Drew’s decision could be coming within the next month [Merged] (1 Viewer)

For Saints quarterback Drew Brees, the decision is simple: Play for the Saints in 2020, or retire.

On Saturday, the timetable for making the decision became a bit more clear.

“I’m really waiting until football is totally done,” Brees said Saturday from the Pro Bowl, via Amie Just of NOLA.com. “Obviously being here, I’m just very much focused on my family and this opportunity to be around the guys, playing the game.

“Then, I’ll kind of lay low for a little bit, get away and then assess. I kind of have a process in mind. And I’ll give it a month or so.”

Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis has said that the team wants him to continue. The presence of restricted free agent Taysom Hill complicates things, however. Hill, who turns 30 this year, has become a potent weapon on offense, arguably the best player on the field when the Saints lost to the Vikings three weeks ago. The Saints, on one hand, would surely like to keep Brees for as long as they can. On the other hand, they surely don’t want to risk losing Hill to a team that isn’t already paying $20 million or more for a starter.

Would Brees accept a role that is a click or two closer to part time, accepting more and more reps and opportunities for Hill in what would become a sort-of transition year? It’s possible that the Saints both want Brees and want to keep Hill, not simply for cameo appearances and special teams.

Last edited:
I read that article yesterday, before seeing this thread. When I read it, I thought at the time it sounded like Drew is going to retire. So you're saying he will return in a part-time role, Swimmer? What does that mean? Mentor whoever the starting QB is throughout the season and be ready in an emergency role if the starter goes down? Alternate series with the "starter"?

Last edited:
I'm cool with that, IF and only IF... SP thinks he's the guy. I'm not down for taking a chance on a QB early. I'd rather Teddy or Taysom groom the next guy than to draft a just a guy. Luckily, I whole-heartedly believe that SP and ML feel the same way.

Teddy isn’t even on this team as of yet and I’m not for putting all my eggs in the basket of a 30yr old Taysom, whose role has been gadget guy thus far.

Take a QB and give yourself multiple bites at the Apple.

Last edited:
Yeah, whatever the Vegas odds are, I'd be betting on Brees coming back.

I think Brees returns and we do indeed see a lot more Hill under center...a transition year, just as they describe.

2020, IMO, will without a doubt be Brees' fairwell tour season.

Teddy isn’t even on this team as of yet and I’m not for putting all my eggs in the basket of a 30yr old Taysom, whose role has been gadget guy thus far.

Take a QB and give yourself multiple bites at the Apple.

I get that Teddy's not on the team, and No, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and hand them to a 30 year old "never-been-starter" QB. I'm just not keen on using a first round pick on a QB unless he actually has a good chance of becoming the guy.

I get that Teddy's not on the team, and No, I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and hand them to a 30 year old "never-been-starter" QB. I'm just not keen on using a first round pick on a QB unless he actually has a good chance of becoming the guy.
My concern will be "when". If Brees come back (all likely he will) probably winning 13 games and be at the bottom of the draft numbers again. By that time all the good prospect will be taken.

My concern will be "when". If Brees come back (all likely he will) probably winning 13 games and be at the bottom of the draft numbers again. By that time all the good prospect will be taken.

I have no problem taking at QB at #24 this year or #32 next year. I just don't want to reach for a guy. There's been 2 QBs that were reportedly "almost" drafted by us in the past few seasons. Patrick Mahommes and Lamar Jackson. Both have turned out to be winners. Mahommes would've been drafted at #11 and Jackson at #31. Heck, I have no problem taking one with our 3rd round pick. I just hope that if we do, it's someone that SP feels strongly about, like he evidently did with those two. And I'm sure that will be the case.

I have no problem taking at QB at #24 this year or #32 next year. I just don't want to reach for a guy. There's been 2 QBs that were reportedly "almost" drafted by us in the past few seasons. Patrick Mahommes and Lamar Jackson. Both have turned out to be winners. Mahommes would've been drafted at #11 and Jackson at #31. Heck, I have no problem taking one with our 3rd round pick. I just hope that if we do, it's someone that SP feels strongly about, like he evidently did with those two. And I'm sure that will be the case.
He also felt strongly about Garrett Grayson back then. Gave him all the opportunity to succeed, or at least be a back up. Still...Mahommes was someone I feel sick about because I sort of wanted him then. Wasn't too sure of how he turn out but he turn out great. But he was one of the top prospect that year and we were in that range to be able to get him. With Jackson...Still not a fan and wouldn't be thrilled if we did draft him. But right now we are too far down the numbers and I don't see good prospect when it is our turn to pick. But we will see.

As the old saying goes - if you are thinking hard about retiring then you already have.....
I’m getting that feeling big time too.

aside from that,
I can’t see in any way that Hill would be transitioning into a starting QB role. The Saints need someone else for that right now. Hill is way way to valuable on special teams, and on multiple O positions to havd him start at Q. As of right now he Is our most dangerous weapon next to CGM

He also felt strongly about Garrett Grayson back then. Gave him all the opportunity to succeed, or at least be a back up. Still...Mahommes was someone I feel sick about because I sort of wanted him then. Wasn't too sure of how he turn out but he turn out great. But he was one of the top prospect that year and we were in that range to be able to get him. With Jackson...Still not a fan and wouldn't be thrilled if we did draft him. But right now we are too far down the numbers and I don't see good prospect when it is our turn to pick. But we will see.

One thing about Lamar Jackson... if we'd have taken him, I'd imagine the "we should run more" crowd would've eventually been tickled. I do not think we would've ditched Drew for Lamar like the Ravens did with Flacco, but I can definitely imagine us using THREE QBs. To some degree, we' have Drew and 2 Taysoms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom