Drag Queen Story Hour... (1 Viewer)

That kid looks like she's watching real life cartoons no different than Santa Claus at the Mall or Disney Princesses.

To see that picture in any other light is a bit odd and if some of your stripper girls decide that they're going to hang out at the library and read books aloud to little kids whose parents bring them for story hour then how is that any of your business or problem?

More importantly, when I was a kid we taught kids to be gender appropriate by dressing them up as cowboys and indians or army men. My friends and I would dramatize war and our santized American history of genocide. We watched TV shows depicting blacks as mindless clowns. There were no minority role models. There were really no female role models and I just don't get your absolute refusal to even consider the opinions of others on this or the other matter you're transfixed by.

Wait till Joe finds out about Mardi Gras.

Just because you are a Queer Drag Queen does not make you a Role Model to Children, no more that Being a Stripper makes you a Role Model for Children.'

Others have already covered this point. I addressed this in a very recent post. You haven’t seemed to respond directly to those questions/points.

And supporting it just because it is what it is; is just about as bad...

I wish you would be more specific instead of trailing off into ellipses so much, or dropping a picture, or link instead of elaborating on your opinion, or answering specific questions.

I have said it all I can say... I rest my case..

With respect, and I mean that, I don’t think you presented much of a case. You expressed a lot of ambiguous and seemingly arbitrary moralizing. I didn’t find a lot of specificity in your thoughts though, and you left a lot of unanswered questions.

Just recently you posted an out of context picture of a “what’s your drag name” page from a coloring book(?) instead of answering a question. I can guess what your implication was with the picture, but I found that to be more than a bit lazy, and frankly, a dodge. In any case, it didn’t really strengthen your “case” because it wasn’t really a direct answer.

Others have already covered this point. I addressed this in a very recent post. You haven’t seemed to respond directly to those questions/points.

I wish you would be more specific instead of trailing off into ellipses so much, or dropping a picture, or link instead of elaborating on your opinion, or answering specific questions.

With respect, and I mean that, I don’t think you presented much of a case. You expressed a lot of ambiguous and seemingly arbitrary moralizing. I didn’t find a lot of specificity in your thoughts though, and you left a lot of unanswered questions.

Just recently you posted an out of context picture of a “what’s your drag name” page from a coloring book(?) instead of answering a question. I can guess what your implication was with the picture, but I found that to be more than a bit lazy, and frankly, a dodge. In any case, it didn’t really strengthen your “case” because it wasn’t really a direct answer.

We're supposed to see the drag queen name bit and then have a beaver cleaver moment and realize how right Joe is that we should all be a bunch of close minded, bigoted hillbillies. That was supposed to shame us into admitting that our open minded willingness to consider that some child's parent might find a reason to take their child to have books read to them by drag queens. My parents drug me to hundreds of events in NOLA as a kid where a seemingly never ending parade of losers posed as coaches and football players and pretended to be an NFL team.

Even after that I still became a Saints fan and I don't ogle little children.

We're supposed to see the drag queen name bit and then have a beaver cleaver moment and realize how right Joe is

Yeah, I think that was clearly the intent. That’s frustrating because this is all under the pretense of discussion and “looking for answers”, but I didn’t find that pic to be a particularly strong (or clever) point, and someone was clearly asking for his thoughts and elaboration on his opinion.

I am sorry.. Somehow I missed your response on Stripper Hour.. If there is a question you can ask.. or a statement, please re-state it...

As to answering whodatfan76 or samiam... No... I really want answer from him first.. What is his Drag Name? Point is he doesn;t have one... Then why should the kids??? Why should they be taught how to pick a Drag name... What good is that memory? If they are not queer drag queens, then why do they need a drag name or should they look forward to having one, one day?

dtc says the little dirl is looking at characters like Santa Clause... So I guess this is the perfect age for sexual introductions for a child right?

I really like how old dtc says... "It's OK by me.. But I wouldn't take my kids to it..." But calls me judgemental...

I am Done.. No more... Not going to sit here and keep arguing with you guys about it... You want to take your kids to see Drag Queens and learn what life is like as a Drag Queen.. Be my guest.. I'd rather take my kids to the movies, the park, the ballgame or just sit in the parking lot of a strip club and hollar at the girls as they go into work. ;)

Yeah, I think that was clearly the intent. That’s frustrating because this is all under the pretense of discussion and “looking for answers”, but I didn’t find that pic to be a particularly strong (or clever) point, and someone was clearly asking for his thoughts and elaboration on his opinion.

Joe is a simple yet complicated guy whose thoughts are becoming more and more confusing the more he shares them and the more he can't back up the logical foundation upon which he's built them.

Let's take this drag queen thing which includes him telling us that drag queens and LBGTQ folks are not to be role models and that they should not have any access to children even in a library setting reading books. he's told us he doesn't believe you can "catch" the gay, but still he thinks confused kids ought to be brought up so "boys are boys and girls are girls." He won't back that statement up with detail so we're left assuming he wants little girls in pink pinafores and little boys in blue cowboy suits presumably with their pants tucked into their shiny white boots.

During his defense of this opinion he mixed in hookers and strippers. We all know his complete disdain for NFL players who he says insult our service men and police by kneeling in front of the flag though he's never served as a cop or in the military. Interestingly, the stripper angle gets to me because Joe runs a strip club. He's overtly professed his love and admiration for some of the girls yet he finds them so morally offensive that children ought to be protected from interaction with them even if it's just to be read a book. I guess you can't catch the gay, but maybe you can catch the stripper. I don't know.

The odd part of all of this is his determination in other areas to stand up for the little guy. He has opined about the feelings of the girls he works with many times. He's shown himself to be a fundamentally good guy who really gives a damn about his fellow man, but when it comes to NFL players kneeling in protest of differential treatment of black people by law enforcement he comes unglued and demands they be fired for insulting military personnel.

Still more interesting is that a small town guy who likes the traditional American values and stands up so vociferously for his version of them, undermines the real story being taught which is one of acceptance and tolerance and one of our quintessential American values.

Every American has value, Joe will tell you. Each of us are unique and have a right to be accepted. These ideas are taught to us at every occasion. Rudolph and the Isle of Misfit Toys. The Bad News Bears. Thomas the Train thinking he can. Even the indelible story of our own New Orleans Saints is one of the odd man out - the underdog who seeks acceptance to finally overcome and become one of the accepted ones, but Joe doesn't see that. He doesn't equate the attempt to read to kids by Drag Queens as a means to build acceptance and foster understanding and tolerance. Instead, he sees it as an attempt to undermine Murika and to trash "our values" when, in reality, it's a picture of what true American values really are. And instead of being psycho parents exposing their children to perversion and risking their eternal damnation as he sees them, these parents taking their kids to these readings are simply living our American philosophy of acceptance and tolerance. They're the ones teaching American values. They're the ones who are trying to end bullying and stereotyping. They may ever be trying to protect their own kids from being the ostracized, but whatever their intent I think Joe's got it all jacked up and backwards.

I guess it's too bad.

Before I answer that, would you answer me this question... What's Your Drag Name? I'll be waiting.. Please tell me...

drag-queens-2-jpg.99691

Before I answer that, could you answer my question?

I am sorry.. Somehow I missed your response on Stripper Hour.. If there is a question you can ask.. or a statement, please re-state it...

As to answering whodatfan76 or samiam... No... I really want answer from him first.. What is his Drag Name? Point is he doesn;t have one... Then why should the kids??? Why should they be taught how to pick a Drag name... What good is that memory? If they are not queer drag queens, then why do they need a drag name or should they look forward to having one, one day?

dtc says the little dirl is looking at characters like Santa Clause... So I guess this is the perfect age for sexual introductions for a child right?

I really like how old dtc says... "It's OK by me.. But I wouldn't take my kids to it..." But calls me judgemental...

I am Done.. No more... Not going to sit here and keep arguing with you guys about it... You want to take your kids to see Drag Queens and learn what life is like as a Drag Queen.. Be my guest.. I'd rather take my kids to the movies, the park, the ballgame or just sit in the parking lot of a strip club and hollar at the girls as they go into work. ;)

You're completely mischaracterizing what I said and you're doign it on purpose.

I wouldn't take my kid to it because I'm not going to the library and I don't see any good it would do me or my kid. We don't do the library.

You've said nobody should do it. You've said it ought not have space on the taxpayers dime. You've said it's bad for the kids and shouldn't be allowed..
I said I wouldn't drive over and spend my time and there's a real difference. I also wouldn't earn my living by managing a bunch of strippers because that's not an environment I'd like to spend my life in, but I've never once said you shouldn't or couldn't.

This was a disappointing response. I feel like it’s fair to say that you weren’t really sincere about discussion, hearing other opinions, or finding answers.

I suppose I could detail how much of what you just posted was misinterpreted and/or misrepresented, but it seems likes it’s not worth it.

As to the part of bolded, that’s been a big part of what many people have been saying. Nobody is forced to attend these events, or even take notice of them. Those who want to go to the movies, strip clubs, or other story times, are free to do so without interruption. So what’s the big deal?

we've taken that apart a few times - Drag Queens typically sing (lip sync) and maybe a bit of cabaret dancing (cabaret the genre not the fosse musical). i've seen a few drag shows and don't ever remember seeing simulated sex acts
see if you notice a difference:
Young child: what do you do?
DQ: Dress up and sing

Young child: what do you do?
Stripper: show my boobs and write in a way that suggests sex

when my son took Chinese in 1st grade they gave him a Chinese name
to this date 4 years later, he retains the name and has not turned Chinese - of course he hasn't hit puberty yet, i will let you know if there is some latent gene that causes post-pubescent Sinoism

This was a disappointing response. I feel like it’s fair to say that you weren’t really sincere about discussion, hearing other opinions, or finding answers.

I suppose I could detail how much of what you just posted was misinterpreted and/or misrepresented, but it seems likes it’s not worth it.

As to the part of bolded, that’s been a big part of what many people have been saying. Nobody is forced to attend these events, or even take notice of them. Those who want to go to the movies, strip clubs, or other story times, are free to do so without interruption. So what’s the big deal?

and I feel it's fair to say that you are dealing with 1 person.. While I am dealing with 5 or 6 people... Plus dtc has about 3 different long arsed post to digest... analize and retort to.. So I really don;t think that's a fair statement to make on my behalf saying I am not about discussion... Other than guido continues to say... No, it's not ok to have stripper hour... But continues to find reason that it's ok for Drag Queen Hour... Funny how one is OK but not the other...

Like I said... I have had my say... I am done with the subject.. But please don;t say I am avoiding anything...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom