Drew Brees and the Oline (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Watching the game last night and the replay again this morning I agree with some of you that I’ve never seen him this uncomfortable. Watching the game and hearing the commentary they said something that rang a bell. We have the best bookend tackles in the league but that was never the Saints scheme. We always had a top 3 center and the best Guard tandem in the league. Brees was always able to step up and read the progression. He is rolling out a lot more and being forced to one side of the field. We need to focus on our interior lineman and their blocking. Even the commentators commented on our guards need to be better. Peat pulled and completely missed Bosa last night and Brees made an unbelievable play.

Yep, that was my comment.

I don't think he trusts his O line.

Reminds me of the tail end of the 2018 season when he was in the running for MVP with Mahomes.

Watching the game last night and the replay again this morning I agree with some of you that I’ve never seen him this uncomfortable. Watching the game and hearing the commentary they said something that rang a bell. We have the best bookend tackles in the league but that was never the Saints scheme. We always had a top 3 center and the best Guard tandem in the league. Brees was always able to step up and read the progression. He is rolling out a lot more and being forced to one side of the field. We need to focus on our interior lineman and their blocking. Even the commentators commented on our guards need to be better. Peat pulled and completely missed Bosa last night and Brees made an unbelievable play.

Yeah that was bad. Peat could've gotten Brees killed. And unfortunately that wasn't the first or last time it will happen (Aaron Donald anyone?)

Well, we said all this last season. It is not a new problem. Drafting Ruiz and resigning Peat was supposed to solve the problem, even though Peat was part of the problem. I do like the way Ruiz is developing, though. If he eventually slides to center and McCoy can kick out to RG (his natural position), I think that side of the line along with Ram will be dynamite.

This is just a thought but something I noticed in the second half and may be an indication of why he has struggled this year is that I think he may have reduced the number of steps on his drop back this year. Maybe it's so he doesn't have as far to throw the ball, but it seems to be stopping him from stepping into his throws and blocking his vision because he is too close to the line. What made me think about this is when he made his few downfield throws in the 2nd half, it seemed like he was taking deeper drops and was able to step into his throws.

I want to re-watch this game and some prior games and focus on how far he is dropping back.

Theyll have to work on that because you know with Brees pressure up the middle is his kryptonite and he is definitely not comfortable, which amplified his other limitation at his age.

but still....putting up 30 pts a game...

Yep, that was my comment.

I don't think he trusts his O line.

Reminds me of the tail end of the 2018 season when he was in the running for MVP with Mahomes.
And that is MIGHTY sad considering all the high draft picks they invested in that o line.

I think the Saints wanted to replace Peat and the player they wanted resigned for too much money elsewhere and Peat was the backup plan. Peat is also coming off an injury so he might not have been at full strength last night. Any critique of Peat versus Aaron Donald or Joey Bosa should be taken in context. They might be 1 and 2 at best pass rushers at their position in the league when healthy. Outside of drafting Ruiz or keeping Warford, who if I am correct never signed anywhere, what else could the Saints have done given their resources to improve the interior o line? I mean we have drafted McCoy and Ruiz as our top picks the last two years?

This is why we lost to Minnesota last year. They pressured up the middle and Drew had no time. Same reason we were able to put up huge numbers against SF. They play a wide scheme. Our SB era team had the best guard tandem in football.

Whats I also see though, is when Drew has good protection, he's checking down 90% of the time. Maybe the receivers aren't getting open, but I'd expect more challenging of the coverage. Good ball placement can negate good coverage and Drew is most known for it. Just not seeing it as much as I'd expect. It's there. He can do it. Just seeing too much safe ball.

And yet, we have one of the better offensive lines around...

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2020

they can toss around all the analytics they want....Drew is throwing for under 60% completion - for a reason.

In that stat, the leading factor is sack rate. Drew will throw away before taking a sack. That should be adjusted for. ( they only adjust for penalties on throw aways- intentional grounding- and drew does good job of avoiding by throwing to feet or past LOS )

When Drew has clean pocket, he is one of the best. When he doesnt, its average for a 41 yr old QB.

Weird, I see the line holding up just fine when Brees drops back to throw, he has plenty of time to hitch his throws 2-3 times before he dumps it off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom