Draft rumor: Saints targeting multiple WRs (1 Viewer)

Nah just someone who is convinced that he isn't a first round talent as you said.

I take your statement at face value.
Lol...

He can run a 4.0/40 and it changes nothing about his draft status. He arrived at the combine as one of the fastest players there and will leave as one of the fastest there. Unless they strap up, there is no event at the combine will answer any questions about how he projects at the next level. You've joined the armchair GMs who scrutinize highlight videos and pore over combine data with the same enthusiasm that drove Al Davis to draft Darrius Heyward-Bey #7 overall.

Last edited:
Lol...

He can run a 4.0/40 and it changes nothing about his draft status. He arrived at the combine as one of the fastest players there and will leave as one of the fastest there. Unless they strap up, there is no event at the combine will answer any questions about how he projects at the next level. You've joined the armchair GMs who scrutinize highlight videos and pore over combine data with the same enthusiasm that drove Al Davis to draft Darrius Heyward-Bey #7 overall.
Interviews, the guantlet, positional workouts, medicals.

You seem to think that the combine is all stopwatches and yardsticks.

Whatever.

Im not goint to debate if Reagor is a first rounder with you anymore.

At this point it's beyond ludicrous.

Interviews, the guantlet, positional workouts, medicals.

You seem to think that the combine is all stopwatches and yardsticks.

Whatever.

Im not goint to debate if Reagor is a first rounder with you anymore.

At this point it's beyond ludicrous.
If that's what you're taking away from our exchange, then you're simply not listening. You would probably benefit from adding me to your ignore list.

I think that the most important parts of the combine are never seen by a camera. Everything else is a glorified field day and done more out of tradition than anything substantial to contribute to a player's selection. You want to see if a guy you think is fast actually runs fast, but it only confirms. It never detracts from their actual performance on the field. After all, no one really cares how high someone jumps. They care if they can play football. The stuff you see on TV is maybe 5% of why and where a player is drafted.

The biggest reason why Reagor won't get picked in the first round is because there are so many WRs to choose from. QBs, OTs and pass rushers will always get drafted higher than they project. There are a lot of good OTs that will probably push down some good WRs. The Saints will probably find a WR with a first round grade in the third round the same way they found CJGJ so late last year.

Reagor will be a first rounder, I'm pretty confident in that (unless of course he commits grand Larceny or something drastic comes out about him between now and the Draft to tank his Draft stock)

Apparently there are teams that have him as their #4 receiver on the board, and that's before work outs.

You have to watch his 2018 tape, when he had some actual consistency at QB.. and he was practically their entire Passing Offense.

Pick a game where he's goes against a good Defensive Team, with NFL quality Defenders. Ohio State has some pretty good guys that will be playing in the NFL I think.

Jalen Reagor - Film Study (vs. Ohio State)

:55 second mark - Going up against Damon Arnette, a late 1st, early 2nd round caliber Cornerback. Good quickness off the line with a release gives a hint step inside then bursts and attacks Arnette's outside leverage, gains position and stacks Arnette along the sideline making a contested one handed catch over Arnette's outstretched arms.
giphy.gif

3:55 mark - Going up against the Best Corner in the nation, Okudah who will be a top 10 pick in this Draft. Not many Receivers won reps against this guy, and Reagor sticks his foot in the ground on a square in and makes a contested catch over the middle against his long frame, while shielding Okudah's long arms away from the ball with his back; giving his team the 1st down.

giphy.gif

He had a few other nice plays in this game, showed a lot of willingness to block and took some Jet sweeps right up the gut in the middle of the Defense with no fear. Finished the game with 7 catches for 98 yards.

I've watched some of his games from 2019 and he had a miserable QB situation, so many underthrown, or overthrown balls that he had no shot at yet he never complained. Played through the Oklahoma State game with an Injury and still produced.

Basically #1, and #3 on Ohio State are pretty good Corners and will be playing in the NFL, not a lot of receivers beat them, and Reagor has won reps on tape vs. both of them.. as a true Sophomore. The fact he's explosive (42" vert) and fast. (sub 4.4 ? ) is just icing on the cake. I'll take him at 24.

Last edited:
If that's what you're taking away from our exchange, then you're simply not listening. You would probably benefit from adding me to your ignore list.

I think that the most important parts of the combine are never seen by a camera. Everything else is a glorified field day and done more out of tradition than anything substantial to contribute to a player's selection. You want to see if a guy you think is fast actually runs fast, but it only confirms. It never detracts from their actual performance on the field. After all, no one really cares how high someone jumps. They care if they can play football. The stuff you see on TV is maybe 5% of why and where a player is drafted.

The biggest reason why Reagor won't get picked in the first round is because there are so many WRs to choose from. QBs, OTs and pass rushers will always get drafted higher than they project. There are a lot of good OTs that will probably push down some good WRs. The Saints will probably find a WR with a first round grade in the third round the same way they found CJGJ so late last year.
This flies in the face of all reason and empirical evidence to the contrary and defeats the purpose of having a combine in the first place.

Speed and measurables aren't everything but I disagree they are not the most important part of the combine.

Who cares if you have a 48 on the wonderlic if your 40 is 5.88?

Reagor is arguably the most athletic wr at the combine regardless of how many wrs there are.

No GM is going to ignore that fact and simply allow him to fall out of round 1. It aint gonna happen.

Just look at Marquise Brown last year.

It's not worth pursuing this line of argument. It's just not.

It’s going to be really tough for us to land two receivers in the first three rounds after the Joe Burrow trade. And the article says at least two even though we only have two picks. Do they not know about us getting Joe Burrow?

Jalen Reagor's real life explosive. DJ even said Reagor runs faster on the football field than his 40 time indicates, which is better cause he's a football player. Not saying he'll be drafted in the 1st, but Reagor's def a 1st RD talent. I still find it laughable that some people were actually trying to hate on him by dubbing him a speed guy only. Reagor's ability to seriously threaten vertically is exactly what we need opposite Mike T. Plus, Reagor literally lines up everywhere. That versatility is tailor made for a Sean Payton O. Jalen Reagor and Michael Pittman Jr are my favorite WRs in this draft. Would LOVE to us land one of those dudes.

Reagor will be a first rounder, I'm pretty confident in that (unless of course he commits grand Larceny or something drastic comes out about him between now and the Draft to tank his Draft stock)

Apparently there are teams that have him as their #4 receiver on the board, and that's before work outs.

You have to watch his 2018 tape, when he had some actual consistency at QB.. and he was practically their entire Passing Offense.

Pick a game where he's goes against a good Defensive Team, with NFL quality Defenders. Ohio State has some pretty good guys that will be playing in the NFL I think.

Jalen Reagor - Film Study (vs. Ohio State)

:55 second mark - Going up against Damon Arnette, a late 1st, early 2nd round caliber Cornerback. Good quickness off the line with a release gives a hint step inside then bursts and attacks Arnette's outside leverage, gains position and stacks Arnette along the sideline making a contested one handed catch over Arnette's outstretched arms.
giphy.gif

3:55 mark - Going up against the Best Corner in the nation, Okudah who will be a top 10 pick in this Draft. Not many Receivers won reps against this guy, and Reagor sticks his foot in the ground on a square in and makes a contested catch over the middle against his long frame, while shielding Okudah's long arms away from the ball with his back; giving his team the 1st down.

giphy.gif

He had a few other nice plays in this game, showed a lot of willingness to block and took some Jet sweeps right up the gut in the middle of the Defense with no fear. Finished the game with 7 catches for 98 yards.

I've watched some of his games from 2019 and he had a miserable QB situation, so many underthrown, or overthrown balls that he had no shot at yet he never complained. Played through the Oklahoma State game with an Injury and still produced.

Basically #1, and #3 on Ohio State are pretty good Corners and will be playing in the NFL, not a lot of receivers beat them, and Reagor has won reps on tape vs. both of them.. as a true Sophomore. The fact he's explosive (42" vert) and fast. (sub 4.4 ? ) is just icing on the cake. I'll take him at 24.

THANK YOU! This is exactly what was saying earlier in this thread when folks were trying to misrep his game simplifying him as a mere speed guy.

Jalen Reagor's real life explosive. DJ even said Reagor runs faster on the football field than his 40 time indicates, which is better cause he's a football player. Not saying he'll be drafted in the 1st, but Reagor's def a 1st RD talent. I still find it laughable that some people were actually trying to hate on him by dubbing him a speed guy only. Reagor's ability to seriously threaten vertically is exactly what we need opposite Mike T. Plus, Reagor literally lines up everywhere. That versatility is tailor made for a Sean Payton O. Jalen Reagor and Michael Pittman Jr are my favorite WRs in this draft. Would LOVE to us land one of those dudes.
Perfect WR for Drew Brees to underthrow.

We forget we still got Brees underthrow old man Ted Ginn? At this point... Build for the future. Don't try to find another short yardage beast like Thomas.

This flies in the face of all reason and empirical evidence to the contrary and defeats the purpose of having a combine in the first place.

Speed and measurables aren't everything but I disagree they are not the most important part of the combine.

Reagor is arguably the most athletic wr at the combine regardless of how many wrs there are.

No GM is going to ignore that fact and simply allow him to fall out of round 1. It aint gonna happen.

Just look at Marquise Brown last year.

It's not worth pursuing this line of argument. It's just not.
Who said anything about the Wonderlic? It's the only thing more worthless than a 40 yard dash time at the Combine.

It was started as a way for every team to have doctor's look over the athletes. It was followed by interviews. Scouts later wanted to add the drills after it was established that the event would take place to let the physicians look over every athlete. I thought that this was common knowledge, but apparently not.

Who said anything about the Wonderlic? It's the only thing more worthless than a 40 yard dash time at the Combine.

The NFL Combine began as a way for doctor's to look over the athletes and share the data with all teams to split the costs. IIRC, only a few teams like the Steelers would meet with these players and have doctor's look at them. This was followed by interviews with coaches and scouts. In fact, I recall reading that the drills weren't even conducted the first 2-3 years. The scouts later wanted to add drills after it was established that the event would take place to let the physicians look over every athlete. I thought that this was common knowledge, but apparently not. Regardless, this isn't debatable. This is documented NFL history and pretty common knowledge.

I do like that you used the word empirical, though. It certainly makes what you think sound more believable if I didn't already know the truth.

It was started as a way for every team to have doctor's look over the athletes. It was followed by interviews. Scouts later wanted to add the drills after it was established that the event would take place to let the physicians look over every athlete. I thought that this was common knowledge, but apparently not.

The NFL Combine began as a way for doctor's to look over the athletes and share the data with all teams to split the costs. IIRC, only a few teams like the Steelers would meet with these players and have doctor's look at them. This was followed by interviews with coaches and scouts. In fact, I recall reading that the drills weren't even conducted the first 2-3 years. The scouts later wanted to add drills after it was established that the event would take place to let the physicians look over every athlete. I thought that this was common knowledge, but apparently not. Regardless, this isn't debatable. This is documented NFL history and pretty common knowledge.

I do like that you used the word empirical, though. It certainly makes what you think sound more believable if I didn't already know the truth.
You said 40's at the combine change nothing.

Tell that to chase Claypool and Denzel Mims who probably are 5 million dollars richer than they were projected to be yesterday.

Players already considered good can climb charts dramatically at the combine and good players likewise can tumble because of a poor showing like a cb with 10 ints who runs a 4.7.

Again, I guess its more reasonable to assume that the combine is completely meaningless to these teams in the evaluation process than to believe that you are just flat out wrong.

Saints need to draft Henry Ruggs III even if it means trading up into the mid round to grab him. This kid is exactly what we need at WR and is the next Tyreke Hill imo. He’s not like most of the speedsters who run good 40s and are decent WRs. This kid can actually play and is a very good WR with incredible game speed that makes his 4.27 not so surprising.

Would love to get Jerry Jeudy as well but he will be long gone. Justin Jefferson is my 3rd WR on my board behind the to Bam’s WRs and I would gladly take him as well. If Ruggs is gone and we decide not to trade up and stay put I would take Jefferson. I wanted to see if Jefferson’s combine matched up with what his game speed I see on the field and it does.

I think coming away with one of these top 3 WRs would instantly change our offense and give Brees everything he possibly needs. We have surrounded Brees with near elite groups at every position on the offensive side of the ball. He has arguably the best OLine group in the NFL, one of the top RB duos, Pro Bowl TE with some solid backups, an X factor weapon in Taysom Hill and the best WR in football. The only thing missing is fully completing that WR group which is solid but missing that 1 other stud and game breaker. IMO Henry Ruggs III is that guy and completely changes our offense allowing us to concentrate the rest of our assets to continue upgrading our D. This is our year!

You said 40's at the combine change nothing.

Tell that to chase Claypool and Denzel Mims who probably are 5 million dollars richer than they were projected to be yesterday.

Players already considered good can climb charts dramatically at the combine and good players likewise can tumble because of a poor showing like a cb with 10 ints who runs a 4.7.

Again, I guess its more reasonable to assume that the combine is completely meaningless to these teams in the evaluation process than to believe that you are just flat out wrong.
40 yard dash times change nothing.

They confirm or they prompt a scout to review more film. There is no scout or personnel guy out there saying "Damn, Mims ran 0.1 second faster over 40 yards than I thought he would run. He going to cost us millions now." Lol...

Do you think that Scouts didn't know Denzel Mims was fast before yesterday? They knew, just like they knew he is a terrible route runner, he gets pushed around by DBs and drops too many passes. They also knew that was the report on him last year and he spent an entire football season not getting better. He is still a day 2, maybe day 3 prospect.

Draft projections from people on TV mean exactly jack ****. You keep referring to what people say on TV as if NFL Scouts and GMs have it turned to the NFL Network to get advice. That's not the NFL. That's television. It's not real. You need to understand that. NFL teams have been watching these guys play ball for years. There is not going to be a dramatic change after an afternoon of field day activities one winter day in Indianapolis.

I think what they could do is target two receivers who fit different roles. A speed deep threat and a bigger reciever like Pittman. With MT taking the bulk of catches we can mix and match the other receivers to the situation. I am really hoping the top receivers fall due to depth at the position and we could somehow get Ruggs and Pittman.

I think what they could do is target two receivers who fit different roles. A speed deep threat and a bigger reciever like Pittman. With MT taking the bulk of catches we can mix and match the other receivers to the situation. I am really hoping the top receivers fall due to depth at the position and we could somehow get Ruggs and Pittman.
I'm with you. I'm also wondering how this supposedly "one of the deepest drafts at WR ever" is going to affect free agency. We very well may end up signing a proven vet to fill one of our WR needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom