Draft Rankings about to change (1 Viewer)

BoroSaint

Bring the Wood!!!!!
Reaction score
The draft is over 3 months away, but there are already hundreds of mock drafts on the internet. Free agency will change how these mock drafts look by the time the last weekend in April rolls around, but that is not the main thing that will alter the draft.

Every year I would venture to say there are at least 5 players who are selected in the 1st round who were not graded as 1st rounders before the combine. And probably 3 to 5 players fall out of the 1st round who were thought of as first-rounders in January. Although the combine and personal workouts help to show whether or not a player has enough speed, quickness, strength, etc. to make it in the NFL, I think (as do many others) that these workout numbers are VASTLY overrated. Just look at someone like Vernon Davis (not a bust, just put him here based on the fact that his stock went through the roof after his workout), Ryan Leaf, Jonathan Sullivan, and the list goes on and on.

Basically, I think that the grades these potential picks have as of now should be the grade they enter the draft with because as of right now their draft grade is based on one thing -- on-field production and how that production translates to certain schemes, whether offensive or defensive, in the NFL. I hope our scouting department and coaching staff make their decisions based on how well these players produced in college, not at the combine. We have seen far too often great athletes selected, only to be frustrated when their combine numbers don't translate to success on the field. Sometimes you get the best of both worlds, but those players are usually top-5 selections.

My question is, and this is for those who know something about those players coming up in the draft (because I don't) -- who will be available at the #10 pick who has produced on the field in college? I don't want us to pick a DT who had 40 tackles and 5 sacks in his college career, but ran a 4.75 forty while there is another available who had 100 tackles and 20 sacks but ran a 4.9. My point of this entire thread in one sentence -- Please draft based on production!

Last edited:
I didnt realize Vernon Davis is a bust.

I didn't say he was a bust and now that I look he definitely shouldn't be included in that list. My point is though, he wasn't anything near the #6 pick prior to the combine though. Even though I'm sure you got the gist of my post, you couldn't resist picking out one of its flaws could you? My point was I hope we don't draft someone who has a great workout but wasn't a great player in college.

His qb along with a few injuries has something to do with it. Davis is not a bust in my book. Until the 9ers find some who can pass the ball... Davis won't be the monster everyone thinks he can be.

No offense to the topic creator, but I like how fans always think that they know how to evaluate talent better than the professional talent evaluators. The reason why the combine is so important is that athleticism is so much more important in the NFL than it is in the NCAA. There IS a difference between a 4.3 and a 4.4 and it could be the difference between a big play and a poor play in the NFL. Not to say that the 40 time always directly maps to a player's game speed, but it is a fairly good measuring stick if all the draft prospects are timed in the same conditions (i.e. at the combine). It's not like they throw the college game film in the trash either.

No offense to the topic creator, but I like how fans always think that they know how to evaluate talent better than the professional talent evaluators. The reason why the combine is so important is that athleticism is so much more important in the NFL than it is in the NCAA. There IS a difference between a 4.3 and a 4.4 and it could be the difference between a big play and a poor play in the NFL. Not to say that the 40 time always directly maps to a player's game speed, but it is a fairly good measuring stick if all the draft prospects are timed in the same conditions (i.e. at the combine). It's not like they throw the college game film in the trash either.

Point well taken. I guess there has to be a "happy medium" between evaluating a player based on on-field performance and their workout numbers.

This is nothing new. No mock draft is ever totally accurate. I am sure that FA will have an impact on who goes where and when. One thing that is almost certain though. Glenn Dorsey will go 1st. It might not be to Miami either. Book it!

I didnt realize Vernon Davis is a bust.

He cried when he was drafted...that is usually a good indicator that he has peaked and is destined to be a bust.:mecry:

Although ...personal workouts help to show whether or not a player has enough speed, quickness, strength, etc. in an eating contest I think (as do many others) that these workout numbers are VASTLY overrated. Just look at someone like ...Jonathan Sullivan, and the list goes on and on.

[/B]

Now wait a minute. Sully is still the reigning champion of woof-down and the scarf-down flex. He's paid his dues. He's "earned it." Give the man some love, bro. :hihi:

/sarcasm off

Seriously, good remark about the NFL combine. You might also throw in the Wunderlich test while you're at it. But your point is well taken. Some players are "gamers" that bring it in the NFL... and some are not. Boy, if somebody could refine the technique to determine who's the "real deal," they'd reap the benefits in more ways than one.

Good post, BoroSaint. :9:

:gosaints:

Yes, in regards to Davis, hindsight would make you rethink that pick. However he was very produtive in college, great combine numbers, good character.

He has been injured and has a slew of loosers at QB, but I certainly wouldn't fault the 49rs for taking him where they did. I'm quite sure that his day is coming, maybe with another team, but it will come. This guy is too talented to live his career out with the numbers that he has so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom