Drew’s timeline.... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I might have missed this......but is there a date when someone has to commit to playing or retiring.....before their contract starts for 21-22 season?

He doesn't have roster or workout bonuses so there aren't any real deadlines. He renegotiated his salary to 1 mil, so that's all he stands to pocket this year if he plays. He has a ton of already paid dead money to account for though. Expect him to officially be a June 1st cut but he can announce before then (unless Godell digs up some crazy loophole). There is nothing contractually that forces a certain date for his announcement that I'm aware of.

Not really...Drew is technically under contract for next season if I'm not mistaken. If/When he retires the Saints will place him on the Reserve/Retired List. So if he changes his mind it will be up to the Saints if they want to play him, release him or trade him.

He doesn’t owe us an announcement for sure, but I’d expect Mickey and Sean know exactly what’s up in case they need plan for a new field general

yea Im pretty sure everything they said last year indicates that plan A is for him to retire and that is how they have strategized everything. If he changes his mind that would be the only adjusting they have to do.

I think he has waited to separate the memory of his last game and announcing his retirement. I think it will happen next week.

IMO he needs to retire and the Saints need to move on and find our QB of the future. I don't need him to prove he can't stay healthy for 3 years in a row, there is no guarantee he would be healthy by the start of the season anyways with all of his injuries. Retire, get well, TV money and enjoy your family Drew....Thanks for everything....

Hope he schedules a press conference for Monday and let’s everyone know he’s retiring. It’ll be March 1 and not much in NFL news besides 2 QBs wanting out of there teams. Would give the saints the opportunity to officially throw their hat in for the Wilson/Watson sweepstakes. Or resign Winston. Hopefully our next starting QB name starts with a W.

remember when drew would do the 'sneak' by leaping high in the air and getting the ball over the goal line? i want to see that at least one more time.
We did and he came up short. I think it was the first time he's every tried that and not made it. It's time for the GOAT in Saints history to hang up the cleats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom