Drafting a WVU player seems imminent. (1 Viewer)

Grier not only had a weird throwing motion but the ball flies through the air in a strange way. It’s slow but it gets there. Like he threw a frisbee.

Don’t want him to be the pick.
So true. But somehow he’s very accurate and will stand in the pocket—sometimes too long—and deliver even if it means taking a big hit. He can throw from different platforms and make some off-schedule throws but he has to settle himself and learn to reset. I still think he has to improve his base and footwork; doing so will give his balls more velocity/zip. But there is some “it” factor with him and he does remind you a bit of Mayfield as someone said earlier. Again, ideally, you wish he falls to day 3 or rather the Saints do because they have other areas they want to target. But that is very unlikely to occur.

Last edited:
Problem with drafting Grier is this.

Brees, Bridgewater, Hill.

I don’t see any of the three getting cut... maybe you could trade Bridgewater but I doubt it, an despite Hill’s utility, he is still a QB. I seriously doubt we carry 4 QBs and we are not sneaking a high to mid round QB on to the practice squad. Maybe we grab a QB in the 6th or 7th, and I’m sure we will snag an UDFA, but spending our limited draft Capitol rounds 2-5 seems unlikely.

Problem with drafting Grier is this.

Brees, Bridgewater, Hill.

I don’t see any of the three getting cut... maybe you could trade Bridgewater but I doubt it, an despite Hill’s utility, he is still a QB. I seriously doubt we carry 4 QBs and we are not sneaking a high to mid round QB on to the practice squad. Maybe we grab a QB in the 6th or 7th, and I’m sure we will snag an UDFA, but spending our limited draft Capitol rounds 2-5 seems unlikely.
Problem, maybe. But Hill also plays special teams and various offensive positions so you almost have to not think of him as a true QB. I think the other thing, and this is what the Saints are looking at, is outside of Hill you don’t have a QB on the roster for 2020. You can assume even if Drew walks away, you’ll have the chance to bring back Teddy but there aren’t any guarantees. And I can tell you the Saints will be very reluctant to franchise Teddy (given the cost) even if they believe him to be their QB of the future.

Gary is very good. A clutch player when you need to move the sticks. Highly underrated imo. Could prove to be better than Sills.
Sills is still growing as a wr so his ceiling may be higher. Sills has to get stronger when jammed.
What little I have seen of Gary is he doesn't drop the ball when it's thrown at him and he's fast. He always seemed get bumped around off his route, but still managed to catch the ball. He runs a pretty nice seam route, too which the Saints love to throw. He also seemed to have a knack for find the soft spot in coverage and settling there. I Iead he was seen speaking with Saints officials at the senior Bowl, too.

I wouldn't mind if he wore #12.

Living in WV now I’ve had to watch a good bit of Grier and though he makes some bad passes at times, he also makes some very NFL ready passes. The drive, then touchdown pass against Texas last year was a thing of beauty to set up the win.

He might not be ready now but given time he has all the tools to be a very good NFL QB with solid coaching. That being said I’m ok with Teddy.

As far as sills goes the kid can play, he needs to add to his frame but I think he can def be another cooper kupp type receiver as someone already stated. I’d be happy if we got him with one of our middle picks, second round would probably be too early in my opinion.

Getting away from the logistics, I'm not a huge fan of Will Grier. While hes had some clutch moments in his career, he has been inconsistent at times l, and has had questionable decision making. He has also had problems with his accuracy as well at times. If hes there at 62, theres a pretty good reason for it.

I understand that we need to start preparing for life after brees. This year is not the year to do that. Especially with the draft capital we have. Besides, at the least we have a pretty good bridge QB in Teddy Bridgewater. Who as well could be the answer for life after Brees. I'm pretty sure that's the idea as well. Sean loves him and wants him here.

Per PFF, Grier is one of the most-accurate passers in this year’s class with an adjusted completion percentage of 76.6% and an average depth of targets at 11.1 yards.

If he's there at 62, it's because he lacks ideal size, which does not concern me. See Drew Bress, Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield. Barring "ideal" size, Grier has the makings to be a franchise QB: (1) the "It" factor you can't teach; (2) he's a "confident leader"; (3) can read defenses; (4) showed at the senior bowl and his pro-day he has an NFL caliber arm (threw faster than the average NFL QB); (5) he's more mobile than his combine numbers suggest (he tested more athletically than Mayfield, and watch Grier's Florida tape); (6) he's a strong competitor; and (7) he's accurate-see above.

Regarding Teddy Bridgewater, (1) he is not under contract after this year, and (2) if we hit on a rookie QB (who will be evaluated and competing against Bridgewater this year), we will have more money to re-sign our guys who are up for big pay days next year.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlea...-draft-pick-prediction-131109636/#131109636_1

Will Grier at pick 62 would be a steal.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/saints...ospects-will-grier-west-virginia-pro-day/amp/

Saints had 9 reps at the wvu pro day.
The most of any team.

I might finally get a Mountaineer on my Saints. It's been awhile.
Qb Will Grier, wr David Sills, lb David Long, OT Yodny Cajuste, wr Gary Jennings and te Trevon Wesco.
My gut is telling me we get one, if not 2.
Adding Wesco late would be a smart move.
I won't get many responses because most already have their favorites and won't budge.
Writing is on the wall, the position we draft in round 2 is up in the air. We've put ourselves in a position to draft bpa no matter what. If that's a qb, so be it.
I trust the process our front office employs. VALUE
I love Grier! I think he’s the best QB in the draft, definitely I’d say he’s the type of player that can start from day 1. But in this case he’d get a great year learning under Brees. Problem is I don’t think he lasts past round 1.

I’m not familiar with the other guys but your Mountaineers always pump out good NFL players so I’ll take your word on them.
I’d like us to start out with a WR, then TE. And then go BPA

Per PFF, Grier is one of the most-accurate passers in this year’s class with an adjusted completion percentage of 76.6% and an average depth of targets at 11.1 yards.

If he's there at 62, it's because he lacks ideal size, which does not concern me. See Drew Bress, Russell Wilson, Baker Mayfield. Barring "ideal" size, Grier has the makings to be a franchise QB: (1) the "It" factor you can't teach; (2) he's a "confident leader"; (3) can read defenses; (4) showed at the senior bowl and his pro-day he has an NFL caliber arm (threw faster than the average NFL QB); (5) he's more mobile than his combine numbers suggest (he tested more athletically than Mayfield, and watch Grier's Florida tape); (6) he's a strong competitor; and (7) he's accurate-see above.

Regarding Teddy Bridgewater, (1) he is not under contract after this year, and (2) if we hit on a rookie QB (who will be evaluated and competing against Bridgewater this year), we will have more money to re-sign our guys who are up for big pay days next year.
Would love this pick as well. He’s a competitor and I feel like if you put him in the scenario where he backs up Brees he could prosper.Lotta clutch moments over the years and from what ive seen his work ethic is awesome.

On the flip side for this year I feel like slot WR or DT are higher on the mix. Throw cornerback in there as well because we have no idea how Robinson will look like when he comes back.

While success rates for 2nd rounds QBs to be a successor are low I say we take this shot or trade up for it. Otherwise when Brees leaves we are going to be an utterly middling team. Too much talent to be a top 5 pick but not nearly enough to land a standout QB.

If the Saints want Grier, they may have to deal with Houston for pick 54 or 55 .
The Pats hold pick 56.
Now I'm not saying draft Grier, I just know
that the Saints like him.
I know Sean likes somebody on my eers, just
not sure who.
If we pass on Grier, I sure hope he goes to the afc
On a side note, I knew Lock would fall. He struggled with good SEC defenses.
Gonna be a fun couple days.
Especially day 3. :)

If the Saints want Grier, they may have to deal with Houston for pick 54 or 55 .
The Pats hold pick 56.
Now I'm not saying draft Grier, I just know
that the Saints like him.
I know Sean likes somebody on my eers, just
not sure who.
If we pass on Grier, I sure hope he goes to the afc
On a side note, I knew Lock would fall. He struggled with good SEC defenses.
Gonna be a fun couple days.
Especially day 3. :)
Sean really likes Grier and I will not rule him out. I think he remains in play. But there are some OLs and WRs also on the board who they really like and you can never have enough corners. Suffice it to say tomorrow will be very interesting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom