Drew addresses Trump (1 Viewer)

Drew Brees posed with his family and President Trump at the College National Championship Game. That means he has met the man at least once and has some degree of inner circle access not available to the average person. Both men have global reach platforms in social media. Brees' week of flag tone deafness, to total media and teammate backlash, to statement and video apologies the following day, to the President of the United States of America directly admonishing Brees' step back and reasserting the flag fetishism Brees originally displayed. Brees just directly tweeted to President Trump and told Trump he is wrong and focused on the real issues of "systemic racial injustice, economic oppression, police brutality, and judicial & prison reform." That takes leadership to rebuke that inner circle in a way that signals a sort of calling out the naked emperor moment for tonedeaf people to wake up. I hope Brees continues to stay active in directing his abundant philanthropy to now address some of those "real issues." Brees' original comments hurt me on a human level of knowing people would listen to his point of view and continue to spread that intellectually dishonest narrative about why Kaepernick knelt. Now the NFL has admitted it was wrong and Trump gets put in his place. Neither of those things likely happen with out Brees' original faux paux. It sounds like Brees took it as a moment of reflection and learning and I commend him for that level of maturity and leadership. I can understand if people are angry at Brees for what he originally said. But what more could he possibly do? To me this isn't about Brees donating to some cause he could do that all day and it not mean as much as being human and putting something at risk. Do you know how many people that support Trump are fans of his that he risks losing in telling Trump he is wrong on this? That is taking a stand and setting an example that his apology and change of heart is genuine to me and I think anyone still P'Oed at Drew at this point is holding him to an unfair standard.
So you only forgave Drew because he put Trump in his place? His apologies only became sincere when he took on Trump? Posts like this make me wonder if the social justice movement is a real thing.

So you only forgave Drew because he put Trump in his place? His apologies only became sincere when he took on Trump? Posts like this make me wonder if the social justice movement is a real thing.

Why don't you ask the man in your avatar and the man whose number you took as your user name what he thinks about this? You treat him as a hero there, but you won't fully support his right to feel safe from police brutality and racial targeting?

He's good enough to entertain you, but not good enough to get justice and equal rights?

It does give weight when he calls out the President when tries to tie him into his stances.

Why don't you ask the man in your avatar and the man whose number you took as your user name what he thinks about this? You treat him as a hero there, but you won't fully support his right to feel safe from police brutality and racial targeting?

He's good enough to entertain you, but not good enough to get justice and equal rights?
I challenge you to find a single quote of mine in over 4,000 posts on this site that suggests I don’t support anyone’s right to feel safe from police brutality. I certainly said nothing like that in the one post you quoted. But when a man apologizes twice for his comments, and people don’t accept them until he rebukes the president they so clearly hate, I’m gonna call out the sincerity of their convictions.

I challenge you to find a single quote of mine in over 4,000 posts on this site that suggests I don’t support anyone’s right to feel safe from police brutality. I certainly said nothing like that in the one post you quoted. But when a man apologizes twice for his comments, and people don’t accept them until he rebukes the president they so clearly hate, I’m gonna call out the sincerity of their convictions.
When "actions speak louder than words"... How many actions others than confronting THE President can be any louder? Their convictions have 100% been "SHOW ME"

Let that sheet sink in for a while. You can "apologize" to someone over and over for something you did, but until you show them you're contrition. Words are only words.

How can it not be disrespectful to the flag? Im apparently not smart enough to understand... can someone break this down for me?
Easy,look up the Articles of the flag, I guarantee you will not find anywhere that it says kneeling is disrespecting the flag. What it does say is you can’t where the flag is clothing and you can’t have the flag print it out and throw away materials like paper plates and cups. just around the corner is the Fourth of July, Count how many times you see people disrespecting the flag on that day, how outraged will you be?

I took a break from this forum today because so many disturbing events have happened lately and I was drained from it. I heard about Trump's statement about Brees should not have apologized yesterday. This morning I was thinking how Brees is now getting it from those that opposed the kneeling protests AND those that supported them.

I didn't expect that response from him, but not at all surprised. That tweet benefitted the cause more than anything else he could have done. Some will say he's pandering to untarnish his reputation, but that goes against anything he's displayed in his career. He's a good man. The players that he reached out to are accepting his actions as sincere. That says a lot.

Last edited:

This whole incident with George Floyd has turned from racism and police brutality to remove trump from office. It's starting to look like a coup.

All is good in the world tonight. Lord knows something will screw it up tomorrow...

Well we had a dude drive through our Target in Hammond and drop off a suspicious package there and two other locations prior to that. People were thinking we had an active shooter.

All is good in the world tonight. Lord knows something will screw it up tomorrow...

I caught a 7# trout off my dock half an hour ago in front of 2 guys in kayaks. Now, I'm going to have a celebratory beer and take a nap.

Hopefully there are no hornets in my bed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom