DRAFT PROSPECT: CB David Amerson (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This guy was shutdown in 2011 with 13 int. but in 2012 he was alittle inconsistant getting burned twice by Clemson. He excels in zone coverage which Spags plays. Spags also has a history of drafting big physical corners. Well Amerson is a 6'3 corner with 4.4 speed. He also will come into the league with top 10 ball skills out of all DBs in the league, he has WR level hands. He has struggled a bit in man coverage but that doesn't matter since we run a zone coverage mainly. He was still pretty good in 2012 with five interceptions and 11 passes broken up in 2012. I expect him to be an early second rounder unless he does great the combine. I think we should go with DE in the first then use our 2nd (we most likely will get it back) on Amerson. Look at Seahawks corners Sherman and Browner (6'3 and 6'4) and you will know how beneficial height is in the NFL for corners these days. I expect Amerson to be a GREAT corner if he gets taken by a zone scheme, especially like our zone blitz which will confuse offenses. We also have little depth behind Greer and Prob and could cut Johnny Patrick so we could definitely use a DB with great ball skills and zone coverage.

david-amerson-120712-wide.jpg

1. NCState_logo.gif
    David Amerson*, CB, N.C. State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
    Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

12/15/12: Amerson had a rough first week of the season as he was beaten for a 41-yard touchdown and a 72-yard touchdown by Tennessee's dangerous passing attack. The junior recovered from those two early mistakes and played better for the rest of the game.

Amerson had an ugly performance versus Miami as he was beaten for two touchdowns in man coverage. Amerson had interceptions in three straight games prior to that against the Citadel, South Alabama and Connecticut. He has totaled 54 tackles, five interceptions and 11 passes broken up in 2012. Amerson's stock has fallen, but he could help himself with a good bowl game against Vanderbilt.

9/1/12: Amerson has a special skill set with size, speed and ball skills. He was simply phenomenal in 2011. Amerson totaled 13 interceptions to lead the nation. That set both school and ACC records since it was the second highest total in FBS history. He also had 59 tackles with five passes broken up. The All-American started nine games as a true freshman in 2010 and had zero interceptions with 57 tackles and a forced fumble.

When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive. He looks like a natural wide receiver with his hands and body control. Meanwhile, his innate ball skills are extremely rare.

Amerson played some safety in high school and should be able to play the position in the NFL if a team wants to move him there. That may be considered if he fills out his frame and gets bigger as he ages.

Teams will avoid throwing in Amerson's direction this season, so it will be hard for him to lead the nation in interceptions again. If he plays well in his best matchups against talented receivers (Tennessee and Clemson) that should help offset the drop in interceptions.
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5J62b8pb2qE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

some see him as a safety at the next level. Not sure he is worth a first, and likely will be gone by the third. I'm curious to learn more about him.

We gotta get pressure on the QB. You could have Prime Time back there and a QB with all day will eventually hit a receiver. We gotta get a pass rushing DE and a true OLB.

Granted, we do need a big, physical corner, but we gotta build from our line back.

We gotta get pressure on the QB. You could have Prime Time back there and a QB with all day will eventually hit a receiver. We gotta get a pass rushing DE and a true OLB.

Granted, we do need a big, physical corner, but we gotta build from our line back.
Thats why I think we should only pick him up with our 2nd if we get it back, our 1st has to be DE.

I would love him in the second, our first needs to be along the offensive line or DE.

To the OP, what do you base our getting our 2nd round pick back? I have seen nothing about this. Do you really think Goodell will return the pick?

He got torched by Tennessee on a regular basis. In that game he looked no better than Johnny Patrick or Jason David who ever you prefer.

The other day I said we need to get some big physical guys. If they have elite speed all the more reason to grab him. This guy is officially on my radar.

This guy was shutdown in 2011 with 13 int. but in 2012 he was alittle inconsistant getting burned twice by Clemson. He excels in zone coverage which Spags plays. Spags also has a history of drafting big physical corners. Well Amerson is a 6'3 corner with 4.4 speed. He also will come into the league with top 10 ball skills out of all DBs in the league, he has WR level hands. He has struggled a bit in man coverage but that doesn't matter since we run a zone coverage mainly. He was still pretty good in 2012 with five interceptions and 11 passes broken up in 2012. I expect him to be an early second rounder unless he does great the combine. I think we should go with DE in the first then use our 2nd (we most likely will get it back) on Amerson. Look at Seahawks corners Sherman and Browner (6'3 and 6'4) and you will know how beneficial height is in the NFL for corners these days. I expect Amerson to be a GREAT corner if he gets taken by a zone scheme, especially like our zone blitz which will confuse offenses. We also have little depth behind Greer and Prob and could cut Johnny Patrick so we could definitely use a DB with great ball skills and zone coverage.

david-amerson-120712-wide.jpg

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5J62b8pb2qE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Excelling against inferior competition is no virtue.

I had high hopes for this guy at NC State coming into 2012, but he got torched on a regular basis. In my opinion, the more he got torched the more it got in his head and affected his play. He kept getting torched even worse, his demeanor and body language on the sidelines after his toast was burnt was depressing.

The announcers would keep talking him up and he would keep playing himself down. In the biggest games where he should have shined the brightest, he went dim like some rusty, secondhand rayovac batteries.

I'd rather Sanders Commings from UGA, he's very similar in size/speed to Amerson, but Commings played SEC competition and could be gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

hi-res-6723120_display_image.jpg

Gotta address the line first before we spend yet another draft pick on a DB. We could also use another offensive tackle and receiver as well as an outisde LB, so the key will not be to reach at any position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom