Dream Theater - The Elite (best songs by them according to Scorpius, not in order) (1 Viewer)

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic/ghost
Reaction score
This is not meant to be in order but it is a collection of songs that would be in that order but flows if you know what I mean. Before I start, two songs technically are 10 songs, you'll understand in a moment.
So this is my favorite opening song by them. I do consider both parts to be one song so that's towards what i said just before this. Also, part 2 is NOT next. That also works toward the flow I mentioned
This song is their best song. If I was doing the best of in order this would kick it off. Plus it's a true story
This song is in my top 3, really it's probably number 2. It was supposed to be on their second album Images and Words but the record company said no way
This might be the 3rd in my top 3. I'm using the live version because it is far superior because of Petrucci's solo. Is it me or does his solo sound like a guitar version of the album's version which doesn't feature a guitar?
Again I'm using a live version but also some may consider the Live at Budokan version to be better but I prefer the opening here so that's the one I went with. If you were to take this opening and add it to Budokan than I'd be a fan of that

Last edited:

Technically I use a live version of this song but it's not on youtube so I'm rolling with the album version. This song is probably in my top 4. I definitely LOVE the guitar solo here, top 3 guitar solo by DT. This song is fantasic. I'm not using the live version only because it doesn't include the ending. When it sounds like it's over it isn't, there are about 30 seconds or so of silence and about 1-2 minutes of an outro. That outro is a part of the flow I mentioned and it leads into the second part of a song already played... The song was originally conceived as a whole song but because it was so long they decided to cut it into two. They also had the first part lead perfectly into both the second song on the album and part 2 of presence which closes the album. I normally listen to both as one. The best song from the first album without Mike Portnoy their drummer. Petrucci said the drum parts were written already before signing Mike Mangini. I don't know how that works, does that mean Portnoy contributed to the album? This song should round out the top 5. I'm including the live version because there is a part to where the lyrics are a combination of many different songs not by them that flows perfectly and it shows the screen with reference pictures to explain the sources. You'll see. It starts at 17:25.

Last edited:
So this is technically one song but it's in 8 parts which rounds out the 2 for 10 that I mentioned in the beginning. It's almost better than Scenes From A Memory on its own. So this song is the last song on my The Elite. I had to include it because I couldn't decide between it and Breaking All Illusions so this is the 11th song. I'm including the live version because of the added guitar solo at the end. What started as a simple idea turned into a 30 minute project complete with commentary. I hope you enjoyed this journey, these songs literally add up to 2-4 hours easy.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that the song In The Presence of Enemies is based off of a Korean comic called Priest. The opening line is almost verbatim from the opening line in the comic, and a character says in the presence of my enemies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom