Draft perspectives: biggest needs as of right now? (1 Viewer)

draftfreak

Dreamer of Dreams
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't looked at contracts (I know Reggie's contract is up at the end of the season), but am curious what people see as our biggest needs as of right now.

Offense:
QB: Brees - Daniels. I would love to bring in some depth here but this isn't a priority at all.
RB: Bush, Thomas, Ivory, Jones, Betts, Hamilton. Bush's contract is up and I believe Betts and Jones have just one year contracts, so this could become somewhat of a priority. However, if we resign Jones then we'll have Thomas, Ivory, Jones, and Hamilton next year and that doesn't bother me much at all - even if we lose Bush (although I'd love to keep him at a cheaper price). So this isn't a huge priority if we resign Jones.
FB: Evans. This is not a priority but later round depth might be a consideration.
WR: Colston, Moore, Meachem, Henderson, Roby, Arrington. To my knowledge, we have most of these guys locked up. This is not a priority at all.
TE: Shockey, Thomas, Graham, Humphrey. I'm not sure about contracts, but even if we just bring back Thomas and Graham, this is still not a huge priority area. If we bring back Shockey too, it's not a priority at all.
OT: Stinchcomb, Bushrod, Brown, and Strief. I believe of these guys are locked up and Bushrod is having a pro bowl type year. Not a priority.
OG: Evans, Nicks. Not a priority.
OC: Goodwin, Tennant. Not a priority.

Defense:
DE: Smith, Brown, Wilkerson, Charleston, Gallette. IMO, we need a big time rusher. This may be our biggest need. Smith is pretty good, but Brown, Wilkerson, and Charleston are just average. Gallette is an unknown. If we can get a top flight pass rusher, we could become awesome on defense.
DT: Ellis, Hargrove. This is an okay to very good group. Depth is a small priority.
NT: Ayodele. He's played beyond his talent this year, but he's our ONLY NT and we need to improve here - despite his play this year. Depth is also a priority here.
OLB: Shanle, Clark, Dunbar, Casillas, Arnoux, Waters. This, IMO, is our 2nd biggest priority. Casillas was hurt and Arnoux is always hurt, Clark and Dunbar are too slow and even Shanle can be upgraded. As a group, this is our weakest link. Huge Priority.
MLB: Vilma, Mitchell. They are both darn good. Not a priority at all.
CB: Greer, Porter, Robinson, Torrence, Gay. I'm not sure about contracts, but I believe we have them all signed through next season. They are all good. Add in Jenkins and Young. This is not a priority at all.
FS: Jenkins, Young. I'm assuming Sharper won't be back next season, but I'm more than good with these two at FS.
SS: Harper, Reis, Giordano. This group could stand an upgrade - so a moderate priority.

K - Hartley needs competition next summer.
P - not a priority at all - we have the best punter in the league.

So, IMO, our biggest needs are a pass rushing DE, a speedy - instinctual OLB, a big block-eating NT, a SS that can cover, maybe a super quick 3rd down type back, and depth and speed at OLB.

What do you guys think?

Very close to the mark. When you have the 32nd pick, you pretty much have to go for the best player available. A better pass rush from the defensive line would be my first priority as well.

Good list but you might want to go check some of the contracts.

At RB - Bush is signed through next year, PT and Jones are FAs.

On the o-line - Bushrod and Streif are FAs. Goodwin is a FA. And Nicks should be a RFA.

Agree with our needs. We need a pass rush from our DEs and some athletiscm at OLB is sorely needed.

A pass rushing DE, a run stopping NT, and a athletic pass rushing/coverage OLB. Not in that order, necessarily.

To me it's more about impact that needs since we don't have real needs
For example, a DT/NT is more of a need than a DE but a very good DE would a much bigger impact. Same as WR or RB, we don't need one but getting a very good player would have a huge impact.

It's all going to depend on which of the many FA's they are able to resign. Way too early to tell with the uncertainty of the CBA.

Possible DEs to keep an eye on:

1. Robert Quinn, North Carolina, 6'5 274lbs. He is a junior who hasn't played this year due to off field issues but was considered a top-10 pick prior to the season. His stock has dropped and he may go back to UNC for another year. He had an 11 sack season in '09.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson, 6'4 282lbs. He has 16 sacks this season and is an athletic specimen. He has super long arms and amazing strength. At his size and with his amazing power, he can simply will his way to the QB but he has great hips and can really turn and run. He still needs to be more technical and consistent and he has unlimited upside. He's a true junior.

3. Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma, 6'3 268lbs. He's having a huge senior season and is likely to go in the top 15 but if he drops, he could be a huge pass rushing pick up. He is solid against the run and is an excellent athlete with a super quick first step.

4. Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State, 6'4 288lbs. He's also having a big senior season but he isn't being used as he was in '09, so his sacks are down some. He has an awesome first step and is very instinctive. He's a better pass rusher than his '10 stats indicate - has super long arms.

5. Ryan Winterswyk, Boise St., 6'4 267lbs. He is a pure pass rusher with a huge heart and great instincts. He's also a solid athlete - but not an awesome athlete. He lets blockers get into his body a bit too much, but he is relentless and no one has better instincts.

6. Jabaal Sheard, PITT, 6'4 266lbs. He's a very underrated DE with 9 plus sacks this year. He can be a bit inconsistent, but so can PITT as a team. He has very good athleticism, and long arms and a great first step - can get engulfed at times.

This is only a list of pass rushing DEs. I'm not including a couple top DE prospects that aren't true pass rushers.

the way this season and past seasons have gone with our running back health, im convinced that we will draft a RB this year

i dont think we need one and we dont run enough to merit spending a high draft pick on one......but if someone slips, like a noel devine, that fits best in a pass first offense, dont be surprised if we scoop them up

after watching bushrod get spanked again last night i think we need to look at OT early in the draft and i also believe we need a good NT to play next to ellis. sed is having a standout season and ayodele is playing well above what hes known for.....but i think hes only a backup and an upgrade could be imminent

Anyone seen Kerrigan play? He beasted it up against Michigan and totally blew up every other play to the extent that they benched Denard..

I've also fallen in love with a new late round RB (?? dunno if he'd be a late rounder but i just don't see him mentioned anywhere) and was just reminded why :ezbill:
Purely a depth guy but with the way things have been going I could see us carrying a load of RBs.. Makes some nice cuts in this video and looks FAST ..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKERqz7G3UU?fs=1&amp;hl=**_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKERqz7G3UU?fs=1&amp;hl=**_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Can receive too...

I don't agree that we need a coverage SS. Roman can cover, and a LB type of SS seems to be way more important to this D than a coverage SS. Heck, if GW wanted more coverage, he would play Sharper and Jenkins at both spots on obvious passing downs.

Could Mitchell be the new SLB to go along with Vilma and Cassilas next year? The coaches have him on the field a lot more than in years past. They may like what they have for the 3 starting LB spots next year with Shanle to give depth on the outsides. I could see a mid to late round draft pick used here.

NT should be a place they look for depth. Remi has played very well this year, but some youth and depth wouldn't hurt at all. I expect a mid round pick to be used here.

DE is a spot that needs some youth and future considerations. Smith and Brown are fine for next year, I think, but we could use someone for the year after. Preferably a guy who is raw, needs work against the run, but has pass rush skills. Pierre-Paul from last year type of guy. Doesn't have to play every down, but can come in on 3rd down. This is where I think our 1st pick is best spent.

We need an offensive guard as well. Tennant is the 1st backup at C and both G spots. One more guy wouldn't hurt.

RB + CB the past two seasons have proven to us that these picks are never wasted.

So, IMHO we need a DE, RB, CB, NT, OLB, and OG. I think the only other consideration is if one of the top 2 WRs (Jones or Green) falls to you. You have to take one of these guys if they are there. Otherwise, you take the best DE you can in the 1st and then fill in the rest of the positions as the draft goes on.

Last years draft should be proof that this team's priority is to continue to load up young talent around Drew (Tennant, Graham, Brown). Protect Drew and give him weapons, and we win. Hit on the defensive picks we make, we win championships.

It's the same thing the Colts have been doing for years and the same as the Steelers, just on the other side of the ball.

OLBs:

1. Travis Lewis, Oklahoma, 6'2 236lbs. He's a super fast, super quick WILL that can cover anyone (has been unofficially timed at 4.49). He is smart and instinctual and is probably the best LB in the country. Should be a top 10 pick. He's a true junior.

2. Von Miller, Texas A&M, 6'2 243lbs. He was hurt early this year but since he's been healthy, he's been unstoppable. He can play SAM or WILL or in a 3-4 defense as a pass rusher. His quickness is amazing and he's very solid in coverage. He is instinctual and as tough as nails.

3. Akeem Ayers, UCLA, 6'4 256lbs. He is a pure LB - not a DE. He has great feet and awareness. He can drop into coverage and is just a monster at times. He needs to be more consistent. He is more quick than purely fast but would be an ideal SAM. He's a junior.

4. Nigel Bradham, Florida State, 6'2 243lbs. He is super fast and instinctual. He flies to the ball and makes a lot of tackles, but he's inconsistent and plays too wild at times. He runs himself out of position at times. He is a super athlete with awesome speed and power. He could play both SAM or WILL. He's a true junior.

5. K.J. Wright, Mississippi State, 6'4 253lbs. He is a tackling machine with excellent quickness and awesome strength. He reminds me a lot of Scott Fujita. He is very instinctual and aware and is always in the right position. He's quick and smart. He would be an ideal SAM. He's a senior.

6. Colin McCarthy, Miami, 6'3 249lbs. He has played both inside and out but he's best suited to play SAM. He is extremely instinctive and very athletic. This 5th year senior has been the cane's best defensive player all year despite the hype of other players. He is super smart, very athletic, and a solid tackler.

7. Bruce Carter, North Carolina, 6'3 232lbs. He is a quick, athletic, but undersized WILL that can really cover a lot of ground and isn't afraid to hit. He's smart and he plays smart. He can cover and rush the passer, but he gets engulfed too much at the line and needs to gets stronger and use his arms better.

Possible DEs to keep an eye on:

1. Robert Quinn, North Carolina, 6'5 274lbs. He is a junior who hasn't played this year due to off field issues but was considered a top-10 pick prior to the season. His stock has dropped and he may go back to UNC for another year. He had an 11 sack season in '09.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson, 6'4 282lbs. He has 16 sacks this season and is an athletic specimen. He has super long arms and amazing strength. At his size and with his amazing power, he can simply will his way to the QB but he has great hips and can really turn and run. He still needs to be more technical and consistent and he has unlimited upside. He's a true junior.

3. Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma, 6'3 268lbs. He's having a huge senior season and is likely to go in the top 15 but if he drops, he could be a huge pass rushing pick up. He is solid against the run and is an excellent athlete with a super quick first step.

4. Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State, 6'4 288lbs. He's also having a big senior season but he isn't being used as he was in '09, so his sacks are down some. He has an awesome first step and is very instinctive. He's a better pass rusher than his '10 stats indicate - has super long arms.

5. Ryan Winterswyk, Boise St., 6'4 267lbs. He is a pure pass rusher with a huge heart and great instincts. He's also a solid athlete - but not an awesome athlete. He lets blockers get into his body a bit too much, but he is relentless and no one has better instincts.

6. Jabaal Sheard, PITT, 6'4 266lbs. He's a very underrated DE with 9 plus sacks this year. He can be a bit inconsistent, but so can PITT as a team. He has very good athleticism, and long arms and a great first step - can get engulfed at times.

This is only a list of pass rushing DEs. I'm not including a couple top DE prospects that aren't true pass rushers.

Make it happen Loomis!

I'd love to pick up Bruce Carter and a solid NT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom