Draft Talk - SOLB (1 Viewer)

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Few players im wondering where exactly they would play if we drafted them to the Saints:

Bjoern Werner - reminds me a ton of Ryan Kerrigan and Paul Kruger, people who projected as 4-3 defensive ends but surprisingly look good enough in linebacker drills, after trying to land kruger I think he is the type of player we are looking to land and would be a great 3-4 strongside backer and has the perfect size for it at 6"3 265. He doesnt have elite speed but he does have elite quickness and violent hands, he is good at getting to the QB and versus the run and is the player i really hope we land.

Ansah - looks like a great 4-3 end, could also play as a wolb rushing the QB but i wonder with his athleticism and strength if he could be a SOLB with his ability to also stop the run

Damontre Moore - people get wrapped up in 40 times but they are overrated, what u look for in a pass rusher is quickness. Moore is quick and has a knack for getting to the QB and making plays in the backfield for tackles for loss.

So we are only drafting SOLB because I think they have junior that contract to start. I don't know why people want us to draft a WLOB

Few players im wondering where exactly they would play if we drafted them to the Saints:

Bjoern Werner - reminds me a ton of Ryan Kerrigan and Paul Kruger, people who projected as 4-3 defensive ends but surprisingly look good enough in linebacker drills, after trying to land kruger I think he is the type of player we are looking to land and would be a great 3-4 strongside backer and has the perfect size for it at 6"3 265. He doesnt have elite speed but he does have elite quickness and violent hands, he is good at getting to the QB and versus the run and is the player i really hope we land.

Ansah - looks like a great 4-3 end, could also play as a wolb rushing the QB but i wonder with his athleticism and strength if he could be a SOLB with his ability to also stop the run

Damontre Moore - people get wrapped up in 40 times but they are overrated, what u look for in a pass rusher is quickness. Moore is quick and has a knack for getting to the QB and making plays in the backfield for tackles for loss.

These guys you are talking about fit a 4-3 and we are going to be running a 3-4 for and besides those guys are way to big to play solb

disagree about them being too big...
bjoern werner 6"3 265
Ryan kerrigan 6"4 267
shaun phillips 6"3 260
Paul Kruger 6"4 263
Brian Orakpo 6"3 265
Terrell Suggs 6"3 261
Aldon Smith 6"4 263
Nick Perry 6"3 271
Damarcus Ware 6"4 260
Lamar Woodley 6"2 266

in Rob Ryan's scheme both his OLBs are rarely asked to cover since he mainly does cover 1 press man blitzes using both OLB's rushing the QB so realisticaly its a 5-2 front with having 1 nt, 2 dt's and 2 de's

[/B]

These guys you are talking about fit a 4-3 and we are going to be running a 3-4 for and besides those guys are way to big to play solb

people like kerrigan and kruger were both projected as 4-3 defensive ends and have both excelled as 3-4 SOLBs.

I think having a Sam with the ability to cover would be ideal. But honestly I believe we will be bad in coverage even with someone projected to be a good cover Sam like Jordan. We should just focus on bringing so much heat that the coverage can hold up in the little amount of time before we get to the QB.

I would prefer my 3-4 SOLB to be a linebacker with good pass rush ability versus a defensive end trying to play LB. You can get away with that more at WOLB because they will be rushing the passer 90% of the time. But your SOLB is the primary defender in man coverage against TEs. You really need a guy with experience playing in space. Sure, guys like Kerrigan have panned out...but that certainly has lots to do with Kerrigan having an incredibly high football IQ.

Of the players you mentioned...Werner, Moore, and Ansah...without question Moore is the best fit for the position. He has the highest football IQ of the bunch and that will help him learn the game. I think that Werner would make a good WOLB but I am not sure about SOLB. He would really have to impress in drills and in interviews. There is absolutely no way that Ansah could play the position. The guy is 6'5" 275lb...and will likely be playing at 285 one day. He could potentially play 3-4 WDE or 3-4 WOLB...but there is not way that I see him at SOLB. I question whether he would be lost at 3-4 WOLB...but am just about certainly he would be completely clueless at 3-4 SOLB.

My top 3-4 SOLBs are:
1) Jarvis Jones (has played 3-4 OLB, capable in coverage, phenominal pass rusher, could have issues in setting the edge on the strong side)
2) Dion Jordan (coverage abilities make him a great fit for the position, above average pass rusher with potential to become great, will struggle in setting the edge because high COG and lower body weakness)
3) Jamie Collins (may just be the best fit in the entire draft. Experience in playing at LB and in man coverage responsbilities, good pass rusher with potential to be great, the size and strength to set the edge against the run. By far the most well rounded SOLB prospect)
4) Chase Thomas (experience playing 3-4 SOLB, good in pass rush but limited ceiling, willl be above average in TE man coverage, good at edge the edge in run defense)

TruSaint said:

Werner has the the same physical characteristics as Kerrigan and Kruger but he doesn't have the football IQ or anywhere near the motor. Find some game film of him that isn't just highlights and you'll see while his stock has fallen.

Ansah is a great athlete but looking at his production he is a project at best and will be a 4-3DE .

Moore projects best at 3-4 Will but watching him he look way too similar to Jerry Hughes.

While Ryan doesn't ask his SAMs to cover much sometimes its unavoidable and when you're looking at picking at 15 you want a 3 down player who isn't going to be a project.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

So we are only drafting SOLB because I think they have junior that contract to start. I don't know why people want us to draft a WLOB

Because even after signing Galette, they offered a boat load of money to Paul Kruger for him to come in and play the same position that Galette plays. Galette got a contract, but it's not a big enough deal to exclude taking a 1st round pick that plays the same position. Galette is still a work in progress and a bit of a question mark as a 3-4 Rush LB since he has not yet played the position in the NFL.

SOLB's in the 3-4 aren't asked to cover nearly as much as people think. The max targets that any one SOLB saw was 25, compared to the high 80's for a 4-3 SOLB.

With that in mind Galette can play SOLB since he's used to rushing from that side and we can draft a WOLB since that's what this draft is top heavy in.

SOLB's in the 3-4 aren't asked to cover nearly as much as people think. The max targets that any one SOLB saw was 25, compared to the high 80's for a 4-3 SOLB.

With that in mind Galette can play SOLB since he's used to rushing from that side and we can draft a WOLB since that's what this draft is top heavy in.

I was also thinking this, galette has good size for SOLB at 6"2 258, he is also used to playing that side as an end, let alone at SOLB, wouldnt mind drafting mingo to play wolb or richardson to play rde.

JackDiesel said:

learning something new everyday

I think Werner could make a successful transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 SOLB. He is very similar to Kerrigan in playing style.

I think Werner could make a successful transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 SOLB. He is very similar to Kerrigan in playing style.

agree, at the combine he also looked better than expected in linebacker drills.

TruSaint said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boondock

agree, at the combine he also looked better than expected in linebacker drills.

Trusaint does his questionable motor not worry you any?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom