NFL Draft Draft Prospect: Steven Montez (QB, Colorado) (1 Viewer)

B-Train

The West Bank's Favorite Son
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I watched every CU game since 2016 and have been quietly hoping for a while that the Saints can snatch Montez in the 5th or 6th round. I think he’s every bit as capable as some of the other big name draft QBs like Love or Eason. He’s got some wheels, can pass efficiently, but most importantly he showed a ton of growth in his time at CU.

I definitely want to see Brees at the helm for the next year or two, and would love to see if Taysom can take the reigns. But the saints still need a good third QB and I think Montez would be perfect. I’m a little biased as a CU alum but I suppose that’s not much different than all the LSU stuff we see on here. Let me know what you guys think.

Here is a good breakdown from USA Today Draft wire.

Steven Montez | QB | Colorado
Elevator Pitch

Montez has a bit of a NFL pedigree, his father Alfred played one season for the Oakland Raiders. Has the build of the prototypical quarterback. Montez is looking to become the next El Paso product to make it to the NFL, much like Aaron Jones did.

Vitals
Height | 6-4

Weight | 231

Class | Senior

College Stats

College Bio

Combine Profile

Strengths
Teams will love the mental acumen of Montez. His father having played college quarterback and one year in the pros helped him be ready to play the position at division one. He was named team captain in 2019. Coaches have raved about his leadership on and off the field with his team.

Prototypical size for the position. Has a big arm to make all the throws. Not just a guy who will stand in the pocket and sling it all over the field. Montez can throw for accuracy when on the move in the scramble drill. Has a little Mahomes to his game with how he can sling it down the field with a flick of his wrist.

Despite being a bigger framed quarterback, Montez can evade the pass rush. Does well to sense pressure and can avoid it. Although he does have a habit of bailing on a pocket too soon and will run into trouble. Still shows adequate pocket presence.

Weaknesses
The problem with quarterbacks that have big arms is that they don’t know how to dial it down in certain situations. Montez is not immune to that either. Needs to learn to throw the change up even when he always throws the fastball at his receivers. He also needs to learn to trust his protection, will drop eyes looking for the pass rusher.

Questions will arise with his 15-21 record over his three years in Colorado. He has a tendency to lock onto a target rather than move through his progressions. Slow to go through progressions. Will need to speed up his release at the NFL level.

Projection: Day 3

Seems to be a good late round developmental guy. He looks athletic when the pocket breaks down but looks to throw instead of running first while keeping his eyes down field. When his feet are set looks like he has a live arm and can make the deep throws . Solid find B

Seems to be a good late round developmental guy. He looks athletic when the pocket breaks down but looks to throw instead of running first while keeping his eyes down field. When his feet are set looks like he has a live arm and can make the deep throws . Solid find B
Thank you. I think that he has a chance in the NFL if the right team drafts him and molds him the right way. My assumption is that the broncos would love to get him late to pair him potentially with his old teammate Philip Lindsay. Could also see the Seahawks eyeing him as a backup.

Montez is probably one of my favorite QBs to possibly take in the 5th if we were to go that route. Don’t think he will make it past the 5th and may go before then as well. He’s got good athleticism with great size and a strong arm. He’s got his deficiencies, but they all do in the later stages of the draft. Hopefully if we were to take him Sean could coach him up into a NFL caliber QB. I think I may of had Montez in the 5th of my very first mock

The highlights and the write-up match up. He looks great improvising and making something happen when protection breaks down. I’m interested in seeing how he looks on the short-to-intermediate throws, throwing into a tight window. Seems like a great development prospect that I wouldn’t mind taking a 3rd-day flier on. I think some of the Mahomes comparisons are accurate, as he and Russell Wilson both came to mind while watching his highlights.

Also, if we can trade down in the first and pick up a certain thus-far injury-prone receiver he liked to target, I wouldn’t be mad either. LOL

Don't feel like he has what it takes above the neck, but has the physical tools to get a look somewhere. Reminds me of a poor man's Jay Cutler.

Don't feel like he has what it takes above the neck, but has the physical tools to get a look somewhere. Reminds me of a poor man's Jay Cutler.
Now there's a ringing endorsement. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom