Drayton Florence is NOT the answer (1 Viewer)

Tebucky has legit sub 4.4 speed, has great size 6'2" 220lbs, is young (28) and at worst comes in and gives us excellent depth and a legit Safety to play along side Jay Bellamy .

Doesn't make him any good.....:dunno:

You can't even beging to compare Tebucky Jones to Florence. Florence has been a good NFL corner for a while now. He has started and done well in the league.

Like I said, you go into the off season addressing needs. Florence fills one of those needs. They might end up drafting another CB, but signing a veteran like Florence definitly doesn't hurt.

Here in lies my point- if there's no one better out there, why throw a lot of money at him? Just to say you signed someone? I'm sure there will be atleast a half dozen teams out there interested in him, so it's not like we're going to get him cheap. I can assure you he'll cost more than Jason David did last season. Like I said before, I'd much rather Usama Young at 500k/year than Drayton Florence at 4.5-5.5 million/year. I wouln't be opposed to swapping 1st Round picks with Seattle in exchange for a Franchised Trufant. That or a second rounder straight up. We do have some Seattle ties so it wouldn't be totally out of the realm of possibilities.

I do agree that getting a guy like Sedrick Ellis would be huge for our pass rush. That's been part of the reason Grant and Smith have been so seemingly ineffective. With no one to collapse the pocket the QB can sit back or step up at will instead of being flushed outside where he's be more prone to getting chased down by Grant/Smith. I just don't see Ellis being there, especially after Malcom Jenkins and Little Animal returning to school.

IF seattle was willing to make this deal that would be the best way to up grade our secondary. whats funny is that we had a chance to draft this guy. but everyone was screaming dt, the secondary is in worse shape and everyone is still screaming about trading up for a dt, i guess bad habits are hard to break:dunno:

You can't even beging to compare Tebucky Jones to Florence. Florence has been a good NFL corner for a while now. He has started and done well in the league.

Like I said, you go into the off season addressing needs. Florence fills one of those needs. They might end up drafting another CB, but signing a veteran like Florence definitly doesn't hurt.

thats not true, he had an ok season once but the bolts have a mean passrush. even still they drafted cormartie to replace him, if he was that good they would keep him dont you think? i mean who lets go of a good young talent?

woah looking in the chargers forum

their calling for Florence and Mcree's head

lets stay clear

we don't want another jason david on our hands

Tebucky Jones started for the Patriots also and on their Super Bowl squad...

Tebucky the year before we traded for him:

14 g - 55 tackles - 6 PD - 2 sacks - 2 FF - 1 INT

Florence's stats from this year:

16 g - 62 tackles - 10 PD - 0 sacks - 0 FF - 2 INT

Yes it does. Unless you don't believe overpaying and ruining your cap doesn't quality as "hurting" your team.

thats not true, he had an ok season once but the bolts have a mean passrush. even still they drafted cormartie to replace him, if he was that good they would keep him dont you think? i mean who lets go of a good young talent?

Yeah but he was the best available. That year Cromartie was damaged goods coming out of FSU. He was a stud b4 his injury(ACL or MCL) which drop his stock. He was a gamble but he was what we talk on this board all the time BPA. They could have kept Brees if that was the case. The talk out of SD is they miss Brees big time. Every team lets go of talent it is a business and it is all about what have u done for me lately. You can always be replaced SOME PLAYERS and etc.With Florence his agents is telling him that he can get a nice payday because of the lack of cb's. I think that SD wouldn't mind having him back as a nickel, but he can get starter money on the market.

Yeah, let's just not try to improve anything ever. We'll keep these exact same guys, trade away our next 10 drafts for some new Nikes, and watch the magic work itself.

Here in lies my point- if there's no one better out there, why throw a lot of money at him? Just to say you signed someone? I'm sure there will be atleast a half dozen teams out there interested in him, so it's not like we're going to get him cheap. I can assure you he'll cost more than Jason David did last season. Like I said before, I'd much rather Usama Young at 500k/year than Drayton Florence at 4.5-5.5 million/year. I wouln't be opposed to swapping 1st Round picks with Seattle in exchange for a Franchised Trufant. That or a second rounder straight up. We do have some Seattle ties so it wouldn't be totally out of the realm of possibilities.

I do agree that getting a guy like Sedrick Ellis would be huge for our pass rush. That's been part of the reason Grant and Smith have been so seemingly ineffective. With no one to collapse the pocket the QB can sit back or step up at will instead of being flushed outside where he's be more prone to getting chased down by Grant/Smith. I just don't see Ellis being there, especially after Malcom Jenkins and Little Animal returning to school.

I'm not sure that Ellis will be their either. I really hope he is.

As for Florence, I'm not saying break the bank for him, but if we can get him for anywhere near Jason David money, I think it's worth a shot given the other options.

Anway, if not Florence, what should we do, if we assume we can't sign or trade for any of the top 3 FA CB's?

I don't want to reach for one in the draft, but I would not be opposed to signing Florence and then trading down in the first if either Ellis, Rivers or Dorsey are not there and taking a CB at a value spot. I think the signing of Florence is necessary since I'm not sure any of the CB's we get later would be ready to start.

Tebucky Jones started for the Patriots also and on their Super Bowl squad...

Tebucky the year before we traded for him:

14 g - 55 tackles - 6 PD - 2 sacks - 2 FF - 1 INT

Florence's stats from this year:

16 g - 62 tackles - 10 PD - 0 sacks - 0 FF - 2 INT

Yes it does. Unless you don't believe overpaying and ruining your cap doesn't quality as "hurting" your team.

Your comparing a safety to a corner. What you're not mentioning is that Florence has averaged double digit pass deflections for the past 3 years, that says a lot too.

And how are you going to put yourself in cap trouble. Its very unlikely he gets a contract that averages more than about 5-6 million per year (about what Rod Hood got). It's not like you're giving him Nate Clements money.

You know, I get tired of all these so called cap experts. ITS NOT YOUR MONEY! Mickey Loomis is great at managing the cap. We go into the offseason with about 33 million in cap space. Resigning ALL our free agents and soon to be free agents will only cost us about 15-18 million in cap space (we need about 4 million for our rookies). So that leaves us somewhere in the 12 million range. Even then, you could viably sign Lance Briggs, Drayton Florence and SEVERAL other mid-tier free agents and still have money left.

Does Drayton Florence make this team better. The clear cut answer is YES. Assuming that Trufant re-signs, assuming that Asomugha is tagged, and assuming that Samuels gets Nate Clements type money (pricing him out of the bidding), Florence is the next best option. Like I said, Jason David is our #1 CB going into the offseason, thats bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom