Draft Rules, or "How does it work?" (1 Viewer)

AceTW

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I had this question go through my head a while back, but just thought to post it here. It was borne of all the draft holdouts, and players who specifically stated that they would not play for the team that drafted them.

Question: If there were a "huge" college prospect, and he knew that he would be drafted by the losingest losers in the league, would it behoove him to declare "I won't play for them" on draft day, or could he sit out the draft and walk on to his favored teams practice field one day?

Pros and cons? Possible? Stupid idea? Anything?

If he gets drafted and sits out then he has to re-enter the draft the next year. He also cannot do any workouts or talk to any team but the team that drafted him originally without that teams permission.

If he's draft eligible, any team that drafts him has his rights for a year even if he doesn't sign with them. Otherwise, I think he has to go through the draft again the next year. I don't think he can be a true FA unless a team releases him or he waits a few years or something. But he DEFINITELY cannot just play for any team he wants his rookie year.

John Elway said publicly before the draft that he would never play for the Colts, and they drafted him anyway. He was later traded to Denver before he played for the Colts, he got what he wanted anyway.

This is one of those instances I'm talking about. "What if"....

Elway didn't enter the draft?

"What if"...

He just graduated college, then made a trip to the place he wanted to play and 'walked on'?

This is one of those instances I'm talking about. "What if"....

Elway didn't enter the draft?

"What if"...

He just graduated college, then made a trip to the place he wanted to play and 'walked on'?

Can't do that. You have to enter the draft first.

Can't do that. You have to enter the draft first.

Well that kinda sucks. I mean, I understand rules are rules and all, but still...

Why should a player not be able to sit out the draft? (Rhetorical question really...)

Well that kinda sucks. I mean, I understand rules are rules and all, but still...

Why should a player not be able to sit out the draft? (Rhetorical question really...)

Because then who would enter the draft? Everyone would just be an automatic free agent and sign with the Patriots. Its done to make sure the crappy teams can get better.

If they allowed the rookies to pick who they play for then the bad teams and small market teams would never have a chance to compete with the Likes of Dallas, Washington, and such.
It would be similar to what was going on in college ball awhile back when there was no limit on how many scholarships a team could use so the top rich schools loaded up on all the talent and left the small schools without much to compete against them with.

Because then who would enter the draft? Everyone would just be an automatic free agent and sign with the Patriots. Its done to make sure the crappy teams can get better.

If they allowed the rookies to pick who they play for then the bad teams and small market teams would never have a chance to compete with the Likes of Dallas, Washington, and such.
It would be similar to what was going on in college ball awhile back when there was no limit on how many scholarships a team could use so the top rich schools loaded up on all the talent and left the small schools without much to compete against them with.

Ok, NOW it makes sense. Never thought about it like that really. Thanks for getting my head straight on it guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom