Dream Killer - Netflix documentary (1 Viewer)

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
After hearing Ryan Ferguson tell the short version of his story on last week's premiere episode of "The Amazing Race," my wife and I watched the documentary about him on Netflix. It was maddening to watch, and horrifying to see how easy it is for a prosecutor to put someone in jail.

Super super short version:

--A newspaper reporter was murdered on Halloween night in the parking lot of the paper.
--About 2 years later, a 911 call identified someone as being the murderer.
--Police arrest the individual, and question him. The video recording of the interview shows that he did not know anything about the crime, and clearly shows investigators spoon feeding him details.
--The individual claimed that he had been on drugs and alcohol, and he doesn't know if he is remembering things or if he dreamt them.
--The individual claimed that he hit the victim with a crowbar, and that Ryan Ferguson killed the man.
--Physical evidence at the crime scene included fingerprints that belonged to neither of the two individuals, and a hair on the body that didn't belong to either individual
--At trial, the only "evidence" that Ferguson committed the murder was the testimony of the individual arrested (who took a plea deal, and who suddenly remembered everything that happened), and two eyewitnesses (only one of which actually identified Ferguson during the trial).
--The jury convicts Ryan of murder and robbery, and sentences him to 40 years in jail.

The documentary breezes through a lot of this, and focuses on Ryan's dad spending the next 10 years trying to clear his son's name. I know that a lot of documentaries have an agenda, and can't be trusted to be 100% fair, but in this case it is clear that the prosecutor committed serious misconduct (including having exculpatory evidence that he did not provide to the defense), and that there is no doubt that Ryan is innocent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom