Drew Brees Almost Never Throws Deep Anymore. Is That A Problem For The Saints? It hasn’t been so far. (1 Viewer)

I am not sure these stats are correct. Pro Football Reference does not have the same stats. Their air yards per attempt which seems to be the major barometer for judging Brees shows him at 7.16 yards. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm This is only .54 yards below his career average.

Here are several observation I would like to make. One, Brees never has been noted since college for having a rifle arm. His skill sets included accuracy, quick release, and good judgement. Two, Brees had a mediocre outset in the first game, statistically. Since that point, I have no complaints about his field presence and his stats are comparable to his career average. Three, he does not really have a downfield speed receiver on the roster. (sub 4.4 speed is my definition)

Since that first game, there seems to have been some herd mentality in terms of complaints about Brees. This wave of negativity has continued to roll on despite the statistical facts and on field performance that blunts these opinions. This initial poor performance combined with his age seem to make it easy and simple for the naive observer to conclude he has lost it. We don't need Air Coryell type offensive performances from Brees to win games. If there is a slight statistical drop in performance from his peak years, then his other traits are more than adequate to compensate for diminished stats.

It's a problem in the post season when defenses are a lot tougher and cover the short/ intermediate passes well. Teams don't have to worry about a 50 yard bomb.

Like we would get those calls anyway. It's one thing that the PI penalty is the worst aspect of the game, it's another that teams use it for a quick 40 yards and it's yet another thing teams rely on it against the Saints.

Want to see what OPI looks like? Have Drew throw deep.
See what I’m saying. 1 deep shot today and.... PI! Use the advantage!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom