Drew Brees' extension looks like a win for the Saints -- Underhill (1 Viewer)

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Spotrac has Brees at fourth in career earnings amongst active players:

1 Eli Manning Career Earnings
Eli Manning
Quarterback $187,780,004
2 Tom Brady Career Earnings
Tom Brady
Quarterback $162,790,163
3 Philip Rivers Career Earnings
Philip Rivers
Quarterback $151,917,656
4 Drew Brees Career Earnings
Drew Brees
Quarterback $150,460,422

If this were a poker game, it looks like Brees flinched and Loomis took the hand, but shared some of the pot with Drew.

The point that kept sticking in my mind during all this drama was Drew's horrendous injury 11 years ago that would have ended the career of 98% of the QBs. He was playing out his SD contract and had no financial security going forward. Was he really willing to risk $44 million guaranteed to try and get a 4-year contract with more guaranteed. The memories of that horrific shoulder injury and the Doctors telling him he wouldn't play football again and the painful long rehab had to be in his mind.

I think the deal works for for both parties, but a 4-year guaranteed deal at his age with our O-line was way too risky for him to play out this year without any future guaranteed money.

I am not a salary cap guru, but I think there is one point that we are sort of missing when we look at the cap savings for 2017. How many people think that both the Saints AND Brees will want the 2017 season to be played under this deal without signing a "new deal" beyond the current dea? What I am saying is, assume Brees has a very good season this year. Going into the 2017 season, Brees essentially has a ONE year deal left, the same position the team and Brees were in two days ago. Does anybody think that both sides, assuming Brees looks good and team performs well in 2016, will want 2017 to be the "final" year? I cannot imagine a circumstance where a healthy Brees and good 2016 player/team performance does not work into a "new" deal for 2017/18. That would mean, that the 2017 cap hit will be HIGHER then we now project.

I am very happy about this deal. I think Brees will likely play 3+ more years and that the Saints have a legit shot at multiple playoff runs with the young defensive core that we now have.

Basically it allows a yearly renegotiation as long as Brees is healthy. It will probably be extended on roughy LT the same terms next year for the 18 season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom