Drew Brees 4th Down Leap (1 Viewer)

That’s not how it works. You aren’t down until you are touched by defense or give yourself up.

You are correct. But, the way I think the Refs see it, Drew "gives himself up" when he starts to yank the football back after pushing it "forward" so that's his forward progress.

You would be correct.

He's never done that in the middle of the field, only in goal line situations. So to the OP, this is the only time he done this for a first down. Otherwise it's always been for a TD.

I did wonder how he would be with that type of play with his thumb. Seemed confident.

He did it against the Lions in the playoffs in 2011. At the 5 min mark:

And he always tucks the ball in every time, even when he's not at the goal line. Makes me nervous. Id just give the ball to Murray or Line if it's not at the goal line.

It's literally the most effective play in Payton's offense.

I think its only been stopped once or twice in Drew's entire time here, at least that I can remember.

Not if you voluntarily bring the ball back. Just like if you catch a ball past the 1st down marker but run back behind it trying to break it for a bigger play. Forward progress only works for plays where the defense pushes you backwards.

That play works on the goal line because as soon as it crosses the plain the play is over, nothing matters afterwards.
So why does it count when a player going out of bounds stretches his arm out to extend the ball past the first down marker then tuck it back in as he tumbled out of bounds. Why does the official marknthe ball where he stretched it to?

Why does this play still exist? Sooner or later, one of two things is going to happen:

A) A defender is going to knock the ball out of Drew's hands.
B) The refs are going to rule (correctly) that breaking the plane of the first down line does not equate to a first down, and the ball will be spotted where Drew is actually downed.

NOTE: I'm not saying that Drew did not end up getting the first down, but I'm saying that his leap and reach doesn't automatically make it a first down.
Brees has done this technique several times. Brady as well. He is actually very good at it. Notice how he pulls the ball back quickly? I've never seen Brees drive low. Probably because that is a real good way to get injured; as Mahomes now knows.

He did it against the Lions in the playoffs in 2011. At the 5 min mark:

And he always tucks the ball in every time, even when he's not at the goal line. Makes me nervous. Id just give the ball to Murray or Line if it's not at the goal line.

I stand corrected. Good find.

Preposterous that in 2019 -- the year of Blade Runner and flying cars -- that the ball isn't chipped and that goal lines and FD markers aren't wired for precise telemetry.

Instead, let's use linked chain and striped jerseys, b/c they're so accurate. :jpshakehead:

So why does it count when a player going out of bounds stretches his arm out to extend the ball past the first down marker then tuck it back in as he tumbled out of bounds. Why does the official marknthe ball where he stretched it to?

Because in that case, the player is actually downed (and the play is over) when he steps out of bounds, so the ball should be placed at the spot it was when the play ended.

In the case of Drew's leap, he isn't down until either a player holds him to prevent his forward progress, or he is touched down.

I am shocked more teams dont use this play Brees has this play perfected and we dont use it often enough for them to be ready for it, mainly because we normally just use it for those goal line plays for the TD

First time I remember him doing it was in the playoff game against Favre and the Vikings. I think it was either late in the 4th quarter or during overtime that he did it and extended a drive, and in that particular case it was very clear that when he was downed he was short of the line to gain but the officials gave him the forward progress.
That was Pierre Thomas

Because in that case, the player is actually downed (and the play is over) when he steps out of bounds, so the ball should be placed at the spot it was when the play ended.

In the case of Drew's leap, he isn't down until either a player holds him to prevent his forward progress, or he is touched down.

I May be wrong but i think I’ve seen players stretch the ball out and bring it back before they went out of bounds. That’s what i said in my first comment.

Yup. That was in the OT of the NFC Championship in 09'. Thankfully they didn't have a good enough angle to "move" the spot. Was sweating bad during that sequence.

As for Drew...

I'm with the few who think running that type of leap sneak is risky because it relies on the refs "getting it right" and as we know -- that's a scary proposition.

Brees pulled the ball back before he was contacted -- even if the contact to his helmet initiated the "forward progress" mark, he was given the spot at his arm's full extension -- which he retracted before being hit by a defender. So I believe we benefited from a close call.

I think Arians had grounds to challenge -- but it would have been almost impossible to overturn due to the pile-up. In the end -- the call worked, but it was very risky to rely on the refs.
Many seem to not understand what forward progress means or refuse to admit we got a favorable call from the refs. I would’ve been hot had Winston done that and been given the first down. Would’ve claimed the league hates us and the officials are ignorant.

SECTION 13 FORWARD PROGRESS ARTICLE 1. FORWARD PROGRESS. The Forward Progress of a runner or airborne receiver is the point at which his advance toward his opponent’s goal ends and is the spot at which the ball is declared dead by rule, irrespective of the runner or receiver being pushed or carried backward by an opponent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom