Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons and the other top 5 songs by them, not necessarily in that order (1 Viewer)

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic/ghost
Reaction score
"
A dream that only drowned me
Deep in sorrow, wondering why
Oh come let us adore him
Abuse and then ignore him
No matter what, don't let him be
Let's feed upon his misery
Then string him up for all the world to see
I'm sick of all you hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need your sympathy
To get me through the day
Seasons change and so can I
Hold on Boy, No time to cry
Untie these strings, I'm climbing down
I won't let them push me away
Oh come let us adore him
Now it's time for them to deal with me"

This song is AWESOME! I know it's long but Dream Theater's long songs are wonderful. Not a bad one among them. The lyrical part I quoted is about 14 minutes 30 seconds into the song

My favorite band growing up.
I miss Portnoy for songs like this.

Also - I love all the tie-ins with Dead Poets Society.

"
A dream that only drowned me
Deep in sorrow, wondering why
Oh come let us adore him
Then string him up for all the world to see
I'm sick of all you hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need your sympathy
To get me through the day
Seasons change and so can I
Hold on Boy, No time to cry
Untie these strings, I'm climbing down
I won't let them push me away
Oh come let us adore him
Now it's time for them to deal with me"

This song is AWESOME! I know it's long but Dream Theater's long songs are wonderful. Not a bad one among them. The lyrical part I quoted is about 14 minutes 30 seconds into the song

That section of lyrics is one of my all time favorites. The imagery that Portnoy used in that song was outstanding.

My favorite band growing up.
I miss Portnoy for songs like this.

Also - I love all the tie-ins with Dead Poets Society.
The band just doesn't have the same feel with Mangini as it did with Portnoy. I miss that lineup.

The band just doesn't have the same feel with Mangini as it did with Portnoy. I miss that lineup.

I think Mangini is better. In fact do you know who Portnoy's favorite drummer is? It's Mangini. Mangini practiced for two years the Bruce Lee 2 inch punch. He says people don't realize how hard he hits because of that.

Not to re-direct thread as ACOS and Awake were what made me buy a 7-string :LOL:
buuuuut, I really like Mangini as a person and he is a monster drummer.
That said, Dream Theater was Portnoy's baby and he was absolutely right in saying they needed to take a hiatus.

Octavarium and onwards have cool moments here and there, but are really un-inspired.
They are very much going through the motions now.
The new album is trending in the right direction, but for me it's nothing that jumps out and slaps me like Images and Words thru Six Degrees.

Just my opinion though, I would never down anyone that still likes the band and what they do. I'm just burnt out personally.

Not to re-direct thread as ACOS and Awake were what made me buy a 7-string :LOL:
buuuuut, I really like Mangini as a person and he is a monster drummer.
That said, Dream Theater was Portnoy's baby and he was absolutely right in saying they needed to take a hiatus.

Octavarium and onwards have cool moments here and there, but are really un-inspired.
They are very much going through the motions now.
The new album is trending in the right direction, but for me it's nothing that jumps out and slaps me like Images and Words thru Six Degrees.

Just my opinion though, I would never down anyone that still likes the band and what they do. I'm just burnt out personally.

See that's where we disagree. I believe The Astonishing is their best album. Black Clouds and Silver Linings is their 5th best album. It also has their best song in The Count of Tuscany. Did you know that the song is a true story?

See that's where we disagree. I believe The Astonishing is their best album. Black Clouds and Silver Linings is their 5th best album. It also has their best song in The Count of Tuscany. Did you know that the song is a true story?

Different strokes, that's what I always loved about the band. They seem to offer something for everyone.

There's only one other possibility for the top 5, can anyone guess it? Edit: I'll help and eliminate one possibility. Both parts of In The Presence Of Enemies would be the 6th best song.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom