DRAFT PROSPECT: OLB Corey Lemonier (2 Viewers)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
1109188.jpg

Corey is a very good 3rd round value pick. Coming into the season he was a potential 1st round pick but had a good not great year. He has elite burst off the line and is very good at using his skill set to the max. He is not a physical freak but he gets the job done. He is very good against right tackle because of his first step and knows how to use his hands to knock back and shed lineman or tight ends in the run game. He needs to work on timing the snap of the ball a little better. Sometimes he is also stiff in the hips and can not bend on the edge to get to the quarterback.

NFL Comparison: Nick Perry

2012 Stats (played through injury) : 34 tackles, 5.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a blocked kick

hi-res-138696176_display_image.jpg

Auburn_logo.gif
Corey Lemonier*, DE/OLB, Auburn
Height: 6-4. Weight: 246.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

2/1/13: Lemonier totaled 34 tackles, 5.5 sacks, a forced fumble and a blocked kick. He played through an ankle injury. Lemonier needs to continue to fill out his frame and add strength for the NFL.

8/27/12: Lemonier broke out as a sophomore with 47 tackles, 13.5 tackles for a loss, 9.5 sacks and five forced fumbles in 2011. He is a speed-rusher who is a superb athlete and rushes with nice leverage.

Lemonier should gain weight for the NFL because he gets pushed around at times in the ground game. He could return for the 2013 college season, and that may be a good idea. Lemonier is raw; he could use more experience to develop his awareness, run defense, pass-rushing moves and strength.

Against the top O line in the nation:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vmH-8vFJl9o" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

What's' your take on tj Barnes nt ga tech 5th round ish.?

What's' your take on tj Barnes nt ga tech 5th round ish.?
Great run stopping, hole plugging NT. I think his best fit would be a 2 gap 3-4. I think he is a very similar prospect to Terrence Cody on the Ravens and is even a little taller than Cody. He would be a good pick up as back up for Bunkley, and someone we could bring in for goal line and inches defenses. I would not take him before the 6th though. Especially because with the amount of passing teams are doing these days, IMO you don't really need 2 NTs because your in nickel defense a lot of the time.

Very tight hips. Not good in coverage at all, and that has me worried. I like what he brings as a pass rusher, though. I would take him in the 3rd.

I think he'll go in the 2 but great value in the 3 great rotational guy

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

He had like 9.5 sacks last year, he's a ballerina but he has stiff hips, if he was bigger he would be a perfect 4-3 end but could maybe be a 3-4 olb

He's the prototypical 3-4 strongside backer. I have him rated as the second best in that role in the draft behind Ansah.

He does show some stiffness moving laterally sometimes but this can be improved with technique and counter moves to disengage blocks. He needs to be more consistent but his combine has me very excited about his potential to stop the run and play in the 265lb weight range.

Tristan Okpaluago is better in coverage than Lemonier but isn't as powerful at the point of attack. I'd like to see us look at both players. OKpaluago reminds me of David Bowens who Rob Ryan had in Cleveland.

WK 7 Can't-Miss Play: Two for Bowens - NFL Videos

Great run stopping, hole plugging NT. I think his best fit would be a 2 gap 3-4. I think he is a very similar prospect to Terrence Cody on the Ravens and is even a little taller than Cody. He would be a good pick up as back up for Bunkley, and someone we could bring in for goal line and inches defenses. I would not take him before the 6th though. Especially because with the amount of passing teams are doing these days, IMO you don't really need 2 NTs because your in nickel defense a lot of the time.

Really? He's a career 3-4 nt. Seems like a natural fit.

He's the prototypical 3-4 strongside backer. I have him rated as the second best in that role in the draft behind Ansah.

He does show some stiffness moving laterally sometimes but this can be improved with technique and counter moves to disengage blocks. He needs to be more consistent but his combine has me very excited about his potential to stop the run and play in the 265lb weight range.

Tristan Okpaluago is better in coverage than Lemonier but isn't as powerful at the point of attack. I'd like to see us look at both players. OKpaluago reminds me of David Bowens who Rob Ryan had in Cleveland.

WK 7 Can't-Miss Play: Two for Bowens - NFL Videos

SOLB or WOLB? SOLB has to cover, and he can't do that... I'd take him as a WOLB though.

I like Lemonier. I like him better in the 3rd, than I like Mingo in the 1st. I think their that close, skill wise.

If we somehow manage to grab a 3rd round pick from Arizona for Ivory or Thomas this is a guy we could target. Then grab Brandon Williams at our own 3rd round spot.

Nice thread.

From watching that Alabama gamee clip you posted it seems like Corey has a good understanding of Gap integrity, and setting the edge. He didn't overpursue his gap by rushing upfield too far.

From a pass rushing side he seems to have a quick get off, but what others are saying is true.. he's stiff at times trying to bend the corner. His hand usage while Pass Rushing will need to improve (coaching) seems like he really only uses 2 moves.. the spin, and the shoulder dip under.

Overall it seems like he has the prototypical size, and measurements you would want from a 3-4 Outside Backer.. would not be disappointed if we end up getting him in the 3rd. Although I doubt he lasts that long.

SOLB or WOLB? SOLB has to cover, and he can't do that... I'd take him as a WOLB though.
LOLB/SOLB, with a focus on stopping the run.

Coverage is one responsibility but I would argue that stopping the run and setting the edge is likely more important in a 3-4, considering best 3-4 teams usually excel there annually. I really like Lemonier's body-type and his ability to extend his reach against O-linemen in the run game on the edge at times.

For a weakside pass rusher, I'd prefer Devin Taylor or Sio Moore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom