Drag Queen Story Hour... (1 Viewer)

I don’t have any issue with Drag Queen Storytime but I do think they need to do background checks on anyone working with kids on their property, or as part of one of their programs.

I used to be part of a reading/tutoring program at a library and I’m pretty sure I agreed to a background check.

Yeah, anybody who wants to do programs with children should be checked.

a criminal records check is pretty standard procedure for working with kids up here - and that should be the case anywhere

library volunteer reader screening here requires the applicant to provide permission for a background/police records check

Here in California you need your fingerprints run to help do anything with kids. Youth sports, classroom chaperones, parent school volunteers, heck even field trip go with your kid you need them run

Who would have thought drag queens and toddlers might not be a good mix.

So let me get this straight.

In this highly controversial subject of Drag Queens reading to toddlers in a public library, one of the drag queens is found out to be a sexual offender for assaulting an 8 year old boy?? And the only replies are: "They should do a background check."

Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

Well no sheet Sherlock...

How about you don't read to our kids at all because YOU have a special sexual orientation. That's your business, not our kids business.

Who came up with this brilliant idea?

In this highly controversial subject of Drag Queens reading to toddlers in a public library, one of the drag queens is found out to be a sexual offender for assaulting an 8 year old boy?? And the only replies are: "They should do a background check."

Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

Well no shirt Sherlock...

How about you don't read to our kids at all because YOU have a special sexual orientation. That's your business, not our kids business.

I think the results of a proper background check will tell us more about whether it is safe for someone to work with children than what gender or sexual orientation they are.

Who would have thought drag queens and toddlers might not be a good mix.

Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

what should our replies have been or included? What did we miss?

You say this should depend on "sexual orientation" - so do you think you should be a certain sexual orientation to be able to volunteer to read to kids at a public library? Do you need to be heterosexual? What about homosexual? Asexual? Pansexual? Bisexual? Why should any/all of these matter?

what makes a sexual orientation "special" over another? And what does the designation of "special" have to do with this?

did you know that cross dressing and sexual orientation are two separate things?

what do you think the link is (I asked because it seems you believe there's one, but maybe you don't) between cross dressers and pedophilia or sexual abuse/harassment of children? How would it compare to, say, heterosexual pedophiles (considering the overwhelming majority of pedophiles are heterosexual males)?

Did you read the article? I just did - and they said that they have a policy to run a background check, but did not in this case. They didn't do their due diligence and they are suffering the PR consequences (and thankfully it didn't go beyond that).

I'm not sure what, exactly, to make of this post. It seems a bit scattered.

Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

It's surreal.

Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

That is the very essence of discrimination. Making a categorical exclusion of a class of people based on an association that may apply to a very small percentage of the people and is far more directly mitigated in other rational ways that don't involve categorical exclusion. There is no direct association that "drag queen = sex offender" - so because one of these people turns out is a sex offender, the whole thing should be shut down? I can find articles about strip club owners being sex offenders, so does that mean strip club owners shouldn't be allowed to read to children?

Is the justification for the discrimination because these people have a "special sexual orientation"? Being a drag queen isn't a sexual orientation - but it may have certain qualities about it that related to sexual or gender-based activity. But by your same logic, we should categorically exclude Catholic priests from interacting with children because they have a "special sexual orientation" (celibate)? I see articles every day about new molestation allegations associated with Catholic priests, I frankly don't see any such allegations about drag queens and kids . . . except for this information that a drag queen library program participant was a sex offender. My sense of it is that many more children have been molested by Catholic priests than by drag queens.

We don't just react to singular incidents with broad-brush discrimination. We can mitigate the risk with sensible measures, by having rules that include a background check.

That is the very essence of discrimination. Making a categorical exclusion of a class of people based on an association that may apply to a very small percentage of the people and is far more directly mitigated in other rational ways that don't involve categorical exclusion. There is no direct association that "drag queen = sex offender" - so because one of these people turns out is a sex offender, the whole thing should be shut down? I can find articles about strip club owners being sex offenders, so does that mean strip club owners shouldn't be allowed to read to children?

Is the justification for the discrimination because these people have a "special sexual orientation"? Being a drag queen isn't a sexual orientation - but it may have certain qualities about it that related to sexual or gender-based activity. But by your same logic, we should categorically exclude Catholic priests from interacting with children because they have a "special sexual orientation" (celibate)? I see articles every day about new molestation allegations associated with Catholic priests, I frankly don't see any such allegations about drag queens and kids . . . except for this information that a drag queen library program participant was a sex offender. My sense of it is that many more children have been molested by Catholic priests than by drag queens.

We don't just react to singular incidents with broad-brush discrimination. We can mitigate the risk with sensible measures, by having rules that include a background check.

Add Baptist Preachers to that list as well:

Oh and probably any doctors that work with Gymnast.

Oh and probably a majority of politicians and Supreme Court Justices as well...

[Too many to link too]

Last edited:
Add Baptist Preachers to that list as well:

Oh and probably any doctors that work with Gymnast.

Oh and probably a majority of politicians and Supreme Court Justices as well...

Damn. A lawyer is a sex offender. I need to make sure never to read to children.

Crap. I guess we have to shut down all the kindergartens. A kindergarten teacher is a sex offender. How can we let kindergarten teachers teach children?

I can find articles about strip club owners being sex offenders, so does that mean strip club owners shouldn't be allowed to read to children?

If the owner brought a couple of the girls in G strings and pasties and set up a stripper pole I am pretty sure I would opt to take my kids fishing instead of the library that day. Well, actually I might let their mother take them, I have some overdue books that need to be returned.

If the owner brought a couple of the girls in G strings and pasties and set up a stripper pole I am pretty sure I would opt to take my kids fishing instead of the library that day.

Obviously they couldn't do that for other reasons - but yes, take your kids fishing when the library has a program that you don't think is a good idea. That's entirely sensible. Nobody is saying anyone has to like it or must subject their kids to it.

Just to be clear, if there was going to be 'strippers read to children' there would need to be a rational justification for it. The drag queen story thing is ostensibly to show kids that people can be different and be positive about their lives and their communities. Again, there is nothing automatically inappropriate about being a drag queen. If there's some value in it and that's the message, I don't see why it's necessarily a bad thing. Let the library patrons decide if they want to go or not.

Bwwwwaaahhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

I guarantee more children have been abused by priests than drag queens. Should we ban religious organisations from ministering to children?

Just to be clear, if there was going to be 'strippers read to children' there would need to be a rational justification for it.

I guess we could use the justification that is, "to show kids that people can be different and be positive about their lives and their communities." And that, "there is nothing automatically inappropriate about being a [stripper]."

Just to be clear, if there was going to be 'strippers read to children' there would need to be a rational justification for it. The drag queen story thing is ostensibly to show kids that people can be different and be positive about their lives and their communities. Again, there is nothing automatically inappropriate about being a drag queen. If there's some value in it and that's the message, I don't see why it's necessarily a bad thing. Let the library patrons decide if they want to go or not.

At least you are not pretending that these are just people who want to read to children and that they just happen to be drag queens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom