Drag Queen Story Hour... (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Drag Queen Story Hour brings pride and glamor to libraries across U.S.
Three years after Drag Queen Story Hour’s San Francisco debut, drag performers are reading to kids in bookstores and libraries from New York to Alaska.

180619-drag-queen_-story-hour-2-ew-1256p_3626a7f03ecdd92f6e3013f890808fae.fit-2000w.jpg

When Angel Elektra entered a Manhattan branch of the New York Public Library last Thursday, the clamor of children faded. Dozens of little faces swiveled around to watch the 6-foot-tall drag queen clad in teal and black lace glide through the space. Everyone could see Elektra’s thrilled expression from across the room: After all, it was painted on her face.

As she sauntered toward her perch, she waved to the attentive crowd. She then took a seat on a chair made for someone perhaps half her height and began to read from “The Drag Queen Story Hour” coloring book.

“What is a drag queen?” Elektra asked, reading from page two.

“A performer!” yelled a boy from the audience.

“A dragon?” asked another.

“No, not a dragon,” Elektra replied.

“Between a dragon and a person,” another kid shouted.

Elektra paused. “That works,” she deadpanned.

Drag Queen Story Hour brings pride and glamor to libraries across U.S.

Now that I think about it, my childhood was full of drag queens. Klinger from MASH, Monty Python, the Kids in the Hall, the occasional trip to the French Quarter.

Drag queens are the fabric of our lives. Or something.

I grew up on Lakeview Playground (almost literally)
For baseball, there were 2 main divisions
“novice” was for 5 - 8 year old teams and they played other teams from the playground
“Nord” was 9+ and they played team from other NORD playgrounds
Anyway, at the end of the big summer Fair, the novice vs Nord coaches would dress in drag and have a big cabbage ball game

70s baby. Keep on truckin

I loved the 70s! Much more fun than today. Or maybe I was just having more fun. Yeah, that’s probably it now that I think about it.

I knew I could count on you guys... I tell ya... I remember after a long hard day at kindergarten riding my tricycle down to the Quarter for a couple Malted Milks and holla at a couple DQ's... Looking for a date to go catch the Rupaul concert...
I tell ya... 1st grade ain't all it's cracked up to be... The man telling me who I am supposed to be and all... Total Bullshirt... I was really confused...

But thank goodness for 2nd grade when my Mom got laid off and she took that job at the strip club... When the girls came over it made show and tell a little more worthwhile,,, My confusion stopped...

“I think the idea is to expose kids to different kinds of gender presentations,” Aimee told NBC News, “to see beyond the blue and pink gender binary that kids often grow up learning about.”
Aimee said the first event she organized was at the Greenlight Bookstore in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, and it was packed. A librarian from the Brooklyn Public Library attended that first event and helped Aimee bring Drag Queen Story Hour to the New York Public Library system in the summer of 2016.

No, but seriously folks... I am very glad that Drag Queens can come into our public library system and teach little boys that it's OK to wear dresses... Some bodies gotta do it... Please make sure that YOUR KIDS don't miss out on this fantastic youth event...

drag queens.jpg

There’s the whine, we knew it was coming. Last I checked, they don’t make anybody go to the public library.

A couple of days ago, my daughter was swimming with some cousins at a family outing. It was hot and the Fla-vor-ices got broken out. One of the boy cousins asked for a 'pink one' and another cousin asked, "Why do you want a pink one? Pink is for girls."

Without missing a beat, my daughter points out, "There's no such thing as a boy color and a girl color. He can have pink, I'll have a blue."

I was pretty proud.

I imagine Joe believes I'm ushering in a social apocalypse however.

And yet, the sun came up the next day. Lights still turned on. Traffic moved. People went to work.

I think, somehow, we'll get by. Even if barely

No, but seriously folks... I am very glad that Drag Queens can come into our public library system and teach little boys that it's OK to wear dresses... Some bodies gotta do it... Please make sure that YOUR KIDS don't miss out on this fantastic youth event...
I mean...... right, right?. Please make sure you are raising your kids and talking to them yourself and get your head out of your own arse.

Now that I think about it, my childhood was full of drag queens. Klinger from MASH, Monty Python, the Kids in the Hall, the occasional trip to the French Quarter.

Drag queens are the fabric of our lives. Or something.

Bugs Bunny.

I used to work with a guy, loved the Looney Toons. Wouldn't let his kids watch Spongebob cause he said it's gay... then couldn't respond when it was pointed out that Bugs Bunny dressed in drag all the time.

Bugs Bunny.

I used to work with a guy, loved the Looney Toons. Wouldn't let his kids watch Spongebob cause he said it's gay... then couldn't respond when it was pointed out that Bugs Bunny dressed in drag all the time.

I find it curious when people seem so worried that a TV show or a drag-queen story time at the library, or letting their son dress as Queen Elsa for Halloween is going to "turn the child gay." Do they really have that little confidence in their own sexuality? As if, 'but for the fact that I watched John Wayne and Magnum PI, who knows - I could have been gay too!'? It's weird to me that they think sexuality is that whimsical.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom