Drew Brees is a better QB with less talented receivers (1 Viewer)

Or maybe Brees actually felt comfortable with our interior line because Carolina has pretty weak interior.

Really?.. Look, I bleed B&G but comments like this are so asinine & embarrassing. Brady is one of the GOATs cuz he played with WRs that are a bunch of unknowns & so did DB. Name a receiver from '04 that won the SB for the Pat's or 2001w/o Google. It's OK to say that TB12 is the GOAT because we have one too.

I'm not entirely sure but David Patten. He played with us in 2007-2008 I believe so I remember him.

Brees has always been great. I don't agree with the OP exactly but I do believe something similar. MT is just such a safety outlet that he can make even a great QB take the easier completion. Once that wasn't there, it just took him a minute to regain confidence in doing it all the hard way. That was not our only issue early on but I do think it was part

Edit: I would also add that I do not want to take away from the other guys. TQS has really stepped it up finally and Callaway is a gem

I can see where this thinking comes from. He has always been at his best when he isn’t too reliant on a single player. Great to see Harris contributing more, and I really hope Callaway is alright. This dude is going to be great, and will add to an already good group of receivers when they’re all back healthy.

Cool drop back and pass all game long and see what happens. Saints will be a losing team the way that defense plays if you don't win TOP with the running game.
We ran 30 more plays and won TOP by plenty and still almost lost cause the D just give ups yards in chunks. So winning TOP doesn't make a difference when we have a D that can't stop anyone.

Last edited:
I saw the old Drew Brees today. He had a confident look in his eyes that I really hadn't seen all season. IMO opinion, Drew has had issues trusting these young receivers. Today there were no signs of that. We all know Drew likes to throw to spots, and I think these guys know were they need to be now. It was the same with Sanders the last couple of weeks. But look at guys like Willie Snead and Lance Moore. Once Drew has faith in you, you will get the chance to make plays.

Why I think it be smart to move Thomas in a trade for a safety.

But we also been in a down spiral in years past with that same thinking when our WRs wasnt great. Even when we had Graham and Brandin Cooks, the talent after that was a considerable drop off. Sure you could win with what we got now with Callaway, Jared Cook, Emmanuel, and Kamara being a dual threat, but next year no guarantee on any of that.

So im mixed on the situation, Thomas can provide limitless offense into the playoffs, but its needed to make up for the defense, or find a safety in a trade where the offense wont have to be limitless.

Last edited:
Just like when we had Graham, Brees seem to get tunnel vision with Thomas because he catches everything. With less talent Brees goes through more progressions and seems to throw the ball around more. This makes our offense harder to defend. I don’t mind the offense we put on the field today. We could win 13 easily with an average/above average D.
I hope
When Thomas comes back Brees realizes he has Sanders, Calloway and Smith to throw to as well.

I see similarities to when he had Graham.

He definitely did not play favorites today and it was a bit reminiscent of the a Coleton, Henderson, Cooper (? #18)B. Miller days where players just had to be where they were supposed to be an not a specific player getting his number called and everybody else running dummy routes.

I sure hope Callaway is ok and can play next week. The guy "has it" and Brees sees it.

Brees has always been his best when he can go through his progressions, some of that is done pre-snap. When he has a great receiving option, he can zone in on them too soon. He often still completes the pass, but if a Defense takes that option away, he can get frustrated.

CGM, Sanders, TQS and Callaway for a four WR set..... That's money.

Brees, is old... and his playing time is coming to an end.

but i love his play... and love the pieces around him... and will NOT forget how bad it was before he arrived... and how GREAT it has been with him.

rp

Totally agree. That’s why Colston was perfect. He wasn’t open every play and it forced Drew to spread the ball around.

As soon as Jimmy G blew up - tunnel vision. Forcing the ball to him.

The year we won the Super Bowl, 22 or 23 different players scored touchdowns. This year I bet it’s under 10.

Just like when we had Graham, Brees seem to get tunnel vision with Thomas because he catches everything. With less talent Brees goes through more progressions and seems to throw the ball around more. This makes our offense harder to defend. I don’t mind the offense we put on the field today. We could win 13 easily with an average/above average D.
I hope
When Thomas comes back Brees realizes he has Sanders, Calloway and Smith to throw to as well.
When we had Graham, we also had Colston, Moore, Henderson & Meachem, so I’m not sure where the “tunnel vision” comment comes from...or do consider those guys (along with Ginn, Watson, TQ, Cook) “less talent”?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom