Drew addresses Trump (1 Viewer)

Do you reall think now that the kneeling has brought the issues to the forefront, further kneeling will do any good. If the black players came out now and said we are encouraged enough by the dialogue brought forth esp and including the commissioner and Drew Brees among others, we no longer feel the need to use that particular forum of the anthem to make our point. Instead we’d like to stand with all to show unity moving forward to solutions and to show respect for those of all colors who have served and continue to serve. Wouldn’t that gesture maybe get more people under the umbrella to help vs discouraging the half of country that see the kneeling as disrespect.
I would think at this point it’s all about recruiting more to the movement, not limiting the prospects.

Last edited:
Do you reall think now that the kneeling has brought the issues to the forefront, further kneeling will do any good. If the black players came out now and said we are encouraged enough by the dialogue brought forth esp and including the commissioner and Drew Brees among others, we no longer feel the need to use that particular forum of the anthem to make our point. Instead we’d like to stand with all to show unity moving forward to solutions and to show respect for those of all colors who have served and continue to serve. Wouldn’t that gesture maybe get more people under the umbrella to help vs discouraging the half of country that see the kneeling as disrespect.
I would think at this point it’s all about recruiting more to the movement, not limiting the prospects.

speaking only for myself, I’d take issue with at least a couple of things.

if the kneeling is meant to highlight a problem, then why stop until the problem is solved or there’s Been progress?

I think a regular reminder is a good thing. Especially the more we see that police abuse is an issue. And there’s always new stories.

Secondly, if you’re not on board because some players are kneeling - if that is so odious to someone - then how sincere or hardworking can one be if something like that is going to be a dealbreaker?

I feel like enough accommodations have been made and if some uncomfortable white person (presumably) isn’t going to join until Blacks meet the demand or expectation to stand up, then I’m not sure how cut out for the cause he or she is in the first place

it would seem to me possible, if not likely, that they have missed the message in the first place.

Great point. You should be the movement against abuse of police power to the black communities spokesperson. Or at least have some influence into their leadership. I posted this on another thread.

Righting the wrong that is abuse of police power, unfortunately, continues to get lost in this. Going back to Kaepernick, he brought attention to a very real issue. I said it then and continue to say that. Righting this abuse of power has to be corrected - for all those abused by the police. I just wish a different platform would have been adopted by now to silence those who continue to misunderstand (truly misunderstand, or choose to only to say they do). I feel that a lot of energy has been wasted to clarify the message vs' focusing on ridding the country of this abuse of police power.

I get this argument and totally reapect everyone’s right to free speech (I too fought for it), but it disrespects the memory of fallen heroes who died to protect those rights. (At least to me). Why cant we find another platform that is not so controversial... why cant we respect MY views and those like me and still attain the same goal?

This is only my opinion, but here goes.

I agree. I think we all should care about the opinions of others as long as they're reasonable. And I don't find your opinion regarding the flag to be unreasonable or illogical though I do disagree. I don't think anyone should take lightly the fact that a protest during the anthem hurts you or seems to you as a disrespectful act towards you and the sacrifices of others who've fought to defend us.

I wish they had found a better way to protest.

But they didn't. Right or wrong they made their decision and their protest is valid. The mistreatment of blacks in this country has been going on for 400 years and while it's gotten better, it's still unacceptable. Nothing seems to have closed the gap between those of us who are white and black as far as treatment under the law and opportunity. Simply put, I as a white man of some privilege have been born on 2nd base while the black kid from around the corner was born peeping through the slats in the outfield fence.

Maybe they should have chosen another way. I wish they had, but they didn't. Now, it's up to you. If you find their cause to be a valid and moral cause which you sure as hell ought to, then you need to suck up your own emotions and take their word that they're not intending to insult you. Live with it. Accept the pain it might have caused as the price we have to pay as a society to be forced to understand their plight and that we have to do something about it.

Now.

They won't admit it but they want to tick you off. If it didn't bother anyone they wouldn't do it.

Do you remember the old joke about the cowboy and the mule?

You know, the one about the 2x4?

Maybe. Perhaps that's what Goodell's endgame is as he says the NFL was wrong about the protests.

Even if the 2 or 3 protestors who have continued didn't stop, the NFL sure as hell could step up and make this their primary cause and do some good. If that were to pass then think how successful these protests would have been.

And, think how many hateful, racists who have been complaining about the protests rather than accepting the statements from Kap and others as truth will have to find a new reason to object to social justice issues.

(didn't you start a thread about this?)
you're acting like the players should feel like they can hang a big "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign up
this isn't a finish line, they just found out that it might be ok to walk up to the starting line

(didn't you start a thread about this?)
you're acting like the players should feel like they can hang a big "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign up
this isn't a finish line, they just found out that it might be ok to walk up to the starting line
I get you but being inclusive at this point might bring more success than not. Seriously, I am ex military who tended to think like Brees, but like him, my eyes are now open to the real cause and I am ready to look for any opportunity to help. I think a lot of others would be more apt to help also if the anthem becomes a unifying event going forward.

speaking only for myself, I’d take issue with at least a couple of things.

if the kneeling is meant to highlight a problem, then why stop until the problem is solved or there’s Been progress?

I think a regular reminder is a good thing. Especially the more we see that police abuse is an issue. And there’s always new stories.

Secondly, if you’re not on board because some players are kneeling - if that is so odious to someone - then how sincere or hardworking can one be if something like that is going to be a dealbreaker?

I feel like enough accommodations have been made and if some uncomfortable white person (presumably) isn’t going to join until Blacks meet the demand or expectation to stand up, then I’m not sure how cut out for the cause he or she is in the first place

it would seem to me possible, if not likely, that they have missed the message in the first place.

And I think this is pretty much where the Brees family has landed on this as well, given Brittany Brees’ recent statement.

They weren’t racist themselves and they “checked some boxes” (her words), but have now realized that they weren’t really listening to the plights of black Americans or as committed to the cause as they thought they were.

She admits that they missed the message before but they genuinely seem committed to being better, whether NFL players kneel this season or not.

I get you but being inclusive at this point might bring more success than not. Seriously, I am ex military who tended to think like Brees, but like him, my eyes are now open to the real cause and I am ready to look for any opportunity to help. I think a lot of others would be more apt to help also if the anthem becomes a unifying event going forward.
Can you think of other times when protesters have reined themselves in and the general public rewarded them with granted wishes?
I can’t

We got 40hr work week & minimum wage bc labor kept applying pressure
Women got sufferage bc they kept applying pressure
Gays got marriage right bc they kept applying pressure MLK got equitable busing bc he kept applying pressure

Plus the lead up to all of those successes has plenty of examples of let up and return to status quo before ultimate successes

So no, I think the players realize it is WAY too early to ‘stand in unity ‘

Totally got bullied, he's such a good guy I didn't see any other outcome for him. I guess we can forget brees ever having much to do with new Orleans after retirement. I'll just enjoy him for 1 maybe 2 more seasons then.
Well, he does live in San Diego in the offseason.

You know what would make the anthem protest a unifying event going forward, as you put it?

If you and Brees and people like me who changed their mind 3 years ago were to join in and then actually do something about it.

You know like removing the lack of accountability for police officers and rethinking some of our policing strategies? Maybe ending mandatory minimums and do some reflection on exactly why powdered cocaine for white folks garners less than 1/4 the penalty that crack does. Maybe stop saying and thinking stupid things like "if they cared about black lives why don't THEY fix it"

Last edited:
To be quite honest with you, I was leery at first with Kaep's kneeling... but Trump's insistence of "SOB" and owners should say "You're fired", I changed the way I thought about the protest (not about the goaL, but about the method).

Here is the bottom line for me... is that particular method of protest important? I believe it is somewhat important. Is the cause ultimately much more important than the method? Absolutely!

If anyone truly cares about the cause, the method of protest wouldn't matter. If you're hungry enough, it won't matter if your food is served to you on a silver platter or in a paper bag.

If anyone still has issues about the flag, anthem, disrespect - whatever, then you don't want to help. You don't want to be a part of the solution. So just say that and save yourself some time. Say it. Own it.

I have no problem saying that I don't give a damn about that flag or that song. I don't care who feels disrespected, I haven't stood for that anthem in over 20 years. It means nothing to me. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nothing.

So if the cause doesn't matter to you, so be it. But all that, "I would support it IF..." bullcrap is for the birds. Save your silly excuses.

At the very least, be transparent so these poor souls on here who have typed their fingers to the bone trying to get through to you will realize they're wasting their time.

This is what has confused me as well. How could he have done a 360 overnight? I mean, I get if it was simply an emotional thing for him, but if he truly believes people should only put their hand over their hearts and stand when America's anthem is played, then I would like him to have the wherewithal to stand by his conviction.

I don't know. It seems like he realized he was under a ton of heat and wanted to alleviate it as quick as he could. I think Drew is a great person, so I really do hope it was just one of those light going off things, but for someone in his 40's and with a lifetime of knowledge, is that possible, at least that quickly? I guess we will never know.
The first few "apologies" from Drew were vague sentiments of pro interracial relations and were rubbish. They were quite generic and didn't really say much at all. However the big response to Trump on Twitter was quite significant and I have no reason to doubt its sincerity. he flat out said the kneeling wasn't about the flag or the military, which is the exact opposite of his original statement last week. To say he was just saying what the people wanted to hear, would essentially be to say Drew Brees lied. If there's one thing Drew has been all week it's being 100% honest.

the original sentiment is worth asking, how could he change his mind so drastically in 2-3 days? Simple. He has a lot of high-profile friends in the NFL who talked with him. He was open minded to them and listened because of that. and the conclusion he came to was seeing things from his friends' perspectives which was understanding what the anthem protest was about and why it was done the way it was. If more people would be as open-minded to listen as Drew Brees was, this world would be a much better place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom