.

Last edited:
That’s not their reasoning. They say they haven’t been able to do their normal pre-draft work (i.e. player evaluations)

Is that realistic? Are they going to be able to do a reset in May (if we’re lucky) and have a combine and pro days? I suppose it’s possible but it seems really unrealistic. Like in denial, unrealistic. Unless they just forgo all the usual pre-camp stuff. Have the draft in June.

I don’t follow...
He is insinuating if the Draft is pushed back that inevitably Off-season programs, Training-Camp, and the start of the regular season would be delayed as a resulting effect of that; which I don't necessarily agree with depending on how delayed the Draft would be pushed back to.

Just do the draft without a live crowd.
Like mentioned the lack of the crowd or public viewing event isn't the issue, GMs and scouting departments feel they don't have the adequate "Medical" and "Psychological" evaluations of players enough to make the best educated decisions.

They want more time to get proper medical info on players like Tua (hip injury) or Laviska Shenault. (core surgery, other college injuries..)

I mean... I know our player evaluation is very thorough. So, it only stands to help us. We don't wanna force a draft andbe upset if we strike out.

He is insinuating if the Draft is pushed back that inevitably Off-season programs, Training-Camp, and the start of the regular season would be delayed as a resulting effect of that; which I don't necessarily agree with depending on how delayed the Draft would be pushed back to.

Like mentioned the lack of the crowd or public viewing event isn't the issue, GMs and scouting departments feel they don't have the adequate "Medical" and "Psychological" evaluations of players enough to make the best educated decisions.

They want more time to get proper medical info on players like Tua (hip injury) or Laviska Shenault. (core surgery, other college injuries..)

Understood....

Is that realistic? Are they going to be able to do a reset in May (if we’re lucky) and have a combine and pro days? I suppose it’s possible but it seems really unrealistic. Like in denial, unrealistic.
It's not really mainly about the Athletic testing from Pro Days or getting a 40 time, it's about getting tangible Medical clearance on players that still have concerns with Surgeries during the off-season... and also about players with not football related issues, they need in person sit downs to get a better picture on the mental aspect of a prospect.

Some teams have extremely strict policies regarding Medical, and Psychological clearances on prospects.

Some teams will not even have Tua on their Draft board if they don't get the physical MRI slides of his Hip joint looking healthy.

A guy like Linebacker, Willie Gay Jr. is another example.. he has 2nd round speed and talent.. but he punched a teammate in the face, and cheated on a Chemistry test... a GM needs more background information on what happened to prompt those decisions and if this is just an example of a kid making a bad mistake, or if he has legitimate character issues that will follow him into the league before they will even consider drafting him.

This is vital information that directly effects the decision making of building your team for the future and it cannot be obtained right now, and GMs have a legit case for getting the Draft pushed back a few weeks if it means they can obtain this info.

It's not really mainly about the Athletic testing from Pro Days or getting a 40 time, it's about getting tangible Medical clearance on players that still have concerns with Surgeries during the off-season... and also about players with not football related issues, they need in person sit downs to get a better picture on the mental aspect of a prospect.

Some teams have extremely strict policies regarding Medical, and Psychological clearances on prospects.

Some teams will not even have Tua on their Draft board if they don't get the physical MRI slides of his Hip joint looking healthy.

A guy like Linebacker, Willie Gay Jr. is another example.. he has 2nd round speed and talent.. but he punched a teammate in the face, and cheated on a Chemistry test... a GM needs more background information on what happened to prompt those decisions and if this is just an example of a kid making a bad mistake, or if he has legitimate character issues that will follow him into the league before they will even consider drafting him.

These is vital information that directly effects the decision making of building your team for the future and it cannot be obtained right now, and GMs have a legit case for getting the Draft pushed back a few weeks if it means they can obtain this info.

Yeah that makes sense - but what is the real time window on being able to get that? Meaning, how many days (X days pre-draft) does that require? Is it 15? 30?

If it’s not already available, that must mean that it requires the team’s own independent review (I.e. team docs or whatever). And you can’t open that window until the virus mitigation measures are lifted. Plus they won’t be all lifted at the same time.

Seems like a lot left in question - but pushing back for now makes sense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom