Draft Prospect - Menelik Watson (RT-FSU) (1 Viewer)

Euphonetiks

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Menelik Watson - RT, FSU, 6'6'' 320 lbs, 4.7 40 yd dash

I really like this kid with a mid round pick and think he could be the solution to our problems at RT. He is raw, but has insane natural ability for his size. He's like Bruce Campbell, but has intelligence, motivation and a real nasty streak.

He grew up in a rough area of England. Played basketball and did not transition to football until a couple of years ago. He only has 21 games under his belt with 12 being at FSU and the rest at the JUCO level.

He could have used another year in college, but his crazy athleticism is exciting nonetheless. Would love to see what our coaches could do with him after a year or two.

Menelik Watson endured strange journey to Florida State Seminoles - ESPN

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uylXKqcIdmI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZT1TicBpSmM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes please.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YYY4aNbE31E?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2v8OOY7AHRE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Loved this line from the espn story (which is worth the read):

"Watson had a lineman's build, a basketball player's feet and a boxer's hands. He was a football coach's dream, except that he had no idea how to play the game."

Yeah, I remember hearing his name mentioned during the Orange Bowl. Here's a couple of photos of him:

Boxing
Menelik-Watson-boxing.gif

Practice against Tank Carradine
558456_350317058375697_1683615704_n.jpg

The boxing background is very interesting for an OT. Tank had this to say about going against Watson in practice:

"He's been great," said Carradine. "The guy's strong, he's still learning the system, [but] he's going to be a great player and he's hard to go against. Without him having a lot of experience, you'd assume he [does]."

"He's got quick feet, he's fast and he's good with his hands. He also did boxing so he's great with his hands."

Carradine was asked if he feels the punch from Watson off the line and he didn't hesitate.

"I feel it," he said emphatically. "Awww, it hurts man. I have to put my arm out and bull [rush] him so he won't grab you, because if he grabs you or he pushes you or punches you, it's almost impossible [to get around]."

He said when Watson gets his hands on him it feels like he's taking a right cross and left jab to the midsection at the same time.

I think the most physically imposing offensive lineman in this years draft is D.J. Fluker, but if I had to say the most skilled it would be Luke Joeckel.

Marcel Jones anyone?

Unfortunately Marcel Jones has not managed a healthy season since high school. He was drafted in the 7th for that reason and cannot be relied upon at this point.

Menelik won the starting RT job at FSU after playing football for 1 year with only 8 games of JUCO ball under his belt (no high school ball). That is impressive.

Even though he's a RT, he's got quick feet and long arms to possibly play LT in the future. So if Marcel Jones works out, they could potentially both play or like TPayne said, Jones could just be depth and used in jumbo packages.

I think the most physically imposing offensive lineman in this years draft is D.J. Fluker, but if I had to say the most skilled it would be Luke Joeckel.

I agree, but I'm starting to think Joeckel could be the first pick in round 1, and Fluker might even be transitioned to Guard. I don't know where Watson would be graded at, but since we're the team willing to mine for diamonds and give everyone a shot no matter drafted, undrafted, etc., I wouldn't mind if a low round/compensatory pick was used on him.

I agree, but I'm starting to think Joeckel could be the first pick in round 1, and Fluker might even be transitioned to Guard. I don't know where Watson would be graded at, but since we're the team willing to mine for diamonds and give everyone a shot no matter drafted, undrafted, etc., I wouldn't mind if a low round/compensatory pick was used on him.

Depends on how much the Chiefs pay Brendan Albert. Regardless Joeckel will likely be top 5 at worst.

I have read that Watson got a a 2nd-4th round grade from the NFL draft advisory committee. CBS sports has him projected to go in the 2-3 rd right now:

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I do not think we would get him past the 4th. I think it will be a Jimmy Graham type situation where he is drafted higher despite his lack of experience.

4.7 40 yard dash???????????

That's blazing for a guy that big!!!!!!!

Fluker is horrible against IMO against the pass. Every time I watched him against anyone legit he got absolutely demolished. He was the weak link. I do not see how he goes before the 5th round if even drafted at all. He is only great against the run but he is really bad against the pass and that won't cut it in a pass 1st league.

Fluker is horrible against IMO against the pass. Every time I watched him against anyone legit he got absolutely demolished. He was the weak link. I do not see how he goes before the 5th round if even drafted at all. He is only great against the run but he is really bad against the pass and that won't cut it in a pass 1st league.

I dont think he translates into a OT in the NFL. He would be a OG in our scheme and a dominant one at that. He is just as big as Carl Nicks. Besides, Im not sure how many more seasons Jahri Evans has in the tank. Jahri will be a first ballot HoF. He's going on to the 2013 season, which will be his 8th, and he has yet to miss a single start since he started.

Well, my untrained eye was impressed in that game against Clemson.

Depends on how much the Chiefs pay Brendan Albert. Regardless Joeckel will likely be top 5 at worst.

I have read that Watson got a a 2nd-4th round grade from the NFL draft advisory committee. CBS sports has him projected to go in the 2-3 rd right now:

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

I do not think we would get him past the 4th. I think it will be a Jimmy Graham type situation where he is drafted higher despite his lack of experience.
The thing that I've noticed with every mock draft so far, is that Geno Smith is listed as KC's pick, and I don't see him as a #1 overall first pick. If they have enough confidence in their LT, then they should trade down (Miami or Philly would be prime candidates). Other than Star, Joeckel is the only player I could rate as a possible #1 overall.

4.7 40 yard dash???????????

That's blazing for a guy that big!!!!!!!
I've even seen him listed at 6'7" 325 lbs (but then again, we didn't know for the first 3 months if Jimmy Graham was 6-6, 6-8, 6-9, etc.).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom