Draft: Saints looking at Cleaver, likely TE/H-back candidate (1 Viewer)

Tribune

Reaction score
Saints | Team attends New Mexico State's Pro Day
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:27:26 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports the New Orleans Saints were in attendance for New Mexico State's Pro Day March 24.

NFL | Cleaver works out at Pro Day
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:26:43 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports New Mexico State FB Nick Cleaver measured a height of 6-foot-3 5/8 and a weight of 246 pounds at his Pro Day March 24. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.60 and 4.66 seconds and completed 22 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He measured a 34-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump.

Per KFFL.

Cleaver projects to TE/H-back at the next level. Colts, Eagles, Seahawks and Lions also attended.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=18079

I'm more interested in Owen Schmidt in this role. He's got great hands for a guy his size, can come out of the backfield to block or run routes, and has a mean streak.

Hback huh? how many different varieties on offense are we trying to show...we looking for the next Chris Cooley?...oh, and I wouldnt mind the pick, I like what an H-Back can bring to an offense....

Note that I have linked the two events together, no statement from any news oultet I've seen. I just didn't see any other Aggies listed.

There have been a couple reports from espn ( tv mel kiper section) that some of the smaller TE's will move to the H-back/ TE posisition. IF we draft Tamme I would rather him just stay at TE. But i really love Owen Shmidt. Also on my list of favorites is Peyton Hillis. This guy made Darren McFadden and Felix Jones have more time. He was a weapon. McFadden was a weapon. Jones was a weapon. Hillis can block run catch even paint the fences and warm you bench. He really is a utility man

All three Razorback 'backs were great college players. From games I watched, I don't recall Hillis being horribly slow either.

What's the highest aggregate position that three backs from the same school have been drafted, in the same year?

They are correctly looking at a lot of options. You don't know until draft day who is going to be on the board when they pick. They are merely doing due diligence, just as any business does before entering a contract situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom