Draft Prospect: William Gholston, DE, Michigan St. (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
In the most recent Mock Draft on WalterFootball, they have the Saints selecting William Gholston in the 3rd round. I like the pick, and think it makes a great deal of sense... if the Saints view Akiem Hicks as their NT (and Bunkley)

bilde

Gholston is a giant at 6'7, 280lbs.. and would be a nice fit in our 3-4 scheme at DE. He never reached his full potential at MSU, but the talent is there. His pass rushing skills never really blossomed, but that wouldn't be his primary role in a 3-4. He has all of the tools to become a dominant 3-4 DE. He also plays with a mean streak... So much so, it has gotten him into trouble and even got him a suspension for punching Michigan OT Taylor Lewan in the face.

Blue chip high school recruits out of the state of Michigan usually end up in Ann Arbor or another big-time program like USC (Nick Perry) or Alabama (Mark Ingram). But the much-heralded Gholston, a five-star recruit who had offers from just about every program in the nation, landed in East Lansing and slowly but surely came into his own as one of the top defensive linemen in the Big Ten.

He spent his true freshman season as a backup defensive end/linebacker, but a shoulder injury ended his season prematurely. Gholston returned as a starting sophomore defensive end in 2011 and set several career-bests with 70 tackles, 16.0 tackles for loss, 5.0 sacks and one forced fumble, earning Second Team All-Big Ten honors.

However, his 2011 season wasn't without some controversy, as Gholston was suspended for Michigan State's last second Hail Mary win over Wisconsin because of a few dirty plays against rival Michigan a week earlier (punching left tackle Tyler Lewan and twisting quarterback Denard Robinson's helmet). With the full support of the coaching staff and zero off-field incidents, it would be unfair to label Gholston as a bad character prospect, but his football focus and on-field demeanor is a question mark that the NFL won't ignore.

Scouts also can't ignore the solid numbers Gholston put up in 2012: 59 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss to go along with 10 passes defensed and a forced fumble. His decision to leave school a year early may have been prompted by the recent birth of his first child.

If Gholston's name is familiar in NFL circles, it's because his cousin is former Ohio State star Vernon Gholston, who was a bust as a first-round pick by the Jets and is currently out of the league.

Similar to Jerel Worthy in 2011, Gholston isn't the "elite" defensive lineman that some believe, but he does have pass rush ability and has yet to reach his ceiling.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KRPtwR8Zwb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think if he applied himself that he could be a great player, but the roomers have floated for years now that he is too much like his cousin Vernon Gholston. He lacks an ideal work ethic, takes plays off and doesnt take his craft seriously. Which is sad, because the guys physical gifts are bountiful.

I wouldn't mind getting Gholston in the 3rd or even Datone Jones from UCLA in the 1st

Gholston is immature...he was suspended for kicking a player in the head...he started a few fights going against Taylor Lewan of "Meeeeeeechigan" (Granted Lewan likes to get under your skin) he like his brother won't be in the league long...I guarantee he won't be drafted by us.

This would be a horrible pick. Just like his cousin, he didn't play as well as he could've but unlike his cousin, he never had a year where he put up great stats.

nooooooooooooo bad work ethic, horrible technique and barely gets it done with his physical talent. and no way datone jones before the 4th, he is not that good.

I think if he applied himself that he could be a great player, but the roomers have floated for years now that he is too much like his cousin Vernon Gholston. He lacks an ideal work ethic, takes plays off and doesnt take his craft seriously. Which is sad, because the guys physical gifts are bountiful.

You have to watch out for those pesky "Roomers" now! :hihi:

Gholston is a giant at 6'7, 280lbs.. and would be a nice fit in our 3-4 scheme at DE. He never reached his full potential at MSU, but the talent is there. His pass rushing skills never really blossomed, but that wouldn't be his primary role in a 3-4.

His production dropped off a little this past year:

William Gholston Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

MSU alum here, and I watched Gholston for the past two years. He benefited from Jerel Worthy as DT in 2011, but Gholston had more sacks. Check his passes defensed figure for 2012. His role is to disrupt and set the edge, and he's extremely effective in pursuit. Coming from a scoring defense that averaged 1.3 TDs a game last year, he's very promising.

2012 Michigan State Spartans Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Vernon Gholstons cousin? Didn't live up to potential at Michigan State? Frequently gets in fights and takes plays off?

How many red flags can one player have?? I wouldn't touch him in the 7th round.

Do not want. Does the term look like Tarzan plays like Jane apply here? Definitely. There is no reason he shouldn't have dominated at Michigan st, and did not. Pass

Im really high on Gholston and Josh Boyd.

Both have great hand use for defending the run and getting upfield as 3-4 ends. I was hoping to nab boyd with our second rounder before Goodell's announcement that we wouldn't have one.

Those are the type of active guys that we could use on stunts and such to attack like SF's D-line.

Lets hope he is still there in the third round. He should be a better pro player than college player. Helped produce on the best defense outside the SEC.

This would be a horrible pick. Just like his cousin, he didn't play as well as he could've but unlike his cousin, he never had a year where he put up great stats.
I agree. We don't need anyone that needs to "blossom" as a pass rusher or has questionable work ethic. This guy has outstanding physical attributes, but has little production through his career to show for it. People kept waiting for this guy to break out, but it never happened. This team needs guys that can step in and play at a quality starter level, and I'm not confident he fits that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom