Drew Brees' Hall of Fame numbers being squandered like no one else in history- Holder (1 Viewer)

It hit me after reading this article, "are we already back to being the old saints again?" It's very similar now to the Archie Manning years.

- years of ownership chaos
- years of terrible drafting
-years of terrible player moves
- years of bad coaching

Sounds a lot like the old saints

I'm willing to bet that Brees has missed the playoffs when passing for a 100QB rating during a season more than every other QB in the history of the NFL combined. That's how bad it is.

And yet none of those QBs played in prolific offenses like this one. The common denominator here is Payton is a mastermind OC with a great offense and very little defensive prowess.

Payton is as responsible for building this offense around Drew and calling those plays at Backbreaking moments as Drew is for making the throw. They are tied at the hip and would be lesser apart than they are together. So there's a bit of a caveat to this entire argument.

There was only 1 coach that's balanced Payton out... Gregg Williams and they hated eachother...but it worked and lead to a SB.

Unless DA is that guy reincarnated look for more Defensive woes moving forward. At the moment the health excuse is legit as I can only imagine the 2009 season starting out worse had we had the same amount of injuries.

I'll be patient with this season as I look for improvement once We get healthy but if there is none and we keep DA...rinse wash and repeat.

And yet none of those QBs played in prolific offenses like this one. The common denominator here is Payton is a mastermind OC with a great offense and very little defensive prowess.

Payton is as responsible for building this offense around Drew and calling those plays at Backbreaking moments as Drew is for making the throw. They are tied at the hip and would be lesser apart than they are together. So there's a bit of a caveat to this entire argument.

There was only 1 coach that's balanced Payton out... Gregg Williams and they hated eachother...but it worked and lead to a SB.

Unless DA is that guy reincarnated look for more Defensive woes moving forward. At the moment the health excuse is legit as I can only imagine the 2009 season starting out worse had we had the same amount of injuries.

I'll be patient with this season as I look for improvement once We get healthy but if there is none and we keep DA...rinse wash and repeat.

I am very scared on the idea of rinse and repeat, we have been doing this the last 4 years.

I do have faith (or hope) in Allen. I wish he will get the liberty to build a defensive culture for years to come. If this means benching, firing coaches, go even younger, so be it.

We talk a lot about these years being the last for Drew. I see this a little bit higher. It is Benson's last years. The structure remained as the most logical attempt to give him one more championship, and we failed.

There is no way to learn if there has been a change on strategy or if we are keeping status-quo. I hope we have learned our lessons.

Once again, great analysis - thx

There was only 1 coach that's balanced Payton out... Gregg Williams and they hated eachother...but it worked and lead to a SB..

This is the biggest point that gets missed in everything else that has happened since 2011. Great post.

This is the biggest point that gets missed in everything else that has happened since 2011. Great post.

Payton is a dominating personality.

So was Gregg Williams. Rob Ryan came here in 13 and made it work but he's also passive and allowed Payton to suggest a change of D.

Even said it himself.

"I wish I would have said something" In reference to Payton suggesting a change in scheme but he was all " I just want to be a tiny part of this teams success" passive and well you got 2014-2015. It's easy to see the problem here. Payton needs a Yin to his Yang. Otherwise hell impose his will and clearly any input he has on defense other than how to score on it from an offensive perspective needs to be flushed. The D coach needs Full Autonomy or you will consistently see issues. Again..hopefully DA is that guy and I think SP trust him. As has been noted SP has stayed out of his face on the sidelines to date so that's a start.

Someone like Tomsula or Vic Fangio would have been great hires. Can't remember which one of em it was that had Ahmad Brooks publicaly apologizing for complaining about pass-rush snaps within the scheme.

well the millions of dollars they are taking in ( both drew and coach) no doubt takes the sting out of the squandering.....i would imagine....for them anyway

Payton is a dominating personality.

So was Gregg Williams. Rob Ryan came here in 13 and made it work but he's also passive and allowed Payton to suggest a change of D.

Even said it himself.

"I wish I would have said something" In reference to Payton suggesting a change in scheme but he was all " I just want to be a tiny part of this teams success" passive and well you got 2014-2015. It's easy to see the problem here. Payton needs a Yin to his Yang. Otherwise hell impose his will and clearly any input he has on defense other than how to score on it from an offensive perspective needs to be flushed. The D coach needs Full Autonomy or you will consistently see issues. Again..hopefully DA is that guy and I think SP trust him. As has been noted SP has stayed out of his face on the sidelines to date so that's a start.

Someone like Tomsula or Vic Fangio would have been great hires. Can't remember which one of em it was that had Ahmad Brooks publicaly apologizing for complaining about pass-rush snaps within the scheme.

I've got the 2009 Championship run DVDs. I've watched those a ton. imho - I think that GW's defense won the Vikings game. 5 turnovers And the offense had like a total of 75 yards total offense from early 2nd quarter through OT. that was a defensive victory. And GW called a magnificent game in the SB. SP did also.

I want to keep SP, but agree with your assessment. SP needs help on defense and that help likely means taking complete control away from him.

SP and Loomis are trying too hard to make us competitive, to the point that they are getting in their own way. SP wants full control of the team. That's why he has his trusted buddies in all 3 facets of the team. SP needs to realize that he does not know defense, he should hire a legit DC. He doesn't know STs, he should hire someone that does. The fact that he coached us to a championship is completely blinding him. Sometimes, in people's lives, they forget what got you success, but your ego takes over. I'm hoping that "the plan" (all along) was to wait for 2017. That way, we'd have $$$ and we can make smarter personnel decisions, along with really making the necessary coaching changes. 2015 and 2016 wasn't going to be anything special, who were we trying to fool?

Remind me, who was the ST coach during the Super Bowl year?

I've got the 2009 Championship run DVDs. I've watched those a ton. imho - I think that GW's defense won the Vikings game. 5 turnovers And the offense had like a total of 75 yards total offense from early 2nd quarter through OT. that was a defensive victory. And GW called a magnificent game in the SB. SP did also.

I want to keep SP, but agree with your assessment. SP needs help on defense and that help likely means taking complete control away from him.

I don't like this one bit. It hints at SP still meddling on scheme and assignments and style of D. Doesn't need to be Sean or DA...just needs to be DA

When asked if it could be related to assignments, Byrd said, “I don’t know. I’m not gonna sit here and talk about assignments or things like that. That’s a question you can ask Sean or DA (defensive coordinator Dennis Allen). I’m just doing what I’m asked to do, and that’s it.

Saints' Jairus Byrd, James Laurinaitis off to disappointing starts - New Orleans Saints Blog- ESPN

That's a load of bull. You act as if the team is an embarrassment to him. Injuries have decimated us this year. You been under a rock. Also, do you think that Brees would get the same numbers with any receiving group?

Idk how he compares in history of NFL , but many including myself agree he is being wasted. He is not blameless in this but he is being wasted. This might be his 6th losing season while with the Saints, nothing else to call it.

really though....who actually thought Dennis Allen was the answer? I didn't. I get the feeling that he's gonna be around a long time.

I don't buy the narrative that he hated GW, everything was lovely until the gate and Jeff got back into coaching. I think SP made that up when things got hot. He knew what was going on (nothing), but he had to play the game to deflect blame.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom