DRAFT PROSPECT: LB Manti Teo (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This kid is a beast. I think the only way we take this him though is if we do not like any of the LT or DE available and he would probably be the BPA. He has great leadership like most great MLBs. He could definitely help us out as our 2nd Nickel LB next to Lofton, to stop those passes that fly over our LBs and between our safeties. He could make it easier on us if we decide to move on from Vilma.

This kid has all the tools to be great, and has the best instincts out of any LB in the draft. He has good ball skills and could be a great player for a long time for us. I would want us to draft him if all the good DEs and OTs are gone and he is available. He has great character and that is something the Saints value. He can tackle great and has great coverage as well. He could be the key to our leaky run defense and a leader of the defense for a long time. Some scous are saying he is too slow to cover in the NFL. People also said Ray Lewis, London Fletcher and Zach Thomas were too small. The players that are good can overcome those things and I think Manti will run a 4.5 or so anyway just to show them and prove speed is not an issue. You do not get 7 picks as a LB without being ATLEAST average in coverage. He was the runner up for the Heisman. He also won the Dick Butkus award in highschool in 2008 and in college in 2012.

He still has to play the National Championship game but here are his stats so far this season: 103 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, and 7 interceptions (0 forced fumbles). Mike Mayock said it best "Every once in a while a player comes around whose value transcends his numbers". Manti Teo is just that and he motivates and makes his teammates also be better.

130986-650-366.jpg

NotreDame_logo.gif
Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame
Height: 6-2. Weight: 255.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2012): Top-15.

12/15/12: Te'o has had a tremendous senior season despite dealing with personal tragedies. Early on, he had eight tackles and two interceptions against Michigan, as well as forcing an interception by hitting the Denard Robinson as he threw. Te'o racked up 11 tackles against Stanford and did reasonably well defending gainst the Cardinal's receiving tight ends.

Te'o totaled 12 tackles and two passes broken up to go with a fumble return of eight yards versus Michigan State and power runner Le'Veon Bell. Te'o made a lot of tackles in run defense and was superb against the pass in zone coverage. He was snuffing out short passes throughout the game and doing well to tackle receivers quickly after the reception was made. Against USC, the senior made a tremendous interception that showed off excellent instincts and intelligence.

Te'o has really improved his pass coverage in 2012 and helps his stock as a three-down linebacker. He hasn't had a bad game all year. Entering the National Championship, Te'o has totaled 103 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, four passes broken up and seven interceptions.

8/31/12: Te'o has been a solid and consistent performer for Notre Dame. He recorded 128 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss and five sacks last season. The junior was a sack away from leading the Irish in sacks and tackles.

Teo registered 133 tackles in 2010, also recording 9.5 tackles for a loss, one sack and one forced fumble. He notched 63 tackles and 5.5 tackles for a loss as a true freshman.

Te'o has the skill set and experience to start immediately in the NFL. He has the size, speed and tackling technique to be a three-down linebacker. The senior has the athletic ability to function on third down and get deep in the middle of the field.

Te'o has nice blitzing ability and closing speed as a pass-rusher. It is clear that he has the instincts for the position. Plus, Te'o is versatile for the next level; he has the bulk to be an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense and the speed to play middle linebacker in a 4-3. As long as Te'o stays healthy, he should produce another quality season to be a safe first-rounder in the 2013 NFL Draft.
hi-res-6656486_crop_exact.jpg

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DJfkFuJDPd4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

We already have Lofton. Keep in mind, Vilma and Hawthorne are both MLB playing out of position. I do like Te'o. I think he is a great football player.

We already have Lofton. Keep in mind, Vilma and Hawthorne are both MLB playing out of position.
I know, im just saying I would rather have the BPA like the Giants did when they drafted JPP(didn't need him but he was BPA). Sometimes if the players you need are not there, you have to try and go for players like Teo who have potential to be Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis type leaders and could potentially turn around your D. Manti did not have a problem being good in highschool or college and if he can be this good in the pros too then he could have Elite potential, these are the kind of guys you have to take even if you do not need them at the time. If a DE or LT we like are not there, why reach? I would rather go with BPA, Vilma may not even be here if he does not take a huge paycut. Hawthorne will probably be a beast next year after learning the defense and healing up from the injuries.

We already have Lofton. Keep in mind, Vilma and Hawthorne are both MLB playing out of position. I do like Te'o. I think he is a great football player.

New Orleans Saints LB David Hawthorne adjusting to the strong side | NOLA.com

"David Hawthorne hasn't said much this season. Among the New Orleans Saints linebackers, he's sometimes the forgotten one. His production has been relatively quiet, too.

This isn't quite what he signed up for."

When Hawthorne signed on with the Saints in free agency this past offseason, he did so with the anticipation of being the Saints' starting weak side linebacker."

Hawthorne looks to take the ILB spot next year if what is written is correct.

I know, im just saying I would rather have the BPA like the Giants did when they drafted JPP(didn't need him but he was BPA). Sometimes if the players you need are not there, you have to try and go for players like Teo who have potential to be Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis type leaders and could potentially turn around your D. If a DE or LT we like are not there, why reach? I would rather go with BPA, Vilma may not even be here if he does not take a huge paycut. Hawthorne will be a beast next year.

You make a good point. If he is on the board for our pick, if he is the BPA, then it would be a justifiable move to select him.

New Orleans Saints LB David Hawthorne adjusting to the strong side | NOLA.com

"David Hawthorne hasn't said much this season. Among the New Orleans Saints linebackers, he's sometimes the forgotten one. His production has been relatively quiet, too.

This isn't quite what he signed up for."

When Hawthorne signed on with the Saints in free agency this past offseason, he did so with the anticipation of being the Saints' starting weak side linebacker."

Hawthorne looks to take the ILB spot next year if what is written is correct.
The article, along with your bolded highlight, sounds like he wants to play the Will spot. Like he and the team had agreed to do once he signed the contract. I think everyone knows that Lofton will be our MLB.

BPA. We need a special player. We need an elite player. If there is a Revis type CB...I want him. If there is a Ray Lewis type MLB...I want him. The Saints need to improve their talent on the defensive side of the ball. Of the play makers on the defense, Jordan & Hicks looks like they have the most potential and they are on the defensive line. So would I be opposed to getting a special, play-making LB? No.

Wow. I hadn't seen that pick vs Michigan before and how he juked the running back. I knew he was athletic, but not that athletic. That's a football natural right there.

He'll be a top 10 guy. Probably outside of our range, unfortunately.

I hear kc is eyeing him. Despite what your mocks are reading this kid will be a top 5 pick.

What I saw in the highlights was bad throws by the QB. I would have liked to see footage of him covering a TE, not zone. He lacks pop in his tackles but drags down opponents. The highlights showed him playing against Navy, MSU (unranked) and UM who's QB is a runner, not a passer.

that's what I don't understand with this thread. How will he slip back that far to be available. Every other team not in the top 5 will wonder the sames thing.

We've had such bad Linebackers since Fujita left, I don't care if Teo is projected as a pure Mike in the Pros if there aren't any Ends, or Tackles left when we go and Teo is there take him, I'm sure he'd dominate at Will or Sam just as much, he'd be a leader in a few years as well. Plus both Hawthorne, and Vilma have had injury issues this season. He would be great insurance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom