Draft needs, in order of importance. What do you think? (1 Viewer)

PaulinP

Very Banned
Reaction score
In free agency, we focused on the front 7. We added McCray, Vilma, and Morgan. Morgan cannot be relied upon to be a consistant threat; Vilma and McCray can. We also added Gay to the secondary. Our o-line, with the exception of Brown and Evans, is young and inexperienced. If there is a God and if that God is a Saints' fan, Deuce will be back, but I'm agnostic so I'm not sure. If he is back next season and can give 90% of the production he has in the past then we should be okay in the backfield; if not, I will buy a rosery and pray that PT is the next UDFA star RB like Willie Parker. The only position I think we do not need help in the draft is WR. We basically have the best overall WR that hasn't played in the NFL yet in Meachem, who is better than any other WR in this draft. Sooo...

Pick 10 should focus on BPA bc we can use any of the top 15 best player that are not WR's. Ellis, McKelvin, Clady, Rivers, DRC, Albert, Williams, and Mendenhall might be available. Barring a Saint's trade up or down, that is who we should pick in that order. Ellis or McKelvin preferably bc a good D-line will make a weak secondary better, and vice versa. If no WR is open due to good coverage, the front 7 can get to the QB.

So basically I am saying that DT and DB are the areas that should be addressed first. Which ever is drafted with pick 10, the other position should be addressed in round 2 or 3 by drafting or trading. However, the only other position I would find reasonable for round 2 is OL(T, G, OR C) we need them all. Pollak is the best C in the draft so he is an option, at #40 if available.

IMO DT, OLB, DB, and OL need to be addressed with the first 3 picks; not in that order, but in the order of BPA in those positions. Ideally, a trade down to give us 4 picks in the first 3 rounds would be the best way to improve our team. I love Dorsey and Ellis as much as anyone, but tradeing up for them would leave us with only 5 picks in 7 rounds when we need to still pick up DT, WOLB, S, TE, CB, T, G, C, and K.

We have witnessed 2 offseasons from this regime. The 2006 draft, given time can go down as one of the best ever. The 2007 draft looks poor now, but Young, Aleman, and Meachem can change that. If they can just produce, the draft will not be awful. And in both drafts, the FO picked players from school most people haven't heard of in later rounds. That is why I feel that picking BPA for positions needed is the way to go early because of how well this staff locates talent in small schools that others don't in later rounds.

So, through mocks and reading and doing the things we all do, I concluded that the needs are as follows.
In order if importance in the draft:
1. DT/DB (CB OR S)
3. OT
4. OLB
5. C
6. TE
7. K

Thats not the order they shold be picked in its just the order of importance IMO. For example, if we get DRC in the 1st, and in the 2nd, if all elite DT, T, and, OLB are taken; we should draft Pollak at C. Get it? Alright, thanks yall. I like to hear comments, good or bad.

In order if importance in the draft:
1. DT/DB (CB OR S)
3. OT
4. OLB
5. C
6. TE
7. K

OK, I'm not knocking you for this, cause it really is 1 and 1a, but the DT/DB for 1 was a good sidestep of the almost religious question around here. What's more important? A good pass rush or a good secondary?

:scratch:

pass rusher thats why i said dt/ db. i should have clarified. but i think a better db will be available. i think ellis and dorsey will be gone and then we will have our choice of db. a trade down to get balmer wouldnt bother me much becasue he will help vilma too.

They should draft BPA, with a preference for need.

what dont you get? if the best C is a better player than the best DT, T or OLB available than you draft C bc it is higher on the list. but if someone like Mayo is available or Laws then you take one of them. bc their positions are higher on the list

My Version of Saints Needs

My version of Saints needs:

1. DT
2. CB
3. OLB (possibly OLB/DE)
4. FS
5. C/G (Someone who can play both)
6. TE
7. RB (Could go up depending on Deuce's health)
8. OT
9. K (to compete or at least do kickoffs)

I haven't included DE; I am assuming that the Saints will reward Will Smith with a long-term contract. He is arguably the best defensive player.

what dont you get? if the best C is a better player than the best DT, T or OLB available than you draft C bc it is higher on the list. but if someone like Mayo is available or Laws then you take one of them. bc their positions are higher on the list

What don't I get?

Lets see, in your original post you have: (edit, missed my last quote, just as well, I'll leave it all as it is)

"
"in the 2nd, if all elite DT, T, and, OLB are taken; we should draft Pollak at C. Get it?

No.

ddd

You have us taking a C in the second. I sure consider that absurd.

So, I don't get it.

ddd

We've put ourself in position to go BPA. And thats what will do.

ddd this is not a mock draft. if you had paid attention to it i thought i made that clear. it is some what of a big board, but by poition. how can you say that drafting the best C in the draft doesnt make sense if there is no better olb dt or ol

We've put ourself in position to go BPA. And thats what will do.

Agreed Bonch,

It's just that I feel that 3 CBs (in addition to the usual suspects, DT, etc), will go high, and at least some of the next 5 will have to fall over dead before we pick a C in the second round. BPA? It won't be a C, no matter how good he is as a C.

ddd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom