Drew Brees is greedy, cares more about $ than winning (I was so wrong about that, thread) (1 Viewer)

zigzag

All-Pro
Reaction score
He has the most team friendly contract in the NFL. Basically signed a 1 year guaranteed with a team option for 4 extra years. Every other QB not named Fitzpatrick and 90% of the NFL contracts guarantee franchise tag plus half of their salary for the second season.

7 years 175 million with 50 million Guaranteed would've still been a fair contract. It's still only a guarantee of average salary for 2 years, and the team can ask him to take a pay cut or release him without owing him anything the third year.

The media led everyone to believe he was asking for at least 60 million, and felt he deserved it.

I was wrong about him putting money over winning and questioning his values .Drew can come to my house and punch me 44 million times in the face. i deserve it.

If Drew was willing all this time to sign for 44 million guaranteed Benson should fire Loomis after the 1st game. Putting the greatest player in franchise history through the media scrutiny and causing fans to turn on Brees for asking for them to pay him what he would have been owed without an extension. Brees is the only QB that hasn't received an extension with 2 years left after they won a super bowl. he's had it happen twice.

Starting to believe we are one of the worst organizations at taking care of star players. Fans have felt Nicks,Graham, and Brees were greedy, but if they were signed to an extension with 2 years left like other teams their negotiations wouldn't have played out in the media.

I'm very interested in seeing who actually owns up and posts in this thread.

bbc2ef71b4d2b48f4abea0a4bb471c16.jpg

Lol. Just playing.

But as I was reading the thread title, I thought some troll really was ragging on Brees. Had the popcorn halfway cooked before I realized what the thread was really about.

I never once thought he was greedy and don't know why anyone would think that. It's always been obvious he loves the town, the fans and the team and his actions show he is an outstanding human being. All we have heard up until the deal was done was nothing but gossip. The real reason our financial situation was terrible is because we invested to much in people who don't deserve to carry Drew's jockstrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point and was really hoping that he wouldn't break the bank. Tough not to love the guy - definitely a bromance, he just haven't met me yet!

Starting to believe we are one of the worst organizations at taking care of star players. Fans have felt Nicks,Graham, and Brees were greedy, but if they were signed to an extension with 2 years left like other teams their negotiations wouldn't have played out in the media.

Loomis dragged his feet on the prior contract for so long that they lost Nicks to FA. Losing Nicks started the wheels in motion. What you see today, the team needing 2 new guards (I anticipate AP switching to RT next year) can be traced back to that point in time.

I was prepared to lose him. I have defended and attacked him and am happily surprised he has such a team friendly contract.

he has the most team friendly contract in the NFL. Basically signed a 1 year guaranteed with a team option for 4 extra years. Every other QB not named fitzpatrick and 90% of the NFL contracts guarantee franchise tag plus half of their salary for the second season.

7 years 175 million with 50 million Guaranteed would've still been a fair contract. It's still only a guarantee of average salary for 2 years, and the team can ask him to take a pay cut or release him without owing him anything the third year.

the media led everyone to believe he was asking for at least 60 million, and felt he deserved it.

i was wrong about him putting money over winning and questioning his values .Drew can come to my house and punch me 44 million times in the face. i deserve it.

If Drew was willing all this time to sign for 44 million guaranteed Benson should fire Loomis after the 1st game. Putting the greatest player in franchise history through the media scrutiny and causing fans to turn on Brees for asking for them to pay him what he would have been owed without an extension. Brees is the only QB that hasn't received an extension with 2 years left after they won a super bowl. he's had it happen twice.

Just read the actual structure of the contract, wasn't aware it was only a one year.. extension . 25 million is still better than 43 million. No more franchise tag should help negotiations next time. Unfortunately there's going to be a next time. When they announced it earlier it sounded so much better. Would have been more relieving to know he was under contract until he was done playing.

I don't think I ever referred to the man as as greedy. He should get what he can, I was just not wanting to leave the team in bad shape with crazy cap numbers or dead money once he's done. More to do with what Loomis was willing to give than what Drew wanted to get. This contract works out great for us and puts another 24 million in Drew's pocket. I hope both sides are satisfied.

I would've been happy with the 4 year $100M number I saw in another thread. Drew definitely gave the hometown discount. I personally wish the contract was a little longer because we'll just be going through the same speculation after next season. He's got more than 1-2 years left in him.

Loomis dragged his feet on the prior contract for so long that they lost Nicks to FA. Losing Nicks started the wheels in motion. What you see today, the team needing 2 new guards (I anticipate AP switching to RT next year) can be traced back to that point in time.

Nicks' career was over the second he left New Orleans! Signing Grubbs to replace a player who was not going to continue in this league is the bigger issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom