Draft perspectives: biggest needs as of right now? (1 Viewer)

Getting some functional speed in our front 7 is a MUST this time around. Our secondary is at the point where unless the unbelievable like Patrick Peterson falling into our laps happens, you don't even worry about that this time around.

Those weren't projected draft picks - they are my Pass rushing DE rankings.

Yes, I realize that. I was being mildly sarcastic in saying that we should draft them all. I should have put "can he play safety" in there as well to make my intentions clear.

I would take any of these guys. We need someone who can come in next year and get some pressure on 3rd down and then be ready to play a big role on the team the following year.

And as much as we have heard about how the team doesn't like huge NTs or spending draft picks on OLBs, this might be the year they have to, simply due to a lack of holes to fill on the rest of the team. Or it might be the year that we start "patrioting" teams like the Panthers and Raiders, selling off this year's 3rd for next year's 2nd and so on.

Those weren't projected draft picks - they are my Pass rushing DE rankings.

Why don't you have Ryan Kerrigan on that list? He has good size, quickness, hand placement, and strength. He's been making plays on a pathetic Purdue defense. He's their only threat and still makes plays.

NTs:

1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama, 6'3 310lbs. He's an excellent gap shooter and is likely to play the true DT spot, but he can eat blocks and really clog the line. He is athletic enough to play DE and stout enough to play NT. He's likely a top-5 pick, but still. WOW.

2. Sione Fua, Stanford, 6'2 316lbs. He is a pure mauler with awesome strength and power. His legs are like tree trunks. But he's also athletic. He has great vision and smarts and can eat up gaps. He has long arms and awesome balance.

3. Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson, 6'4 315lbs. He is a gifted athlete for his size and could also play the 3-tech spot but he's a natural at NT with his amazing power and size. He can be inconsistent with his instincts, but w'hen he's on, he's very special. He eats gaps and has super long arms and rare power.

4. Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss, 6'2 333lbs. He has had an up and down season, but when he's on, he's the best NT in the class. He can eat up several blocks and his leg strength and overall power is 2nd to none. He has fairly long arms and pretty quick feet. He's a better athlete than people realize.

5. Cory Grant, TCU, 6'2 314lbs. He is a pure NT with awesome leverage and great strength. He has good arms but he isn't a super athlete - although he is a good one. He eats blocks up and creates a push and has a great base.

6. Terron Sanders, Florida, 6'1 314lbs. He is a pure NT with good athleticism and great power. He is a bit too inconsistent and needs to hold his base more. He wants to be a 3-tech pass rusher instead of what he is, but he has the tools to be special at eating blocks and filling gaps.

I'm only listing NTs - not some of the great DTs in the class.

Why don't you have Ryan Kerrigan on that list? He has good size, quickness, hand placement, and strength. He's been making plays on a pathetic Purdue defense. He's their only threat and still makes plays.

Kerrigan is a lot like former Saint Rob Ninkovich. He is a super hustle guy with a great heart but limited athleticism. He simply lacks the movement skills to come close to doing in the NFL what he's done at Purdue. I like him as a mid to late round pick, but his lack of quickness and athleticism will hurt him.

I'd go with tackle, Bushrod is not the answer and Stinch is on the decline. More athleticism at linebacker would be ideal as well.

DE as the biggest need.

But what do I know? We perceived DT and OLB to be our biggest needs and look how that turned out.

Kerrigan is a lot like former Saint Rob Ninkovich. He is a super hustle guy with a great heart but limited athleticism. He simply lacks the movement skills to come close to doing in the NFL what he's done at Purdue. I like him as a mid to late round pick, but his lack of quickness and athleticism will hurt him.

Haha or you could have just gone with the honest answer that you've never seen him play. Lacks quickness and athleticism?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/St9j5K6STws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/St9j5K6STws?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Closing speed at :18, quickness at :40, closing speed at 1:05, strength at 1:17, speed rush at 1:25. Yes he is white, but he doesn't lack athleticism or quickness.

Roman Harper will be an UFA. But I think he is the best open field tackler on the team, and has made himself too valuable to not be re-signed.

NTs:

1. Marcell Dareus, Alabama, 6'3 310lbs. He's an excellent gap shooter and is likely to play the true DT spot, but he can eat blocks and really clog the line. He is athletic enough to play DE and stout enough to play NT. He's likely a top-5 pick, but still. WOW.

2. Sione Fua, Stanford, 6'2 316lbs. He is a pure mauler with awesome strength and power. His legs are like tree trunks. But he's also athletic. He has great vision and smarts and can eat up gaps. He has long arms and awesome balance.

3. Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson, 6'4 315lbs. He is a gifted athlete for his size and could also play the 3-tech spot but he's a natural at NT with his amazing power and size. He can be inconsistent with his instincts, but w'hen he's on, he's very special. He eats gaps and has super long arms and rare power.

4. Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss, 6'2 333lbs. He has had an up and down season, but when he's on, he's the best NT in the class. He can eat up several blocks and his leg strength and overall power is 2nd to none. He has fairly long arms and pretty quick feet. He's a better athlete than people realize.

5. Cory Grant, TCU, 6'2 314lbs. He is a pure NT with awesome leverage and great strength. He has good arms but he isn't a super athlete - although he is a good one. He eats blocks up and creates a push and has a great base.

6. Terron Sanders, Florida, 6'1 314lbs. He is a pure NT with good athleticism and great power. He is a bit too inconsistent and needs to hold his base more. He wants to be a 3-tech pass rusher instead of what he is, but he has the tools to be special at eating blocks and filling gaps.

I'm only listing NTs - not some of the great DTs in the class.

So freak, using your listings and where you have guys projected, who/when would you prefer the Saints draft in the first three rounds? Assuming a late (very late?) round position and that they have to take a OLB, DE, and NT with the first three picks.

A pass rusher. Don't really care if its at DE or OLB.

This has got to be the most anemic pass rush I've seen in a long time. Our D would become tremendous with more consistant QB pressure.

A pass rushing DE, a run stopping NT, and a athletic pass rushing/coverage OLB. Not in that order, necessarily.

It seems like these 3(Front 7) have been big needs for years now, yet they never choose to address them. With Cassilas taking over the WLB spot, I think getting a SLB is first priority. And Im hoping that Gallete could be the answer were looking for at DE. As far as NT goes, Ayodele is quietly having a great year. So in order we need -SLB, DE, NT.

I think Clark has done a good job and I doubt any rookie would come in and take his job right now, and most of our depth is very young. Once again I think fans are going to predict a high pick on an OLB and be disapointed again.
Dline remains our biggest needs on D and Payton will reload on playmakers IMO.

Well if history is any indication... We have no clue as to who they will actually pick.
There should be some sort of CBA in place. I remember TCUDan saying that they liked P Robinson but who knew that he would be the first round pick. We were all thinking DE or nose tackle. Didn't happen.
I look for them to sign a free agent for the positions of real need. Then go best player available at any position of need. Or even back up development player.
So the real question is who will be available on the free agent market at De, OLB and NT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom