Draft rumor: Saints targeting multiple WRs (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Tony Pauline has become one of the better follows wrt NFL reporting. He’s done the draft most of his career, but he’s also been ahead of a lot of the recent labor stuff.

Anyway, here’s a link to his latest and a quick blurb on the Saints:

“Yesterday, I mentioned that numerous general managers expect 15 receivers to be selected during the initial two rounds of the draft. Some are saying as many as 25 receivers could be drafted by the time the third round closes out.
Word at the NFL Combine is that the New Orleans Saints could select at least two of those 25 receivers. With Drew Brees announcing he will be returning to the Saints in 2020 and the need to add depth at the receiver position around Michael Thomas, sources in Indianapolis tell me it’s very likely the Saints use both the 24th and 88th selections of the draft on a receiver.”

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Based on the physical attributes and projected round drafted (bonus point for round 1) these WRs all are at a grade of 3 or higher before they do any speed/agility/explosiveness drills compared to the top 25 WRs from 2019.

Aiyuk, Brandon: 4 (projected round, relative body size, hand size)
Claypool, Chase: 3 (height, relative body size, hand size)
Gandy-Golden, Antonio: 3 (height, relative body size, hand size)
Higgins, Tee: 3 (projected round, height, relative body size)
Jefferson, Justin: 3 (projected round, height)
Jeudy, Jerry: 3 (projected round, height)
Johnson, Juwan: 3 ( height, relative body size and hand size)
Lamb, CeeDee: 3 (projected round, height)
Mack, Austin: 3 (height, relative body size and hand size)
Patmon, Dezmon: 3 (height, relative body size and hand size)
People-Jones, Donovan: 3 (height, relative body size and hand size)
Ruggs, Henry: 3 (projected round, hand size)
Shenault Jr., Laviska: 4 (projected round, height, relative body size)
Stewart Jr., Darrell: 3 (height, relative body size and hand size)
White, Cody: 3 (height, relative body size and hand size)

If Bryan Edward has a 1 round grade on him, he would be at 4.

I need to do more research on Juwan Johnson, Patmon, DPJ, Stewart and White as they all have the height/relative body size and above average hand size.

I have seen some footage of DPJ and he looks like he could be a force. There's a video where he blocks a defender for about 5-10 yards and then pancakes him in the endzone.

All the rookie 1000 yard receivers that I can think of going back 25 years have all been over 211 lbs with the exception of OBJ (198lbs) and Terry Glenn (195lbs) possibly because those guys both ran in the 4.35 range and were quite close to 200lbs.

Marques Colston
AJ Brown
AJ Green
Amari Cooper
Keenan Allen
Randy Moss
Anquan Boldin
Kelvin Benjamin
Mike Williams
Mike Evans
Mike Thomas
Michael Clayton

All over 6 feet and at least 211lbs.

Size really does seem to matter when it comes to rookie wideouts.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Of the vaunted 2014 class only Evans, OBJ and Benjamin posted 1000 yard seasons.

Of the great 1996 class only Terry Glenn topped the mark but Eddie Kennison did have over 900 as a rookie.

Keyshawn Johnson had 844 that year too.

Marvin Harrison had 836.

Last edited:

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
All the rookie 1000 yard receivers that I can think of going back 25 years have all been over 211 lbs with the exception of OBJ (198lbs) and Terry Glenn (195lbs) possibly because those guys both ran in the 4.35 range and were quite close to 200lbs.

Marques Colston
AJ Brown
AJ Green
Amari Cooper
Keenan Allen
Randy Moss
Anquan Boldin
Kelvin Benjamin
Mike Williams
Mike Evans
Mike Thomas
Michael Clayton

All over 6 feet and at least 211lbs.

Size really does seem to matter when it comes to rookie wideouts.
Trend toward taller receivers began in the early '90s, with Irvin and Harper with the Cowboys. Before that, WRs were smallish like the Redskins' "Smurfs" and the "Three Amigos" with the Broncos. The "Marks Brothers" with the Dolphins weren't all that tall, either. When the rules started to crack down on overly physical pass defense, it seemed someone somewhere took note and receivers turned the tables on them.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Trend toward taller receivers began in the early '90s, with Irvin and Harper with the Cowboys. Before that, WRs were smallish like the Redskins' "Smurfs" and the "Three Amigos" with the Broncos. The "Marks Brothers" with the Dolphins weren't all that tall, either. When the rules started to crack down on overly physical pass defense, it seemed someone somewhere took note and receivers turned the tables on them.
Art Monk was no smurf at 6'3 210lbs.

Jerry Rice was 6'2 200lbs.

Even Harry Carmichael was 6'8 225.

James Lofton was on the Border at 6'3 195.

Only Steve Largent really stood out back then for the smaller crowd at 5'11 187.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
The Reagor hate has reached an irrational fever pitch at this point apparently.

Any reasonable draft follower can at concede that his athletic measurable traits and body of work at least compares favorably to someone like Terry McLaurin if not OBJ or Amari Cooper.

McLaurin had 58 catches for 919 yards last year as a rookie.

His route tree is at least no worse than McLaurin and to top it off he might even be slightly faster.

I'd be stoked to have Reagor if they cant get Lamb or Shenault.
Where did I say I hated Reagor?

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
I could sense the hatred dripping from your every sentence, MLU.

Come clean and admit it.

/sarcasm.
He could have a role on this team (if the coaches have a "clear vision" for him), but I'm not spending a first round pick on him.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
He could have a role on this team (if the coaches have a "clear vision" for him), but I'm not spending a first round pick on him.
I hear ya, but his sophomore numbers will make him a first rounder for someone.

He's not like Ruggs or DK Metcalf who never put up 1000 in a season.

He might Possibly go as high as OBJ went at #12 when he has a strong combine.

If so he might push a guy like Lamb down the board into the Saints' laps.

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Art Monk was no smurf at 6'3 210lbs.

Jerry Rice was 6'2 200lbs.

Even Harry Carmichael was 6'8 225.

James Lofton was on the Border at 6'3 195.

Only Steve Largent really stood out back then for the smaller crowd at 5'11 187.
Indeed, Monk wasn't considered part of the Smurfs. His three shorter teammates at WR, Alvin Garrett, Charlie Brown and Virgil Seay, were the Smurfs.

Rice, Carmichael and Lofton were the exceptions, not the rules. The rules were Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, Charlie Joiner, Steve Largent, Freddie Solomon, Sammy White, the aforementioned Broncos and Dolphins WRs, and many, many others 6-1 or shorter who played WR in the NFL in the 1970s and '80s.

trux

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Shinault for me. I’d consider trading Kamara for another 2nd round pick as he’s likely on his last year (or we pay $10M/yr) and I think there’s more value in getting 2 stud WRs to pair with Cook and MT than AK in the event one of them can’t make it through the season healthy and I trust Murray to carry the load with an late round RB. Shinault would be great on WR screens too.

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score
For Sure Saints need to get a couple receivers from somewhere. If I'm not mistaken after M.T, TQS is the only receiver with significant NFL experience.

cajunman9

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I am all in for a receiver at #24, however at this point I am really liking the idea of Notre Dame TE Cole Kmet at 24, and WR Aiyut or Reagor at # 88.

Quiet Storm

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Who’s gonna throw the ball to a speedster deep threat?
I didn't say "speedster deep threat" I said quick ;) .

I want someone who can get out of cuts and routes quick. Ginn and Smith are not quick like Sanders. If not Sanders, we need a WR that is quick. Ginn is fast. There is a difference between quick and fast (speedster).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom