Drafting for success (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I dislike AJ Smith... I'll give the guy credit for building his team the right way... thru the draft.

I'd love to see our FO draft with that type of success... Bill Polian is another guy that gets great results from the draft.

Last season's draft may not have been as bad as it seemed. Meachem has a chance to come in and contribute as the #2 receiver... #3 at at the worst.

Allenman has a chance to step in and start at the vacant LG spot.

Usama has a shot at starting at CB.

Bushrod could probably give Stinch a run for his money at RT.

Marvin Mitchell did contribute on ST last year, and has a year in the system which could probably amount to him getting more PT at MIKE.

This year the draft is deep at the positions that we need to fill. There are some real good CBs, OLBs, ILBs, and DTs that we could draft that would set us up for a long run at the top... here's to hoping our FO draft wisely.

:9:

Last years draft was premature, we went into the draft looking for depth and not starters, because Coach Payton thought he had the players in place (NFC Championship game) but those guys (rightfully so) weren't ready to contribute when we took a dive this year...that won't happen this time around (fingers crossed)

I felt the chargers drafted out of need and did very well.

They needed a runningback and draft LT
They needed a QB(at the time) and got Rivers
They needed a TE and got Gates
They needed LB help so they got Merriman
And when they drafted Cromartie they needed help in the secondary.

The saints drafted Deuce when we didn't need a RB, we got Bush when we didn't really need a RB, we drafted Will Smith when we didn't need a DE, and then we drafted Meachem when we didn't really need a WR.

I just feel lately the Saints, when they drafted BPA did an okay job, but they upgraded positions on our team that we were "ok" at and stood pat on our desperate needs until the later rounds.

After 2003, We didn't draft a CB in the first 2 rounds, We didn't draft a LB in our first 2 rounds. And we didn't draft a DT in our first 2 rounds.

Whats are 3 biggest needs again? 5 years running

I felt the chargers drafted out of need and did very well.

They needed a runningback and draft LT
They needed a QB(at the time) and got Rivers
They needed a TE and got Gates
They needed LB help so they got Merriman
And when they drafted Cromartie they needed help in the secondary.

The saints drafted Deuce when we didn't need a RB, we got Bush when we didn't really need a RB, we drafted Will Smith when we didn't need a DE, and then we drafted Meachem when we didn't really need a WR.

I just feel lately the Saints, when they drafted BPA did an okay job, but they upgraded positions on our team that we were "ok" at and stood pat on our desperate needs until the later rounds.

After 2003, We didn't draft a CB in the first 2 rounds, We didn't draft a LB in our first 2 rounds. And we didn't draft a DT in our first 2 rounds.

Whats are 3 biggest needs again? 5 years running

CB, DT, LB

Most early round picks (1-12) are generally made out of need... The Saints would probably still be drafting for need in the 1st had they not drafted Sully a few years ago. Had they drafted another need player at #6 (Trufant) it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom