Draft Speed (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Well, finally they threw those of us who are not ashamed to watch the entire first 2 rounds of the draft a bone. The time between picks has been reduced by a few minutes depending on round. Hopefully, things won't take as long. We pick at #10 and that usually would happen about 11:45 but this year, I'm hoping for 11:00 or 11:15.
Do you guys think that the shorter time between picks will help?
IMO, if you havent done your job as a coach/GM/scout and made a draft board over the course of the NCAA season, Bowl Season, Offseason, Combine, Prodays then you should be fired. It kills me to watch these teams wait till the bell rings to make their pick.
If you don't know who you want when your pick comes up, you don't deserve to have the job of drafting players. sheesh.

Well, finally they threw those of us who are not ashamed to watch the entire first 2 rounds of the draft a bone. The time between picks has been reduced by a few minutes depending on round. Hopefully, things won't take as long. We pick at #10 and that usually would happen about 11:45 but this year, I'm hoping for 11:00 or 11:15.
Do you guys think that the shorter time between picks will help?
IMO, if you havent done your job as a coach/GM/scout and made a draft board over the course of the NCAA season, Bowl Season, Offseason, Combine, Prodays then you should be fired. It kills me to watch these teams wait till the bell rings to make their pick.
If you don't know who you want when your pick comes up, you don't deserve to have the job of drafting players. sheesh.

If I am not mistaken I believe the beginning of the draft has been pushed back to the afternoon.

3:00 PM from what I have heard. The actual schedule hasn't been released yet (to the Radio City tix office anyway).

I liked the 15 minutes in between picks, but I love the draft. I hate that only 2 rounds are on the 1st day, I like to get 3 good rounds in, then 4 rounds on the 2nd day. 5 rounds in one day is a bit much I think.

I liked the 15 minutes in between picks, but I love the draft. I hate that only 2 rounds are on the 1st day, I like to get 3 good rounds in, then 4 rounds on the 2nd day. 5 rounds in one day is a bit much I think.

I agree and think we're in the minority. Draft Day weekend was/is my favorite do-nothing weekend of the year and they're ruining it.

I like it the way it was.

I actually watched the entire draft last year. It was very long but i enjoy that kind of thing. The 2 rounds on day one is BS

last year set a record for the longest first day of the draft or first round i dont rem. i watched just about the whole thing. i was freaking tired from sitting there all day......... but i couldnt get up, had to watch..... lol

I agree. The "fluff" in between picks and the extra time to flip through the draft books with speculation is the fun part. I really do not like the 2 round the first day.

I've heard they are making it more TV friendly as well. They want more of a primetime start time. If it starts in the 3 - 6 PM range...the deals done are going to increase dramatically. Everyone will wake up that morning really anxious to get their guy and the phones will be going crazy for an extra 6 hrs. or so. I'm predicting a VERY busy 1st round !!

I agree and think we're in the minority. Draft Day weekend was/is my favorite do-nothing weekend of the year and they're ruining it.

I like it the way it was.

Include me in that, its like a holiday to me, I didnt like the 15 min between picks, I think 10 would be fine and lower it by 2 minutes each round after, I dont like the 2 rounds on the first day though, what am I supposed to do with the rest of the day?...there will probably be some long 4hr addition of NFL Total Access after the first day (which I'll watch, im not complaining) but my days used to be better planned when I knew I was gonna be infront of the television from 11am to 11pm on Saturday and 10 am to 6pm on Sunday...i guess I'll have to wing it......

Count me in with the razzers to only two rounds on Saturday. They're trying to turn into a TV-time slot event. The heck with that. Add in the third round, especially since they've shortened the first to 10 minutes (which is fine with me, actually). People who aren't going to watch past the second round aren't going to tune in on Sunday anyway. So what if they turn their sets to another channel once the 3rd round starts? You'll get your nice advertising dollar anyway, ESPN.
We football geeks want our draft DAY, not our draft couple of hours. :angryrazz:

EDIT: I wish they'd started at 3 pm years ago when we still lived in Jersey. We could have gone after my synagogue job was over and seen the whole day. We pretty much had to give it up after I started doing that in '93 because by the time schule was done at 12:00 we couldn't get in until the first round was over and that was the whole afternoon gone.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom