Draft rumor: Saints targeting multiple WRs (1 Viewer)

I don’t think it’s saying that they will strictly stay at 24 and 88 and take whichever the best WR is who’s there.

You’re correct. That’s never how Payton operates. But if they’re at 24 and there are a bunch of WRs left in their cloud, they may trade back. Or if they’re at 88, and they see a run of WRs in the high-70s, they may trade up to make sure they get their guy.

I think the overall feeling from this report is we are looking very closely at WRs and we’re not shy about it. Payton is never good at hiding his draft intentions.
I hear the Bengals are looking at taking a QB, too.

#Insider

Doctson ran a 4.5.

Im really not sure where the comparison starts there.

We must be watching two different Jalen Reagors because Reagor is very adept in the ball skills department and even route-running.

He routinely goes up high to take the ball away from defenders.
I have only seen a couple TCU games, but nothing about Reagor tells me he's going to be a good WR in the NFL. He's certainly not Tyreke Hill, but he'll get drafted because he's fast. The streets are littered with fast guys who can't play football. He's all hype, IMO.

Austin was 5'8 174 lbs.

Reagor is 3 inches taller and 30lbs heavier.

Reagor is more similar to OBJ and Amari Cooper than to Austin.

Reagor is actually very similar (IMO) to Ted Ginn Jr. Very close in size, both very fast, and both have inconsistent hands.

He routinely goes up high to take the ball away from defenders.

He does not. At all. I'd be surprised if he won more than 10 1v1 battles on jump balls vs. the corner in his entire career. I sure haven't seen more than a handful.

He also gets bullied by CBs regularly. And these are Big XII CBs who are more speedy guys vs. physical corners like you'd find in the SEC and Big 10.

I didn't compare him to Doctson - don't be dishonest. I said his career was likely to end up closer to Doctson's than Hill's, which is true. I compared him to Tavon Austin, who, despite being smaller as you say, is a similar player who got a ton of his yardage on designed plays where he used his top-flight speed to beat less talented college athletes. And who, like Raegor, does not have great ball skills and gets beaten physically by most good cornerbacks.

We'll see how it goes.

He does not. At all. I'd be surprised if he won more than 10 1v1 battles on jump balls vs. the corner in his entire career. I sure haven't seen more than a handful.

He also gets bullied by CBs regularly. And these are Big XII CBs who are more speedy guys vs. physical corners like you'd find in the SEC and Big 10.

I didn't compare him to Doctson - don't be dishonest. I said his career was likely to end up closer to Doctson's than Hill's, which is true. I compared him to Tavon Austin, who, despite being smaller as you say, is a similar player who got a ton of his yardage on designed plays where he used his top-flight speed to beat less talented college athletes. And who, like Raegor, does not have great ball skills and gets beaten physically by most good cornerbacks.

We'll see how it goes.

Reagor is the board whipping boy much like DK Metcalf was last year who I also stood up for.

Here is the take from PFF

Pro Football Focus, an analytics site, says that he had the 10th worst drop rate of all the draft-eligible receivers. But conversely, the site also said that of all the passes thrown Reagor's way last fall, only about 62% were catchable.

Pro Football Focus ranks TCU WR Jalen Reagor sixth among wideouts in the 2020 NFL Draft class.
Reagor (5'11/195) was limited to just 43 catches for 611 yards and five touchdowns, but it's definitely fair to say that the wideout was limited by the TCU system and inconsistent -- at best -- quarterback play. In fact, PFF notes that he had the fourth highest percentage of off-target passes in 2019. The previous year, he was over the thousand-yard mark, and he has some of the best speed in this class. This is a loaded wideout class, but Reagor has a real chance of being a Day 1 pick come April.

According to PFF’s advanced ball location charting, only 30.7% of Reagor’s targets in 2019 were charted as accurate. Only three other FBS receivers had it worse this past season.”

Reagor is actually very similar (IMO) to Ted Ginn Jr. Very close in size, both very fast, and both have inconsistent hands.
Reagor is in no way similar in size to Ted Ginn. They only compare in height.

Reagor is 26lbs heavier than Ginn Jr.

"As far as the drop percentages that you see below go, Peshek deems a number between 6-9% as being questionable and any percentage higher than that as being a red flag."

OBJ also had questionable hands coming out in 2014 which we talked about here.

His drop rate was 6.45%

Would it be better to stay put and take two WRs or trade up a bit and get one of the blue chippers?

I hope so!!! And if it happens.... it will be interesting to see how all of those on here who constantly talked about how we were fine at receiver...respond. We had the worst WR corp in the league last season, collectively.
Based on what were we the worst? This seems highly unlikely considering all the records MT broke.

I have only seen a couple TCU games, but nothing about Reagor tells me he's going to be a good WR in the NFL. He's certainly not Tyreke Hill, but he'll get drafted because he's fast. The streets are littered with fast guys who can't play football. He's all hype, IMO.

You sure he isn't Tyreek Hill?

PFF thinks he might be every bit as good as Jeudy.

You really should read this:

"While Jeudy is certainly the number one receiver on PFF’s board for the 2020 class, there’s another guy who isn’t too far behind. TCU’s Jalen Reagor would have put up similar eye-popping numbers to Jeudy if the former had a quarterback like Tu’a Tagovailoa. The Horned Frogs quarterback trio of Shawn Robinson, Michael Collins and Grayson Muehlstein combined for almost twice as many turnover-worthy plays (27) as big-time throws (15). TCU passers threw accurate passes at the fourth-lowest rate of any Power-5 program. The fact that Reagor still put up 1,040 yards and nine touchdowns is a minor miracle with how often he was missed badly with tons of separation like the play below.

That alone was 79 yards left on the field, and it didn’t stop there. Reagor actually had more targets 10-plus yards downfield with more than two yards of separation than Jeudy (26 vs. 24), but only 13 catches on them compared to 18 for Jeudy. When it comes to separating, Reagor is arguably the best at it in the class. He reportedly ran a 4.32 40 last spring and was the Texas state long jump champion back in high school. He’s as explosive a receiver as there is in college football and is murderous on the vertical route tree.

Mike Renner

@PFF_Mike
· Apr 2, 2019
Replying to @PFF_Mike
Reportedly ran a 4.32 prior to last season. I believe it. Apparently no one told Boyd though

Mike Renner

@PFF_Mike
Embedded video
6:06 PM - Apr 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Mike Renner's other Tweets
Unlike most deep threats, Reagor is far from a one-trick pony. He only dropped five of 76 catchable passes last season, converted 15-of-31 contested-catch opportunities and broke 11 tackles. At 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, Reagor is the prototype for where the game is headed for the receiving position in the NFL. At this time next year, don’t be surprised if we’ve heard both Jeudy and Reagor’s names called within the first 10 picks of the draft."

Last edited:
He would have fallen under the expensive part. A 3rd, a 4th and 6 mil for 9 games. Not a fan of trading for players when they become FAs the next year. It's doable but I don't think it's a smart move. Don't like the mid-season acclimation part either but he was a vet so you'd expect a bit more.

For the most part, we would still need a receiver, have 6 mil less cap space and only have 1 pick in the first 150 players.
...is the right answer.

Would it be better to stay put and take two WRs or trade up a bit and get one of the blue chippers?
Trade up.

Brees does better with bigger guys like Lamb and Shenault than with small speedsters like Ruggs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom