Drafting a CB @10 (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I. like most of us here am hoping that the Saints will concentrate on improving our defense in the upcomming draft. Despite the recent signings I think we need improvement at all defensive positions including LB and CB. Condidering the injury history of Vilma and Morgan the possibility of Simmoneu and Shanle being our starters for much of the season is high. As far CB it seems that none of the top prosects are considered to be can't miss prospects.

Even if we are able to pick a top notch CB talent it's not going to solve our CB problem right away because rookie CBs are almost a invariably a huge liabilty. How many 1st year CBs are able to come in and be effective starters right away? I'm not saying that we shouldn't draft a CB in the first but if we do we need to be ready to allow the player to come along slowly and develope into a solid starter. And even if such a prosect is available we should only draft him if he's the best player available. DON'T REACH!

ps, I hate rookie corner backs.

I wouldn't be shocked if they pick OL or DE.

I'm hoping it's a corner though because that is our most obvious need I think. 2nd round hopefully we can get a DT and then LB'er in the 3rd......good year for backers so a 3rd rounder could be an eventual starter I believe.

I just can't see them picking all defense in the first 3 rounds.

I persoanlly think a few of the prospects are gonna make great corners. The only one I am not sure of is DRC (and he looks the part, seems to have all the tools) because I just have never seen him play so its hard to base a real opinion on him. I have seen at least 3 games from each of the other guys, I thought Kansas was playing the best football all season, and they were alotta fun to watch. they were smacking teams in the mouth on a weekly basis, and not backing down for anyone. so I saw Aqib Talib in about 9 games this year alone, and other than a handful of plays he looked stellar all season.

I will say this, not matter who you say and who we pick etc. They all have a high bust rate. Everyone in the draft has the same bust rate, its 50 percent. You can either play at this next level, or you can't simple as that. I don't care about the past and the percentages of 7th rounders making a team compared to 1st and how the percentage is lower etc. Because it different for everyone and its not lower, you can either play or you can't. Skeems and systems are gonna determine the success of every single player in this draft. I am just gonna let the coaches evaltuate and pick the one they think would excell best in thier skeem. College stats and games are a nice indicator IMO, but they still aren't the be all end all, and neither is the combine, or any pro day. They help get some indicators, but none of those things will tell you how someone will react to the new system he will be put in, and the level they can take thier game in the pro game.

I'd go as far as to say, while first round corners are risky starters in year one. Is thier a higher bust rate than DT. It has been said for years DT is the hardest position to predict because every DT coming into the NFL from college dosen't truly know how to rush the passer. The DTs being considered for the NFL game are always bigger, stronger and faster than they guys they are going up against in college that they rely on thier physical skills, I.e Strength, and size etc. way to much. At the NFL the playing field gets leveled, and you are no longer the biggest, and strongest player on the field, and you will rely ALOT more on technique than you will on your physical attributes. Which is something alot of them have never had to do, some have nice technique, but they don;t rely on it as much in college, because they are just naturaly more gifted than most of the players lining up across from them.

With all that said, would any of us pass on Ellis or Dorsey if they fell too ten, or if Laws fell to 41 (which he won't, but what if). I sure wouldn't, but you just never know with any of them. i personally think there are some fine corners in this draft that have everything you would like to build upon. But every player in this draft will have to adjust in some way shape or form, and how well they adjust is what matters. Problem is, there is no mesurable which can tell you if these guys can make the proper adjustment, and its different for everyone.

I just hope Payton does his homework and grabs us a few starters, I have my personal favorites. But they never get picked so over the years I have learned to accept whoever we draft, and just hope they contribute, sooner than later.

If we do go CB in round 1, I'm hoping it will be DRC (just cause of potential he has, how he dominated at his level, and how he played Man-to-Man most of the time)...

But we won't need him to play right away (which is shocking to say). Say, McKenzie comes back healthy...theirs your #1 CB. Now, other starter will be between David and Gay...I for one, think David will play better since he has a year under his belt in this D, and will probably have a chip on his shoulder. Which then Gay will be the nickel corner (where he excels). Young, will also be a little more experienced which then he can be the Dime. DRC can be #5 and be brought slowly in to start (how it went with his cousin). All others including Craft will be cut, unless the Saints want a vet just in-case or if they want to keep Craft for ST.

I still hate the thought of taking a CB @ #10 this year... even with our CBs being as weak as they are... I just can't see any of the CBs in this year's draft coming in and making an impact at CB from day 1 on this team. We can't afford to pull a "red-shirt Meachem" year with the tenth overall pick this year. If we can't land one of the following at 10... Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, Clady, Otah, or one of the Long's... then I am all for trading down and trying to get additional picks.

Even with DRCs workout numbers... I don't think he can help us this year as an impact player... and could be a reach @10... and all the other CBs are rated as mid-first to second round picks IMO.

If one of the "big guys" isn't there at #10... trade down for whatever we can get!

It has been said for years DT is the hardest position to predict because every DT coming into the NFL from college dosen't truly know how to rush the passer. The DTs being considered for the NFL game are always bigger, stronger and faster than they guys they are going up against in college that they rely on thier physical skills, I.e Strength, and size etc. way to much. .

I agree with this but I also think it applies CBs. How often do these guys face top notch WRs and even when they do they're not facing a guy nearly as polished as any veteran NFL reciever.

I wouldn't mind if we traded down with Dallas for their two picks even if we have to throw in another pick.

I agree with this but I also think it applies CBs. How often do these guys face top notch WRs and even when they do they're not facing a guy nearly as polished as any veteran NFL reciever.

I wouldn't mind if we traded down with Dallas for their two picks even if we have to throw in another pick.

Well it applies to everyone basilcy. The level of competiton isn't the same. But you can get better reading of a guy plays say at corner, when the will still use alot of technique at the college level (although the get away with tons more contact) I think thats one of the main reasons corners take time now days. They are allowed to chicken fight alot more in the college game than they are in the pros, after 5 yds, hands off. Unless your a receiver, where you can pretty much push guys around on the regular. But Corners use more technique in college than most D linemen. I think its the inability for CBs to get as physical with NFL Wrs, as they did in the NCAA is what throws alot them off.
But you are right, for alotta these top prospects, they have always been a cut above the rest. Which is why its important to get a guy you think will make the right decisions, and do the right things to better himself as a player. Most of the other stuff can be coached up, the player just has to be willing.

I am 200 percent for trading with Dallas getting 24 and 28 for 10 and 73 and getting say Trevor Laws at 24 and Anton Cason or Dan Connor at 28 in the first, with Mayo, Lofton, or which ever corner falls in our lap (if we go connor over cason). I really couldn't complain with a Laws, Cason, Mayo first day of the draft. matter of fact I would be estatic. But thats only if McFadden falls and JJ really wants him. I have been thinking all along if Jerry Jones does make the trade, he is gunning for Long or Gholsten for his 3 - 4. I'm probably wrong, but I just don't buy into to much of what these guys let on in the media. Also I am fairly sure, if both 1st were on the table, and a 3rd and Marion Barber which was reported, Parcells would have already gift wrapped the pick for Jerry Jones, JMHO. Unless Barber is involved with the trade up, I don;t see Jones going for McFadden if he trades up.

What is with this sudden afformation that rookie corners cant play in this league? all the big time corners in this league have been playing from day 1 and they all didnt come from the first round, some guys just have "it"...not it remains to be seen if the guy we draft has "it" like any rookie, you wont know until camp...Rookie recievers arent supposed to have big impacts and we seen were that went (Holt, Bolden, Colston, Moss....) its not an exact science either way, but its most definetly not a fact, rookie corners cant help a team.

Dunta Robinson agrees with meily, as do I. I would rather Ellis or Dorsey with the 10 pick, but i just think they will be better pros than any of the corners and would impact the team more. But if those 2 are gone I have made it no secret I want a corner, and which ever Payton decides is best because the top 5 or 6 all look pretty good to me.

I think this is one of the few deep cb classes and we are picking ten and may get our choice which would be nice considering how long they can play, but our scouting staff has not done very well scouting this position for a very long time and I wonder if they can pick a good cb. We have shown the ability to take a good DE and I do have confidence in them selecting, DT refer to CB.

Dunta Robinson agrees with meily, as do I. I would rather Ellis or Dorsey with the 10 pick, but i just think they will be better pros than any of the corners and would impact the team more. But if those 2 are gone I have made it no secret I want a corner, and which ever Payton decides is best because the top 5 or 6 all look pretty good to me.

thats how i feel too for the most part. we need more youth in our secondary all of our corners are getting old except for young/gay, i still dont like david in our system but i hope he gets better while hes still on our team. i think a guy like cormartie/mckelvin/cason could contribute this year and become starters for us next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom