Drew Brees has been throwing passes at receivers feet all year long. (1 Viewer)

BREENO

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Is it me or has Drew thrown a ton of horrible passes at our receivers feet every game this year. I get sometimes he is being pressured or throw to only where WR can catch ball, but a good deal he has had time to throw ball and receiver has been at least semi-open.

I noticed this a lot. Receivers have to go down to catch a lot of balls. It happens a lot with passes over the middle. I wonder if this is just inaccuracy or is it by design to protect his receivers from big hits. Maybe some of the film gurus here could tell us that.

I agree that something has been off and not quite right as a whole.

It kills our yac potential.

But, it would not shock me if we have access to advanced stats or something. Maybe defenders have a statistically less chance of INTs when they are below the waist. Who knows.

Drew is hurt a little. It seems to be his ankle and when that happens, the nerves kick in. He has been like that somewhat since his thumb injury. He usually fixes it in the game once he gets in a rhythm. Unfortunately, it’s been hard for him to get in a rhythm because the guys he is throwing to are fairly new. I don’t expect Drew to have perfect timing with Benny Fowler.

I look at it by design. But I attribute it to mostly guys not being in the same page. Look at some of the throws at Fowler. It is either too high or too low or just waiting for guys to get open, he seems frustrated. For the most part protection is there but there is a strong evidence of receivers and quarterback not on the same page. Brees just look too uncomfortable. There is a little hesitations and a bit longer to release the ball more so this year than previous.

Brees needs a perfect pocket to be accurate. Additionally, he probably has to go through more of his progressions since Mike Thomas is out.

I'm seeing a trend where he is more accurate with better receivers. I think we are seeing this year just how freakishly in sync he and MT were that for 4 years they only missed a handful of throws and timing routes. Sanders is starting to understand how to run routes for DB and he caught 10 passes last night. I'm really excited to see those two on the field together.

One the ground balls I am noticing that there is usually no more than 6 inches of space between WR and defender. So it isn't like he isn't leading them properly, they just aren't open. So then your options are either throw it low or high to get the yardage.

Last comment, Callaway improved a lot as the night went on at getting open and being where Drew expected him to be.

Yeah, I think he’s always thrown low in certain situations, so that only his guy has a chance at the ball.

But some of these this season are also just poor throws. I think it is a mix of the two.
mostly this
but now bc a narrative is getting set, fans don't remember that they've seen these types of throws for the entirety of Drew's tenure here and are jumping to some wild conclusions based on poor contextual analysis

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom