Draft Prospects: Cornerbacks, Tre'Von Diggs, and CJ Henderson. (2 Viewers)

Bespoke

Time for change
Reaction score
Doing some more early Draft research; and we all know probably the biggest immediate need on the team is #2 WR but if say the bigtime prospects of Jeudy, Ruggs III, Tee Higgins, and Shenault Jr. are all gone and off the board, I think the Saints have an opportunity at #24 overall to pick up one of these two stud Corners.

Assuming the team moves on from Eli Apple who is an UFA, and PJ Williams. They will have to pick up some youth at the Cornerback position, hopefully they retain Janoris Jenkins who was a late season addition, but looked impressive in his 3 games, considering how little time he spent in the Defense. Jenkins has the versatility to play inside at the Slot, or boundary CB, but adding youth to the CB position should still be important in the off-season. Especially if both Apple, and PJ Williams walk in Free agency.

All Credit to https://thedraftnetwork.com/ for player analysis.

Trevon Diggs - Cornerback #7 - Alabama
Height - 6'2 - Weight 207 lbs
trevon-diggs-of-the-alabama-crimson-tide-on-the-field-during-a-game-picture-id1045581790

Pros:
- Standout in Zone coverage
- Astute understanding of coverage spacing, and how to layer zones
- Impressive in Press coverage, can crowd routes early
- Has re-direct pop with his hands, and generally does well to jam releases
- More fluid than expected for his size
- Lines up inside and outside based on personnel/opponent.

Cons:
- Physical nature of play can get him in trouble at times with penalties and being over-aggressive
- Would like to see more from a tackling perspective especially for his size
- Has some weaknesses with his back to the line of scrimmage
- Not ideal for playing Off coverage

CJ Henderson - Cornerback #5 - Florida
Height - 6'1 Weight - 201 lbs

GAI_UFvLSU-FB10.jpg

Pros:
- Possesses arms that are like vines that allow him to play through receivers.
- Elite arm-length allow him to reach in and Defend passes other Defensive backs cannot reach
-Showed to have plenty of value as a blitzer. He was often used on CAT (corner) blitzes and late-down edge pressures.
-Good acceleration and long speed. Chased down a tight end from the opposite side of the field to cause a forced fumble in 2018
-Impressive ball skills, can attack the ball out of the air

Cons:
-Pre-snap stance can improve
-Has to cleanup some technical issues with his footwork and hand usage in press
-Continuing to add weight should be a priority to fill out his frame
- Although displays willingess to tackle, lack of strength could have him be moved by bigger receivers, blockers in run game

If all the big time First round Wide receivers are gone when the Saints pick I wouldn't mind them addressing the #2 CB spot with either of these two talented young Corners. The question is do you give Allen another bigger, physical Corner in Diggs who specializes in Press coverage, similar player to Lattimore.. or do you guy with a guy in CJ Henderson who played in the same Defensive backfield as Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who has elite recovery speed, arm-length, cover skills, and is a ballhawk who fluidly attacks the ball like a receiver?

I just started looking at the draft myself. My assumption - given who’s looking to be available- is that with our first we are going G or interior DL.

I just started looking at the draft myself. My assumption - given who’s looking to be available- is that with our first we are going G or interior DL.
I'm planning on researching Interior OL, DL, and Linebackers next.

as far as Guards go the only one I think that will have a 1st round grade will be Tyler Biadasz out of Wisconsin. Good chance he's gone when the Saints pick.

Interior DL prospects with pass rush potential tend to go high I think Derrick Brown, Javon Kinlaw both go top 15-20.

So the Saints best value at 24 might be at Corner, or Edge players. Like K'Lavon Chaisson, or Yetur Gross-Matos as Davenport insurance, and to be a part of a 3rd down pass rush package.

Can they play wide receiver?
This is in case of a scenario where all of Jeudy,Ruggs, Shenault Jr. Tee Higgins are gone and off the board before we pick.

In that case might as well not reach for a receiver and wait until Round 3. Or trade up into Rd. 2 and try and grab Justin Jefferson, or Brandon Aiyuk,

This is in case of a scenario where all of Jeudy,Ruggs, Shenault Jr. Tee Higgins are gone and off the board before we pick.

In that case might as well not reach for a receiver and wait until Round 3. Or trade up into Rd. 2 and try and grab Justin Jefferson, or Brandon Aiyuk,

I get it and was teasing. Also don’t forget about Jalen Reagor and Van Jefferson.

I believe the Saints will keep JackRabbit, and he and Lattimore start as the outside CBs. PJ Williams walks, and CJ Gardner-Johnson is the full time Nickle CB. Williams played out his rookie contract at FS... Bell is re-signed as the SS.

A mid/lower tier vet CB is signed as depth

I believe the Saints will keep JackRabbit, and he and Lattimore start as the outside CBs. PJ Williams walks, and CJ Gardner-Johnson is the full time Nickle CB. Williams played out his rookie contract at FS... Bell is re-signed as the SS.

A mid/lower tier vet CB is signed as depth
Gardner-Johnson's off-season will be very interesting to watch because he has the versatility, and capability to line up and play anywhere in the secondary. He can be your standard Nickel, your Free Safety, your Strong Safety, roving blitzing player, fill in on the outside..

I'm most intrigued by his ability to play Safety, he displayed great instincts when filling in for Marcus Williams and Vonn Bell.

I agree they will retain Jack-Rabbit to be the #2 CB but he is 31 years old.. so it's never a bad thing to have some young insurance in case there is a drop off... and Corner is a position that frequently gets dinged through out the season so depth is crucial. Especially if you lose PJ Williams.

My first choice would be to Draft a physical #2 WR to compliment Mike. Biadasz as a Peat replacement, or a game changing 3-tech or Linebacker to pair with Demario but if there are none available at 24; I think thinking long term at the CB spot wouldn't be a bad idea... this CB class is pretty dang good at the top.

I keep saying don't be too shocked if the Saints take oline or defense with their first pick...............unless by some ridiculous miracle that Joe Burrow or Tua are still on the board at 24.

This draft is ridiculously deep at WR and there will be some very good players available in rounds 2-4 so don't expect a WR at 24.

Saints have many holes to fill. The most important will be Secondary. PJ Williams, P Rob, Eli Apple, and V Bell all up in the air. Then you have Marcus Williams. If not going to resign him, he should be traded. Get something in return. I think you could get high as a 3rd for him. It will come down to who is highest rated on Saints draft board.

Doing some more early Draft research; and we all know probably the biggest immediate need on the team is #2 WR but if say the bigtime prospects of Jeudy, Ruggs III, Tee Higgins, and Shenault Jr. are all gone and off the board, I think the Saints have an opportunity at #24 overall to pick up one of these two stud Corners.

Assuming the team moves on from Eli Apple who is an UFA, and PJ Williams. They will have to pick up some youth at the Cornerback position, hopefully they retain Janoris Jenkins who was a late season addition, but looked impressive in his 3 games, considering how little time he spent in the Defense. Jenkins has the versatility to play inside at the Slot, or boundary CB, but adding youth to the CB position should still be important in the off-season. Especially if both Apple, and PJ Williams walk in Free agency.

All Credit to https://thedraftnetwork.com/ for player analysis.

Trevon Diggs - Cornerback #7 - Alabama
Height - 6'2 - Weight 207 lbs
trevon-diggs-of-the-alabama-crimson-tide-on-the-field-during-a-game-picture-id1045581790

Pros:
- Standout in Zone coverage
- Astute understanding of coverage spacing, and how to layer zones
- Impressive in Press coverage, can crowd routes early
- Has re-direct pop with his hands, and generally does well to jam releases
- More fluid than expected for his size
- Lines up inside and outside based on personnel/opponent.

Cons:
- Physical nature of play can get him in trouble at times with penalties and being over-aggressive
- Would like to see more from a tackling perspective especially for his size
- Has some weaknesses with his back to the line of scrimmage
- Not ideal for playing Off coverage

CJ Henderson - Cornerback #5 - Florida
Height - 6'1 Weight - 201 lbs

GAI_UFvLSU-FB10.jpg

Pros:
- Possesses arms that are like vines that allow him to play through receivers.
- Elite arm-length allow him to reach in and Defend passes other Defensive backs cannot reach
-Showed to have plenty of value as a blitzer. He was often used on CAT (corner) blitzes and late-down edge pressures.
-Good acceleration and long speed. Chased down a tight end from the opposite side of the field to cause a forced fumble in 2018
-Impressive ball skills, can attack the ball out of the air

Cons:
-Pre-snap stance can improve
-Has to cleanup some technical issues with his footwork and hand usage in press
-Continuing to add weight should be a priority to fill out his frame
- Although displays willingess to tackle, lack of strength could have him be moved by bigger receivers, blockers in run game

If all the big time First round Wide receivers are gone when the Saints pick I wouldn't mind them addressing the #2 CB spot with either of these two talented young Corners. The question is do you give Allen another bigger, physical Corner in Diggs who specializes in Press coverage, similar player to Lattimore.. or do you guy with a guy in CJ Henderson who played in the same Defensive backfield as Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who has elite recovery speed, arm-length, cover skills, and is a ballhawk who fluidly attacks the ball like a receiver?
Enough with the defense, our first 3 picks need to go to the offense. We are losing games because Payton cant run his offense due to limited assets on offense. We need offensive playmakers desperately.

The Saints will do what they’ve been doing, likely.

That is to address all of their “needs” in FA or by re-signing their own guys, and then taking the best available player in the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom