Draft perspectives: biggest needs as of right now? (1 Viewer)

Damn bra'.. LoL.. I didn't see your post .. and correct you are, except for one thing,
he WILL be FLYING under the radar, Green's a freak!!.. Can't ya just picture him in the
Black-n-Gold ?!?!?!?.. I still can't believe someone besides me pays attention to
Hawai'i.. LoL.. here's to AG as a Saint!!!!

NWSaint.

Here, here!:beerchug:
Green seriously reminds me of Corey Dillion or Deuce.

Mikel leshoure recently had a 330 yard game against Northwestern too so both of them could be 1st round considerations before it's all said and done.

I think that we really need to keep ivory fresh next year so pairing him with another bruiser would be ideal.

I'll get killed for this but what about K. Shephard for LSU. I think he is 6'1 235 MLB but people project him to move to OLB. Leading tackler and very intelligent. Also good in coverage and not injury prone.

I think a play making WR is one of our biggest needs. Assuming after this long Meachem can only play on run downs and the occasional deep ball, Henderson still has suspect hands and doesn't seem to have his burst anymore, and Moore is more of a possession guy like Colston, it sure would be nice to have someone to stretch defenses. Right now that's Jimmy Graham IMO, and I hate to have that all on a rookie TE in his 2nd year of football.

I do agree DT and LB are concerns though.

I think the biggest need is unquestionably pass rush, whether that be a DE to play opposite(or replace) Smith or a DT. The pass rush has been pretty poor, they rarely generate pressure with a 4 man rush.
There is also a lot of inconsistency in the blitz from what I've observed. There are games where the blitzes are extremely effective(Pittsburgh) and then other games (Seattle comes to mind) where they didn't even breathe on the QB no matter how many they send. The bottom line is they need more pressure from the front 4 so they don't have to blitz.
Look out for Jadeveon Clowney in 3 years, he is the number one high school prospect at DE at the moment and some scouts have said he is the best prospect they have ever seen. Based on potential, I'd like the Saints to take a look at him in a couple of years.

I think a play making WR is one of our biggest needs. Assuming after this long Meachem can only play on run downs and the occasional deep ball, Henderson still has suspect hands and doesn't seem to have his burst anymore, and Moore is more of a possession guy like Colston, it sure would be nice to have someone to stretch defenses. Right now that's Jimmy Graham IMO, and I hate to have that all on a rookie TE in his 2nd year of football.

I do agree DT and LB are concerns though.

I agree we need a nice speed guy. I think we've seen the peak of Henderson but I hope I'm wrong.

I am no LSU homer...but I am just impressed with Drake Nevis...he is going to shoot up the boards but if someway he makes it to 32, he would be my pick. Him and Ellis on 2nd and 3rd downs would be a wrecking crew in the middle. I think Nevis going to be special if he is motivated....so as much as I want a LB I think Nevis would help more. Somewhere in the draft we will need another LB probably.

I am sure we will look at Coefield in FA so who knows what are needs will be come draft time

I am no LSU homer...but I am just impressed with Drake Nevis...he is going to shoot up the boards but if someway he makes it to 32, he would be my pick. Him and Ellis on 2nd and 3rd downs would be a wrecking crew in the middle. I think Nevis going to be special if he is motivated....so as much as I want a LB I think Nevis would help more. Somewhere in the draft we will need another LB probably.

I am sure we will look at Coefield in FA so who knows what are needs will be come draft time, I think Derrick Johnson is also going to be a FA next year.

Forgive me if I am warey of LSU defensive tackles... The last couple have really not panned out well, but I have to agree that Nevis looks like a real player.

Forgive me if I am warey of LSU defensive tackles... The last couple have really not panned out well, but I have to agree that Nevis looks like a real player.

The thing that concerns me with Nevis is his size at 6'1'' 285 lbs and can he transition that to the pro game. No doubt he's been dominant in college but his lack of size can hurt him in the NFL. Bigger lineman could take advantage of him and really make him a liability versus the run.

I want to see what he does in the Senior Bowl and I'll probably have to go back and watch the Florida game and see how he did against a NFL talent like Mike Pouncey.

If Da'Quan Bowers or Jeremy Beal were there in the 1st round, I'd jump at one of them. But although it's still very early, I doubt either will still be there at the bottom of the 1st round. So, to just throw out an early draft projection - using only players I've listed:

1 - Jarvis Jackson, Clemson, NT, 6'4 315lbs. Right now I grade him as a solid late 1st to early 2nd round pick.

2 - Ryan Winterswyk, Boise St., DE, 6'4 267lbs. He could go hight than the bottom of the 2nd, but a mid to late 2nd round grade is where I have him now.

3 - Colin McCarthy, Miami, OLB, 6'3 249lbs. I think he'll likely be a mid to late 2nd round pick, but he could fall to the 3rd rd pick we get from the skins.

Please note, this is still very early. I wouldn't be surprised to see Winterswyk go as high as the late 1st. He's a gifted player pass rusher. But, there you go.

Enough about defense ....let's talk back up QB's for goodness sake!!!!!

#1 priority == OLB. Lewis is probably the most well known out there. The class is not as good this year as last.

#2 DL - Nevis, Fairley, Dareus, Bowers are all good prospects. Sadly, they may all be gone before we come close to picking ( particularly @ 32 ).

Tough year to draft defense, at least for our needs - should be interesting.

Players highlighted in RED are in a final YEAR of their current contract.

Offense
WR: Marques Colston |Lance Moore | Adrian Arrington
TE: Jeremy Shockey | David Thomas | Jimmy Graham | Tory Humphrey
LT: Jermon Bushrod | Charles Brown
LG: Carl Nicks
C: Jon Goodwin | Matt Tennent
RG: Jahri Evans
RT: Jon Stinchcomb | Zach Streif
WR: Robert Meachem | Devery Henderson | Courtney Roby
QB: Drew Brees | Chase Daniel | Sean Canfield
RB: Reggie Bush | Pierre Thomas | Chris Ivory | Julius Jones | Ladell Betts | Lynell hamilton | PJ Hill
FB: Heath Evans

Defense
DE: Alex Brown | Jimmy Wilkerson
DT: Sedrick Ellis | Anthony Hargrove
NT: Remi Ayodele | Demario Pressley
DE: Will Smith | Jeff Charleston | Junior Galette
SLB: Danny Clark | Jo-Lonn Dunbar | Jonathan Casillas
MLB: Jon Vilma | Marvin Mitchell
WLB: Scott Shanle | Anthony Waters | Stanley Arnoux
CB: Tracy Porter | Patrick Robinson | Reggie Jones
CB: Jabari Greer | Leigh Torrence | Randall Gay
SS: Roman Harper | Pierson Prioleau | Chris Reis
FS: Malcolm Jenkins | Darren Sharper | Usama Young

BLOG CONTENT BY: MLU
Posted 11-26-2010 at 06:56 PM by MLU

NFL TEAM NEEDS
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/team-needs/NFC/South

2011 NFL DRAFT PROSPECT RANKING
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom