Drew Brees apologizes for his comments on protesting during national anthem after backlash (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1591294660437.png

Scott Gleeson | USA TODAY

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees publicly apologized for "insensitive" comments he made about NFL players protesting during the national anthem.

In lengthy apology posted on Instagram Thursday morning, Brees said he stands with the black community and wants to be a leader for change. "I am sick about the way my comments were perceived yesterday, but I take full responsibility and accountability," he wrote.

Brees, the NFL's all-time passing leader and 13-time Pro Bowler, drew massive backlash from the sports world on Wednesday after he told Yahoo! Finance that he wouldn't be okay with protesting racial injustice and police brutality if it meant disrespecting the flag, arguing that standing during the anthem signified the country's unity and represented what civil rights leaders have fought for off the field.

"In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country," Brees said Thursday. "They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character." ....

Full Story - USA Today

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom