Draft may get pushed back (tug-o-war ensuing) (1 Viewer)

Yeah that makes sense - but what is the real time window on being able to get that? Meaning, how many days (X days pre-draft) does that require? Is it 15? 30?

If it’s not already available, that must mean that it requires the team’s own independent review (I.e. team docs or whatever). And you can’t open that window until the virus mitigation measures are lifted. Plus they won’t be all lifted at the same time.

Seems like a lot left in question - but pushing back for now makes sense.
I would say likely 3-4 weeks? (guessing)

Enough time to open up travel restrictions, and allow a team doctor to examine a prospect, or a prospect to have his own personal Physician do the required testing, imaging and then make that info available to teams.

No doubt it's a tricky proposition and it's going to require a collaborative effort between all 32 teams to share certain information regarding prospects to each other, or make that information readily available to keep the Draft process on track in an expedient manner.

Although it likely seems irreverent it's looking like the league is going to stand firm on the timetable and teams are just going to have to Go based on whatever information they have up to that point.

Is that realistic? Are they going to be able to do a reset in May (if we’re lucky) and have a combine and pro days? I suppose it’s possible but it seems really unrealistic. Like in denial, unrealistic. Unless they just forgo all the usual pre-camp stuff. Have the draft in June.
Yeah...that's the only way I can see that happening. Yes this sucks. But it sucks for everyone fairly equally. I dont know if there is a "good" solution.

unnamed (1).jpg
"I really hope everything goes as planned(in my mind)". "Can't have football cancelled too"(in my mind just jump). :idunno:

Which owners are pushing to maintain the April dates?

The draft will be pushed back because the optics for the league will be so bad in so many parts of the country, especially the urban areas where teams are located.

And hopefully, after this experience, we will see greater participation in drills and testing at the combine because this year some players will be hurt by sitting out the tests. There is no excuse for not running the 40. This year the college game film will be even more important in player evaluations, and the teams with the best scouting departments will shine even more.

Some people are just in denial about how big of a public threat this really is. Right now we have an open dispute between public health officials and economic interests. All the public health officials have been pretty clear: at least two months social distancing (that would be around late May or early June). Some economic groups are protesting the idea of the economy grinding to a hault for that long . China started dealing with this back in November and they are just now starting to loosen restrictions (which is about four months). This idea that the billionaires in the NFL are more influential than the ones in the MLB or the NBA is just illogical. The NFL could hold a Zoom draft but that will not be the ratings event that they want, so it will probably be delayed as will everything else. Louisiana has more deaths per captia than anywhere else right now, probably because of Mardi Gras.
I love sports like everyone else but the health of my love ones is more important

I wonder if this increases the likelihood that teams will try to trade up for "sure things" rather than take risks on players they haven't been able to vet as thoroughly as they'd like.

Keep the draft as scheduled. We have no freaking sports right now. Imagine the TV ratings. I watched a virtual nascar race for Coach Pete’s sake. And I don’t watch nascar.

I remember Payton saying he expected free agency to get pushed back. I get they want to have their visits but everyone is playing by the same rules so I think it’s fair.

Let's be realistic, if the NFL didn't push back free agency, and instead came up with new rules for physicals, the likelihood of them pushing back the draft is limited too. Frankly I think the NFL is leaning into the fact that free agency, and soon-to-be the draft, is the only sports of note right now.

They had the combine. They’ve got the game films. Have the draft, good grief.

if this gets done then IMO, certain positions drafted will simply not be effective players this year. You will still get a lot of impact from edge rushers, running backs, etc.., but the shorter learning curve for QBs, Wideouts and other skill positions will in effect make most players two year projects.

I love sports like everyone else but the health of my love ones is more important

It’s an event that literally every single person involved can accomplish without leaving their houses.

The NFL could hold a Zoom draft but that will not be the ratings event that they want

You wanna bet? There is no basketball, no baseball, no hockey, no sports of any kind. They would have huge ratings if they had it right now.

Louisiana has more deaths per captia than anywhere else right now, probably because of Mardi Gras.

Don’t understand what this has to do with the draft but pointing out that’s south Louisiana. But I’m paying for it. We have only 16 cases in my parish and I’m on full lockdown. Shut down I-49 and let me go about my business.

I don’t see what the draft has to do with that.

People on this site can list, in order, what players we should take in what position so if paid professionals don't know who they want at this point they're never going to know. Have the draft....do it remotely. 2020 is a different world so we have to approach this new world differently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom