Drew Brees continues on the path to become the Statistical GOAT in virtually all important QB Statistics (1 Viewer)

Boiler Jim

Saint Boilermaker
Reaction score
Everyone on this board knows Drew Brees is very good. However, I think a lot of folks just don't realize how absolutely dominant Drew is when you look at the statistics designed to measure Quarterbacks. Brees Position on the all-time NFL leader Board and 2016 expectations, baring serious injury are below as well as projections of when he will eclipse the few players ahead of him, assuming he continues to perform at 90% of the level he has performed at the past couple years.

These comments are mine, the numbers come from this site:
2015 NFL Leaders and Leaderboards | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Passing Yards:
Drew is currently fourth on this list with 60,903 yards. He should pass Dan Marino, who is third with 61,361, in the second game this year. He is likely to pass both Favre and Peyton Manning in 2018 when Drew is 39. Manning retired at 40 and Favre at 41… So, baring injury, Drew is likely to surpass their milestones at an earlier age.

As you might expect, Drew has the highest number of passing yards per game in NFL history… although not that much ahead of Matthew Stafford (who can thank Megatron for an assist). He is 10 yards per game ahead of Manning, 11 ahead of Luck, 12 ahead of Warner, 20 ahead of Ryan, 23 ahead of Brady, and Rogers and so on….

Completion percentage:
Drew already has the highest career completion percentage in the history of the NFL. His percentage is 66.4%, Chad Pennington is second at 66.0%. Kurt Warner is nearly a percent behind at 65.5% Then Peyton Manning and Tony Romo come in at 65.3%.... Aaron Rodgers is behind Romo. Drew has the top two season completion percentages and 4 of the top 20. Pennington and Manning have two. No one else has more than 1 of the top 20 completion percentage seasons.

Completions:
Brees is already third on this list with 5365 completions. Favre is first on the list and Manning second. Drew should pass Manning next year and Favre the year after barring injury.

Passing TDs:
Drew and Tom Brady are tied on this list with 428. Drew has been in the League a year less than Tom. Manning leads with 539 and Favre is second with 508. Drew may get some separation from Tom due to Tom’s four game suspension this year. Drew may be able to pass Brett in 3 good years… Probably will take 4 years to pass Peyton.

Interceptions:
Drew broke into the top 25 in career interceptions this past year and is at number 23 on the list, behind a whole bunch of hall of fame or will-be hall of fame QBs all but three of whom have thrown for a lot fewer yards and TDs. Favre tops the list. Manning is ninth. Drew probably reaches number 20 on the list this year – unless Eli Manning passes him, which he might. I don't think Drew can catch Favre... he may, or may not, reach Peyton's numbers in four years.

Passer Rating:
Drew is 7th in Career passer rating. Above him are Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. With a couple good years, he can surpass Brady, Manning and Young. Wilson might fall with a bad year. Romo looks like Drew will need 3 good years to catch. For Drew to catch Aaron, Aaron will need to have a couple bad years while Drew is having a few good years.

So Drew Brees is still on course to own most of the key NFL QB statistics if he stays healthy the next few years…. I think he and the offense are going to secure these records (after all the entire crew, receivers, play callers, and OL are key in putting Drew in a position to achieve these records.)

Too think some want him gone! Sickening of you to want Drew gone.

We have the greatest QB this game has ever seen, accept it.

You're just trying to distract us from what's really going on here!! You're a pretty clever one with all of your statistical facts and such! But you're right. He's dominant. Gonna miss him when he's gone.

Drew and the Saints are one of the small market teams who the National Media discounts every year. For me the most startling thing is that a future Hall of Fame first ballot inductee has never been league MVP. Just amazing to me!

Drew is by far, and it's not at all close, the best QB the Saints have ever had by any measure. Yet a lot of fans want him gone. I just don't understand.

He will own them all before he is done. As long as Drew wants to play, I want him to be a Saint, I buy 4 season tickets every year and will continue as along as he is the QB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom